Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT- Jump Start Box recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 7:56*am, "RogerN" wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. *I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. *Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.

RogerN

The two Diesel pickups I have owned already had two batteries. Why do
you need another? Using the block heaters helps a lot.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 10:56*am, "RogerN" wrote:
The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. *Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.
RogerN

Do you really need a packaged jump starter with a sealed battery to
use around the house? A trickle-charged old battery in a boat box with
a handle ought to be enough unless it could tip over in a vehicle,
which is the advantage of the jump start packs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that RogerN fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:56:43 -0600:

I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

You could buy a good high output AGM battery and add your own cables
and clamps.

I have one from harbor freight that has a 24Ah battery in it. Some
times it's on sale for about $60.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 10:56*am, "RogerN" wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. *I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. *Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.

RogerN

FWIW, I'd be careful trying to use one of the portable units to jump
start a Diesel. I bought one of the largest portable ones I could
find. I worked great for starting the cars and the garden tractor
etc., but I tried using it to help start a 12 volt 4 cylinder Diesel
Backhoe in the winter, and after cranking for about 15 seconds it
quit. I opened up the case and found it used a sealed lead acid
battery with thin terminal tabs. One of the tabs melted off right at
the top of the battery. Arghh. For the price of another portable I
bought a RV deep cycle/cranking battery and some heavy duty copper
clamps. I used some left over welding cable to give about 6' long
leads. This is a lot better than trying to balance the portable unit
with it's dinky 2' long cables to what ever is close to the dead
vehicles battery. I have no idea how they come up with a 600 amp
rating for these portable units...600 amps for more than a few seconds
would fry the cables right off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:56:43 -0600, "RogerN"
wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

I just want to buy a jump pack that is just a jump pack- Don't need
the work light, don't need the air compressor, don't need the
universal 3-6-9V adapter system...

22AH is a standard size, and if the cells are designed for high
current output for jump-starts the 600A claim could be legit.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.

Battery tenders would be the better idea, or solar trickle chargers.
Your batteries will live a lot longer if they are kept fully charged
at all times instead of slowly run to dead and left there, till you
try to use the item and put it on the overnight charger.

For the pickup truck, see if there's a space you can clear out under
the hood for an auxiliary battery and a diode charge isolator. You'll
have a lot better luck jumping the truck with a Group 24DC 90Ah Marine
Starting/ Deep Cycle battery mounted under the hood, than a 22Ah jump
pack. And it's always there...

And the DC battery is far better to run the winch and the television
for the tailgate party. Starting duty batteries do NOT like to be
deep cycled, they die in under a dozen deep excursions.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but those gel cells are dead in 4-5 years(or less), charged or
not, used or not. Most aren't rated for that service, either, refugees
from emergency lights or UPSes. I'd rather run a heavy 110 drop cord
out and use a starter/charger unit.

As far as the other poster with the Buick terminals, you verrry
carefully hook up the hot screw with the red lead and ground the black
to the engine block somewhere. Doesn't make for a lot of contact on
the jumper cable clamp, let it charge for 4-5 mins. before trying to
start. If you don't have room, you get to pull the battery, haul it
in, screw in a couple of bolts and charge it inside. The b-in-law's
Silverado is that way, everything crammed in around the terminals, No
Room. Takes an hour to get the sucker out. The starter also died
with no warning, locked up solid. I'm not a GM fan.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Might have got a lemon. I went to HF and got one with the 22
amp battery. One day my Blazer was dead, but the HF box
wouldn't start it. The box was a couple days old, and I'd
done the required over night on charge plug. So, it
"shoulda" worked.

My winchester with 17 amp battery started the Blazer right
up.

Later I got one at Napa Auto Parts for about $100 which
didn't say how many amp hour. But, it's worked fine the
several times I've used it. I sense the battery will last
longer than the HF units.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box.
I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't
know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for
reasonable money.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need
to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. Normal use is for mowers, tractor,
backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a
half dozen
battery tenders.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27261" wrote in message
A mildly stupid question, but how do you jump start cars with screw
terminals, where screws are not easily accessible.

There is normally an access point made available for the Positive side
so cables can be attached, sometimes enclosed in a red plastic box under the
hood.

--
Peter DiVergilio
All the money I ever wasted was spent trying to impress somebody who was

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:45:38 -0600, the infamous Ignoramus27261
scrawled the following:

A mildly stupid question, but how do you jump start cars with screw
terminals, where screws are not easily accessible.

