Junior Member

Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Default #2 morse taper to 1" - 8

I inherited an old Delta Milwaukee lathe and accessories from my dad. Included is a large Jacobs drill chuck (1/2" capacity or better) with 1" - 8 threads. I seem to recall that this drill chuck used to "plug in" to the tail stock which is a #2 MT. I cannot find such an arbor anywhere. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does such an arbor exist somewhere?

I'd rather make use of this very good chuck that I already "own" than springing for a new one.
Arch

Hi J. Mark,

I'll take a guess that it's a 'headstock chuck'. They are hollow
allowing for continuous feeding of narrow stock thru the spindles of
metal lathes. They are expensive and not used much on wood lathes, but
would be a useful accessory to have. I presume yours is a wood lathe.

I think a MT adapter would cost more than a Harbor Freight 1/2" Jacobs
_type keyed chuck with a MT2 arbor (about $10). I find the H.F. ok for
woodturning and suggest you consider one. Then you'd have the
convenience of a headstock chuck that needs no drawbar plus a
head/tailstock chuck. BTW, the H.F. arbor is soft and easily tapped for
a 1/4" allthread drawbar.

Or.. maybe you just want an answer to your question. I don't have one.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...s-acc-tlstkadp

I'd pass on HF stuff unless you've got one in the neighborhood where you can
try before, and return face to face. Got my "Golden Goose" Taiwanese from
Woodcraft. Has a real nice pelican logo on it.

--
J. Mark Wolf

JMartin957

I inherited an old Delta Milwaukee lathe and accessories from my dad.
Included is a large Jacobs drill chuck (1/2" capacity or better) with
1" - 8 threads. I seem to recall that this drill chuck used to "plug
in" to the tail stock which is a #2 MT. I cannot find such an arbor
anywhere. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does such an arbor
exist somewhere?

I'd rather make use of this very good chuck that I already "own" than
springing for a new one.

--
J. Mark Wolf

That is a "headstock chuck" designed to screw onto the spindle threads. No
longer made. They are in demand and you should have no problem selling it on
eBay at enough to buy a brand new chuck and arbor for your tailstock. If you
don't want to go the eBay route you'll find someone on this group willing to
swap you - let me be the first.

I've not seen any commercial arbors to adapt a 1" x 8 to a #2 Morse. Could be
that someone had made one up.

John Martin
william_b_noble

try www.use-enco.com see page 304 of the master catalog to get started - you
can always cut threads on the jacobs taper if you must.... Or sell the
chuck and buy another.

"J. Mark Wolf" wrote in message

I inherited an old Delta Milwaukee lathe and accessories from my dad.
Included is a large Jacobs drill chuck (1/2" capacity or better) with
1" - 8 threads. I seem to recall that this drill chuck used to "plug
in" to the tail stock which is a #2 MT. I cannot find such an arbor
anywhere. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does such an arbor
exist somewhere?

I'd rather make use of this very good chuck that I already "own" than
springing for a new one.

--
J. Mark Wolf

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Mark

What is the tread size on your lathe's head stock shaft, does the Jacobs
chuck fit on there ?
Don't just discard that chuck, if you have to buy one it's going to cost
you a pretty penny, I've got some model numbers for what Jacobs calls
special manufactured items, the 36B, 3/4"- 16 is listed at $242.70 and
the 33BA 5/8"-16 at $111.20, I don't see a 1"-8 But assume the price
will be similar or more.
Now if you want a morse taper with thread, the best I can do for you is
give you Busy Bee as a place that has morse tapers that have ground hard
tapers and a 1" end on it, that is soft, so it can be machined, you
could get one of those and have a machine shop cut the thread on it for
you.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

"J. Mark Wolf" wrote

I inherited an old Delta Milwaukee lathe and accessories from my dad.
Included is a large Jacobs drill chuck (1/2" capacity or better) with
1" - 8 threads. I seem to recall that this drill chuck used to "plug
in" to the tail stock which is a #2 MT. I cannot find such an arbor
anywhere. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does such an arbor
exist somewhere?

I'd rather make use of this very good chuck that I already "own" than
springing for a new one.

--
J. Mark Wolf

Obfuscated

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:59:25 +0000, J.Mark wrote:

I inherited an old Delta Milwaukee lathe and accessories from my dad.
Included is a large Jacobs drill chuck (1/2" capacity or better) with
1" - 8 threads. I seem to recall that this drill chuck used to "plug
in" to the tail stock which is a #2 MT. I cannot find such an arbor
anywhere. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does such an arbor
exist somewhere?

I'd rather make use of this very good chuck that I already "own" than
springing for a new one.

Give KITT Industrial Tools a try -- that's where I got my 1/2" dia. x
MT2 holder from. They probably have 1x8tpi x MT2 laying around somewhere.

(Not certain where you are from ... there might not be one near you. I
suppose a good googling might be worth a try, too.)

Bill

Morse Taper Question Frank McVey Woodturning 3 October 30th 04 05:49 PM
Jacobs Chuck on Jet Mini Lathe AWood70928 Woodturning 27 June 30th 04 07:29 PM
FS Morse Taper Drill Drivers MP Toolman Metalworking 0 June 28th 04 03:24 AM
morse taper Allan Adler Metalworking 6 April 30th 04 01:35 AM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM