Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Morse 4.5 taper?

I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17642 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

I think that normally there would be an adapter sleeve which would go
between the 4.5 Morse taper and that used by the tailstock, 3mt perhaps.
Both my Harrison and Kerry have them. The Harrison M300 is 5mt to 3mt,
can't remember what the Kerry is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy:

There should be a 4.5MT to MT3 adapter available from Clausing. I've
got 2 5913's, and they have the same spindle center hole as your new
(to you) Clausing.

If you'd like to make one, I'd be happy to loan you one of mine to
take measurements.

They are great machines. And my experience with Clausing's Technical
Support has been excellent.

_kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Page 909 of machinery handbook lists all the specs. for a Morse 4.5 taper.
Email me if you need a print screen of these specs.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Page 909 of machinery handbook lists all the specs. for a Morse 4.5 taper.
Email me if you need a print screen of these specs.

Karl, I have the handbook myself, so thanks for the pointer, I will go
from here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-05, karchiba wrote:
Iggy:

There should be a 4.5MT to MT3 adapter available from Clausing. I've
got 2 5913's, and they have the same spindle center hole as your new
(to you) Clausing.

If you'd like to make one, I'd be happy to loan you one of mine to
take measurements.

Looks like Karl gave me some specs on this taper.

They are great machines. And my experience with Clausing's Technical
Support has been excellent.

Those are great guys. 14x48, 3 HP is a great combination of size and
power, as far as I am concerned. Would it be true to say that they are
not suitable for coolant?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
I am certain they are available. Call MSC or even Clausing. You can buy an adapter a lot cheaper than you can make one for. Do you
have a taper attachment?
Steve

"Ignoramus17642" wrote in message ...
I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17642 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Pretty common. My 1980s Enco Chinese 10" has that spindle bore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-05, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus17642 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?

Look into your copy of _Machinery's Handbook_ at the section on
"ASA tapers". You'll find that they have included Jarno, Morse, and one
other which I forget -- B&S perhaps? Anyway -- there is a big gap
between Morse Taper 4 and Morse Taper 5 -- and one which would be an
excellent fit for a 5C collet spindle, so they defined a Morse Taper 4.5
for that purpose./

Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

No -- but you could buy an adaptor sleeve from that to MT-3 from
Clausing -- or if you have a taper turning adaptor and a MT-3 finishing
reamer, you could try making your own, as I did a while back.

I think that normally there would be an adapter sleeve which would go
between the 4.5 Morse taper and that used by the tailstock, 3mt perhaps.

Yes -- available from Clausing. Not cheap, though.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-01-05, Karl Townsend wrote:

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?
Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

Page 909 of machinery handbook lists all the specs. for a Morse 4.5 taper.

Depends on the edition -- my 25th edition puts it on page 910.
What edition were you using?

Email me if you need a print screen of these specs.

Karl

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, I just received an email from Clausing. They have a Morse
4.5 to MT3 adaptor sleeve, part 7686, for $83.68 each. If I find that
my lathe works fine, I wil just buy it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5111 wrote:
By the way, I just received an email from Clausing. They have a Morse
4.5 to MT3 adaptor sleeve, part 7686, for $83.68 each. If I find that
my lathe works fine, I wil just buy it.

That's pretty high

But then I tried to find one online. I gave up after 15 minutes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That might be a Royal or other very high quality part.
These are short and therefore must be very precise.

I don't know what pretty high is - but quality tooling costs.

If hobby grade is what you want then go that route.
I tried to buy the best I could and cheap out on the stuff
I could replace later.

If you take a machine and add higher precision/accuracy to it the worst you
get is the machine spec. If you add lower quality parts, the machine degrades
to the precision/accuracy equal to the worse values.

Martin

RBnDFW wrote:
Ignoramus5111 wrote:
By the way, I just received an email from Clausing. They have a Morse
4.5 to MT3 adaptor sleeve, part 7686, for $83.68 each. If I find that
my lathe works fine, I wil just buy it.

That's pretty high

But then I tried to find one online. I gave up after 15 minutes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*If you add lower quality parts, the machine degrades
to the precision/accuracy equal to the worse values.

If that (tolerance stack-up).
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 6, 11:30*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"

If you take a machine and add higher precision/accuracy to it the worst you
get is the machine spec. *If you add lower quality parts, the machine degrades
to the precision/accuracy equal to the worse values.

Martin

Unless you can use the machine tool to custom-fit the part, like a
chuck backplate.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:40:24 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 6, 11:30*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"

If you take a machine and add higher precision/accuracy to it the worst you
get is the machine spec. *If you add lower quality parts, the machine degrades
to the precision/accuracy equal to the worse values.

Martin

Unless you can use the machine tool to custom-fit the part, like a
chuck backplate.

And that's what I'd suggest Iggy do, at least until he sees how often
he really needs a center in the headstock. In the meantime, make a
mild steel center that fits directly in the spndle. The taper can be
picked up by sweeping the spinble bore with an indicator and the
compound. Tweak the compound after checking the fit 'til the tapers
match. True up the point on the center each time you install it in the
headstock and it'll be at least as accurate, and probably better, than
a purchased adapter and center.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 9:35*am, Ned Simmons wrote:
...In the meantime, make a
mild steel center that fits directly in the spndle. The taper can be
picked up by sweeping the spinble bore with an indicator and the
compound. Tweak the compound after checking the fit 'til the tapers
match. True up the point on the center each time you install it in the
headstock and it'll be at least as accurate, and probably better, than
a purchased adapter and center.
Ned Simmons

My lathe came with a spindle adapter that wasn't quite right, so I
bought a Morse 3 to 5 adapter, annealed it, reamed the ID and began
fitting it to the spindle bore, using a drill arbor with center holes
to make it run straight.

As usual after starting to make one I found a spindle adapter that fit
properly.

I found that I had to clean up the compound dovetail to turn a smooth
taper. Most of the wear was on the bottom of the slide and corrected
by surface grinding. Fortunately the dovetail angles weren't too bad.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you only need a headstock center on rare occasions, you can make one on
the spot by chucking a piece of barstock in any chuck and turning the cone
in situ. Then don't move a thing until the job is done. Driving a dog might
be a problem but I've never had a problem getting my bent-tail dog to ride
against a chuck jaw.

I have the adapter, commercial centers, and a drive plate, but I only use
them when I have extra time to do the setup.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 9:58*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
If you only need a headstock center on rare occasions, you can make one on
the spot by chucking a piece of barstock in any chuck and turning the cone
in situ. Then don't move a thing until the job is done. Driving a dog might
be a problem but I've never had a problem getting my bent-tail dog to ride
against a chuck jaw....
Ed Huntress

Or if you already have a faceplate you can bolt some stock across the
center and bore it for the temporary point. Then it has a reasonable
chance of being centered the next time.

If you make one like Ed suggested and it fits your largest mill collet
you can use it as a hole finder.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Granted and implied.

Spindle runout added to spindle to insert adapter added to actual tool
then the work to the tail stock whatever.

Might give you ovals to tapers. Might just break cutter edges.

Martin

Glenn Lyford wrote:
If you add lower quality parts, the machine degrades
to the precision/accuracy equal to the worse values.

If that (tolerance stack-up).
--Glenn Lyford

Looking for Morse taper/1-8 adapter mac davis Woodturning 9 May 10th 06 03:23 PM
#2 morse taper to 1" - 8 J. Mark Wolf Woodturning 6 December 2nd 04 11:24 AM
Morse Taper Question Frank McVey Woodturning 3 October 30th 04 05:49 PM
morse taper Allan Adler Metalworking 6 April 30th 04 01:35 AM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM