Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default OT- Jump Start Box recommendations

On Jan 10, 10:56*am, "RogerN" wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a good jump start box. *I saw one at
Wal-Mart with a 22Ah battery and claims 600A, but I don't know if it's a
good one or if there are better quality ones available for reasonable money.

The lower powered ones are of course cheaper but I may need to use this for
my Diesel Pickup truck. *Normal use is for mowers, tractor, backhoe, and
emergency use for automobiles... or perhaps I should buy a half dozen
battery tenders.

RogerN

FWIW, I'd be careful trying to use one of the portable units to jump
start a Diesel. I bought one of the largest portable ones I could
find. I worked great for starting the cars and the garden tractor
etc., but I tried using it to help start a 12 volt 4 cylinder Diesel
Backhoe in the winter, and after cranking for about 15 seconds it
quit. I opened up the case and found it used a sealed lead acid
battery with thin terminal tabs. One of the tabs melted off right at
the top of the battery. Arghh. For the price of another portable I
bought a RV deep cycle/cranking battery and some heavy duty copper
clamps. I used some left over welding cable to give about 6' long
leads. This is a lot better than trying to balance the portable unit
with it's dinky 2' long cables to what ever is close to the dead
vehicles battery. I have no idea how they come up with a 600 amp
rating for these portable units...600 amps for more than a few seconds
would fry the cables right off.