With jumpstart terminal adapters, of course, Ig.
They're about 5" long, IIRC. http://fwd4.me/B5I cheaper elsewhere

If you get a pair, I strongly recommend heatshrinking one with at
least 2 layers of tubing. You don't want your hot terminal grounding
out in those tight spots!

--
What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of
having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

What's that Lassie? You say that Stormin Mormon fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:58:40 -0500:

Might have got a lemon. I went to HF and got one with the 22
amp battery. One day my Blazer was dead, but the HF box
wouldn't start it. The box was a couple days old, and I'd
done the required over night on charge plug. So, it
"shoulda" worked.

I got the largest one HF sells, 24 Ah I think. And the first thing I
did is open it up and check the connections. Not good. I replaced
the cheap clamps with a pair that I had around, and replaced the lugs
and internal cables at the battery and the heavy switch. I still
wouldn't believe the claims in the catalog(650/1200amp).

And I charge it with a good charger, I don't trust the built in
charger.

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Actually, I did have a set of cables from the last jump
pack. It did occur to me to overhaul it, and do as you
describe. But, I also figured that the internal battery was
probably as poor quality as the rest of the kit. So, it made
more sense at that moment to go buy one from Napa. So far,
I've been pleased with the Napa jump box.

Please make sure Lassie has a barrel of hot chocolate for
me, with extra milk and sugar.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dan wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that RogerN fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:56:43 -0600:

I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

You could buy a good high output AGM battery and add your own cables
and clamps.

I have one from harbor freight that has a 24Ah battery in it. Some
times it's on sale for about $60.

Their 17 AH unit (38391) is on sale for $29.95 this weekend (16th.,
17th. & 18th.) The regular price is $59.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38391

Here is the owner's manual:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...8999/38391.PDF

BTW, has anyone signed up for their 'Inside Track Club' at one of the
stores? $29.99 for a year of extra discounts, one hour pre-access to
their sidewalk sales before it's open to the general public, 12 coupon
books mailed to you through the year, and 52 emails of weekly specials.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually, I did have a set of cables from the last jump
pack. It did occur to me to overhaul it, and do as you
describe. But, I also figured that the internal battery was
probably as poor quality as the rest of the kit. So, it made
more sense at that moment to go buy one from Napa. So far,
I've been pleased with the Napa jump box.

Please make sure Lassie has a barrel of hot chocolate for
me, with extra milk and sugar.

You want to kill Lassie?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course, it's possible to run a gasoline powered
generator, and plug in such a booster / charger. But the
same people who have dead batteries away from civilization,
either leave the generator home, or don't own one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

Me too, but my inconsiderate friends insist on having
dead batteries
where the nearest outlet is at least a quarter mile away

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ideally, you put the hot chocolate IN the barrel, and it's
still hot when Lassie arrives. Note the chocolate is "for
me". I drink the hot chocolate, feed Lassie some meat
snacks, and then she leads me back to civilization. We stop
frequently along the way to mark trees. Her, cause she's
territorial. And wants to find her way back to civilization.
Me, cause I'm over 40 and just drank a barrel of hot
chocolate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
news

Please make sure Lassie has a barrel of hot chocolate for
me, with extra milk and sugar.

You want to kill Lassie?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ideally, you put the hot chocolate IN the barrel, and it's
still hot when Lassie arrives. Note the chocolate is "for
me". I drink the hot chocolate, feed Lassie some meat
snacks, and then she leads me back to civilization. We stop
frequently along the way to mark trees. Her, cause she's
territorial. And wants to find her way back to civilization.
Me, cause I'm over 40 and just drank a barrel of hot
chocolate.

You can't drink 55 gallons in one day.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll die happy, surrounded by women with a chocolate rush. I
could do worse.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ideally, you put the hot chocolate IN the barrel, and it's
still hot when Lassie arrives. Note the chocolate is "for
me". I drink the hot chocolate, feed Lassie some meat
snacks, and then she leads me back to civilization. We
stop
frequently along the way to mark trees. Her, cause she's
territorial. And wants to find her way back to
civilization.
Me, cause I'm over 40 and just drank a barrel of hot
chocolate.

You can't drink 55 gallons in one day.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 13, 10:08*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

* *You can't drink 55 gallons in one day.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image...80_1225675.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Seriously noble looking dogs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can't drink 55 gallons in one day.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/image...80_1225675.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 13, 7:42*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Seriously noble looking dogs.

I've been warned that their temperament varies considerably. Perhaps
the monks could maintain strict Ruhe und Ordnung regardless.

jsw