Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 ACP ammo

Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

Btw, the only major caliber I can find ammo for is the .40 S&W. Too bad I don't have one
(Yet).

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee
RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to
conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates
on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

One of the flatter-shooting, and, in the right gun, more accurate handgun
cartridges available, until the last few years. Shooting factory ammo will
break the bank; you have to handload it if you're going to shoot targets on
a regular basis.

In terms of energy, the factory round is roughly the same as a .38 Spl., but
you can handload it to considerably higher velocities. I think the factory
loads have to deal with some little cockeyed derringer made for the round.
The Ruger SSM will tolerate some souping-up.

Btw, the only major caliber I can find ammo for is the .40 S&W. Too bad I
don't have one
(Yet).

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:15:22 -0500, Wes wrote:

Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

Btw, the only major caliber I can find ammo for is the .40 S&W. Too bad I don't have one
(Yet).

Wes

I would suggest that you try before you buy. The recoil of the .40
S&W is kinda unique, and acceptance of recoil varies a lot among
shooters. I know a petite woman that shoots a .40 very well indeed,
and I know guys that shoot .45ACP, .357 Mag and .45 Colt very
accurately that can't hit crap with a .40. I shoot a .40 XD well
enough for SD and HD, but my shot placement is definitely better with
both 9mmp and .45ACP. YMMV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee
RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to
conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates
on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

BTW, if Hawke etc. don't know this, the .32 H&R Mag is a hunting caliber for
small-to-medium game, not a defense caliber. I bought my Ruger SSM
specifically for hunting javelina, which weigh around 50 lb.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

Btw, the only major caliber I can find ammo for is the .40 S&W. Too bad I don't have one
(Yet).

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Oh yeah!

I (heart) my Bersa.

Best thing that ever came out of Argentina.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g Lee
RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to
conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates
on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

BTW, if Hawke etc. don't know this, the .32 H&R Mag is a hunting caliber for
small-to-medium game, not a defense caliber. I bought my Ruger SSM
specifically for hunting javelina, which weigh around 50 lb.

Wahat???

YOU CALL 50 POUNDS A PIG????

SHEESH.

Yankees...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

No. I call it a javelina. It has the wrong number of toes to be a pig. no
kidding

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self
defensive
purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.
Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g
Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy to
conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the plates
on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

BTW, if Hawke etc. don't know this, the .32 H&R Mag is a hunting caliber
for small-to-medium game, not a defense caliber. I bought my Ruger SSM
specifically for hunting javelina, which weigh around 50 lb.

It may be that the .32 Mag used to be a hunting caliber but not any more.
If you look around at some of the new guns chambered for this caliber you
will see most of them are designed for self defense. Particularly the
small frame revolvers. The advantage in using this caliber is that you can
get six cartridges into the small frame revolvers that up to now only held
five. The .32 Mag has been around a long time and has been out of favor
because it's not a very powerful cartridge. But in a small frame modern
revolver it's now right about on par with the .38 spl. I also have a
friend who shoots that cartridge out of a Thompson Contender. It's great
for target shooting. The accuracy he gets from that thing is exceptionally
good. So it's looking like an old unpopular cartridge is making something
of a comeback. Personally, I don't see much use for it though.

Hawke

It was never very popular but it's not that old (1984). Like some other
hunting cartridges for handguns it has good penetration but little stopping
power. I'd consider it to be a lousy defense gun but a good killer, due to
the penetration, and it was never really made for defense in the first
place.

I think it was _Guns & Ammo_, or one of the other shooting magazines, that
tested it in a Ruger SSM and shot the tightest groups they'd ever shot in
any revolver. If the shooter is up to it, it's good out to 100 yards on game
up to the size of javelina or coyotes, etc. -- it shoots flat for a handgun
cartridge. This particular shooter is not good out to 100 yards with a
handgun. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 03:17:12 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

ayup. Shrug...hunting 400lb+ russian boar with a spear seperates the
boys from the men.

Gunner, 3 boars with a spear.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self
defensive purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g
Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy
to conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the
plates on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

BTW, if Hawke etc. don't know this, the .32 H&R Mag is a hunting
caliber for small-to-medium game, not a defense caliber. I bought my
Ruger SSM specifically for hunting javelina, which weigh around 50 lb.

Where do you go to hunt these pygmies?

South Texas Javalina run to ~150#.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

Arizona. The average javelina runs around 50 lb. The record is 84 lb. g

You may be mixing them up with feral pigs, or something else. You can tell
by wrestling one to the ground and counting the toes on his hind feet. If he
has three toes, it's a javelina. If it has four, it's a pig. If it gores the
hell out of your face when you try this, it could be either one. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

I'll take your word for it.

But that's still only 50 pounds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

That's fifty DELICIOUS pounds, pard'. If you kill him in the right place
(geographically), he's already pre-seasoned with mesquite.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:51:42 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Shrug...hunting 400lb+ russian boar with a spear seperates the
boys from the men.

Gunner, 3 boars with a spear.

What, no velociraptors barehanded?

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 01 Jan 2010 20:59:32 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

If you have a .380 why would you want to use lead bullets? Guns that
shoot .380 ammo are not good for anything but short range self
defensive purposes. They are not guns that people shoot very much.

Actually my Bersa 95. normally using some reloads built around a 102g
Lee RN is one of my
favorite guns. Cheap to shoot, actually has a bit of recoil and easy
to conceal and
carry. Fixed barrel blow back, pretty accurate. Knocks over the
plates on the plate rack
reliably.

Ed likes a .32 Mag iirc, so don't diss minor calibers.

BTW, if Hawke etc. don't know this, the .32 H&R Mag is a hunting
caliber for small-to-medium game, not a defense caliber. I bought my
Ruger SSM specifically for hunting javelina, which weigh around 50 lb.

Where do you go to hunt these pygmies?

My backyard for one, NW AZ.
http://www.citlink.net/~wmbjk/images/javelina.JPG Not that I've
weighed any.

South Texas Javalina run to ~150#.

Is that one you weighed, or one that gummer told you that he killed by
sticking a pencil in its ear? :-)

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/javelina-info.htm

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Shrug...hunting 400lb+ russian boar with a spear seperates the
boys from the men.

Gunner, 3 boars with a spear.

What, no velociraptors barehanded?

Wayne

But he tried for four, and the last one got him. His voice is much higher
now...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:49:00 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Shrug...hunting 400lb+ russian boar with a spear seperates the
boys from the men.

Gunner, 3 boars with a spear.

What, no velociraptors barehanded?

Wayne

But he tried for four, and the last one got him. His voice is much higher
now...

Excellent! Now he can tell us about singing out a high note until
blood started coming out of an elephant's ears, for yet another trophy
head on his trailer wall!

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

There's little resemblence between a Collared Peccary (aka Javalina) and
a feral hog.

Having weighed several in the 125-150 range (dead), I could only wonder
if you were after young ones (better eating) as opposed to the mature
adults (more & better leather)...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

Either I'm not understanding you, or something is fishy about your javelina.
Most of the records come from Arizona, where they refer to records in the
75 - 85 pound range. A Texas javelina hunting site refers to 84 pounds as
the maximum weight:

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/javelina-info.htm

Science sites say 55 lb. maximum weight, but they aren't talking about
records or trophies.

Are we talking about the same thing? Collared Peccary and Javelina are
described as the same animal on science sites: Pecari tajacu.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

What? No whale with a hand thrown harpoon? Or did you just forget about
that one? You can do better than three pigs with a spear. How about a
pocket knife, yeah, a Boy Scout knife is even better.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"RAM³" wrote in message
0...
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

"Wes" wrote in message
Hawke wrote:

[...]

For all I know, the "big ones" may all have been taken before anyone
bothered with record-keeping. grin

The ones that my Dad, Great Uncle, and I took (as described previously)
were shot during the early-to-mid '50s on my Great Uncle's ranch about 30
miles North of Laredo and weighed on scales that read to 300#.

Yes, we're talking about the same critters. grin

45 ACP ammo Wes[_2_] Metalworking 20 January 3rd 10 02:03 AM
45 ACP ammo Gunner Asch[_5_] Metalworking 2 December 31st 09 01:37 AM
45 ACP ammo Gunner Asch[_5_] Metalworking 0 December 30th 09 12:04 AM
45 ACP ammo Gunner Asch[_5_] Metalworking 0 December 30th 09 12:02 AM
45 ACP ammo Gunner Asch[_5_] Metalworking 0 December 29th 09 11:57 PM