Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Morse 4.5 taper?

On Jan 7, 9:58*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
If you only need a headstock center on rare occasions, you can make one on
the spot by chucking a piece of barstock in any chuck and turning the cone
in situ. Then don't move a thing until the job is done. Driving a dog might
be a problem but I've never had a problem getting my bent-tail dog to ride
against a chuck jaw....
Ed Huntress

Or if you already have a faceplate you can bolt some stock across the
center and bore it for the temporary point. Then it has a reasonable
chance of being centered the next time.

If you make one like Ed suggested and it fits your largest mill collet
you can use it as a hole finder.

jsw