Frank McVey

Default Morse Taper Question

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi
I have a Record Coronet Lathe.The headstock has a MT#1. When ordering
assessaries for the tailstock should I assume that if the headstock is
morse taper #1, then the tailstock is also morse tape #1.
This may seem to the informed " a stupid question "
Since the headstock nose has a tapered shank and the tailstock a non
tapered shank. Also the shank for the headstock is significantly smaller
in overall diameter than the shank for the tailstock.
Question again! When ordering a tailstock chuck what morse taper do i
request?

Thanks
Keith

Ps
Specifications state " Headstock Spindle and tailstock barrel bored to
suit a #1 taper shank"
My comment is the Tailstock shank is not tapered..

Thanks again
Keith ( Newbie )

Seems strange, Keith. I have an ancient Coronet Major and both the
headstock and tailstock have No1 MTs. All the components - dead centres,
live centres, Jacobs chucks etc fit equally well in either headstock or
tailstock. Have you tried offering the headstock driving spur up to the
tailstock to see if it fits?

It may be that some previous owner has had a new tailstock insert made up
for some special purpose, in which case you'd simply take it along to your
nearest light engineering works and have the machinist bore/ream it out to
the correct taper.

Cheers

Frank

---

Keith Young

Hi
It seems that the Tailstock spur is mounted in a larger adapter which is
not tapered, so that it will fit. Anyways the picture of the bore on the
KMS.com ad seems to correspond to the bore on my tailstock.

Keith

Ps does this server allow pictures as i can send you one.

Keith
"Frank McVey" wrote in message
[...]

dalecue

[...]

are you refering to the "Outside" diameter of the tailstock shank
if so, these are not tapered - the taper is "internal"bored - inside
the shank

I would be _very_ surprised if it isn't a standard MT1 tailstock

HTH
Dale

Thanks again
Keith ( Newbie )

Frank McVey

"Keith Young" wrote in message
Hi
It seems that the Tailstock spur is mounted in a larger adapter which is
not tapered, so that it will fit. Anyways the picture of the bore on the
KMS.com ad seems to correspond to the bore on my tailstock.

Right, I got the pictures you sent by email. As you now realise, the whole
barrel is withdrawn in the pix, and this is, in effect a cylindrical sleeve,
with the centre reamed out to 1 MT. Problem solved!

Cheers

Frank

---

**Update** Lathe Troubles Donald Vivian Woodturning 10 August 2nd 04 05:06 AM
morse taper Allan Adler Metalworking 6 April 30th 04 01:35 AM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM