Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Morse 4.5 taper?

On 2010-01-05, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus17642 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Clausing. I got some specs of this
lathe, as in:

Motor 3 HP, 3 phase
14x48" size
Morse 4.5 spindle taper.

As an aside, the Clausing guy was awesome. He promised to email me the
manual for this lathe and will also look up the original accuracy
specs on this lathe, so that I could compare its current performance
with original performance.

In any case, this Morse 4.5 (four and a half) taper left me
confused. Is that a standard Morse taper, or what is that exactly?

Look into your copy of _Machinery's Handbook_ at the section on
"ASA tapers". You'll find that they have included Jarno, Morse, and one
other which I forget -- B&S perhaps? Anyway -- there is a big gap
between Morse Taper 4 and Morse Taper 5 -- and one which would be an
excellent fit for a 5C collet spindle, so they defined a Morse Taper 4.5
for that purpose./

Could I find a center that would fit this spindle?

No -- but you could buy an adaptor sleeve from that to MT-3 from
Clausing -- or if you have a taper turning adaptor and a MT-3 finishing
reamer, you could try making your own, as I did a while back.

I think that normally there would be an adapter sleeve which would go
between the 4.5 Morse taper and that used by the tailstock, 3mt perhaps.

Yes -- available from Clausing. Not cheap, though.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564