Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 45 ACP ammo

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:00:35 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Gunner, who collected (3) 5gallon buckets full of wheel weights
today.
Offered and gave the guy $10 for about 300 lbs..maybe 400 lbs
of good clean used wheel weights. Because they will become
Illegal in California on Jan 1st.

What is the reasoning behind that?

They won't be illegal in California.

Under the settlement, Chrysler will end the use of factory-installed lead
wheel weights in vehicles sold in California by July 31, 2009. In
addition,
wheel-weight producer Plombco Inc. of Canada will end shipments of lead
wheel weights to California by the end of this year. Producers Perfect
Equipment Inc. and Hennessey Industries, both based in LaVergne, Tenn.,
will
stop shipments to California by the end of 2009.

"We are pleased that the court has approved settlement of this matter so
that we can move forward with our aggressive plans to eliminate the use of
lead wheel weights in our products," a Chrysler spokesman said. "By the
end
of this month, we expect that all of the vehicles we produce will be
equipped with wheel weights made from alternate materials -- 11 months
ahead
of the schedule set in the settlement agreement in California."

Lead wheel weights have been under attack for several years by
environmentalists. They were banned by the European Union in 2005 and are
being phased out in Japan and Korea. The U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency is sponsoring a voluntary initiative to reduce the use of lead
wheel
weights but has not banned them.

Goodyear and other big tire makers are already phasing them out, as are
all
the major automakers.

"For environmental reasons, this is the direction the industry is going,"
said a spokesman for Goodyear, which has 83 company-owned tire stores in
California.

http://www.ceh.org/index.php?option=...3&Item id=243

--
John R. Carroll

Is it really that big a deal? I'm asking that as an uninformed person. I
remember when lead shot was restricted, and steel shot and bismuth was
substituted. People still duck hunt, so I guess it all worked out. Did the
tree huggers move on to something else? Are the new weights made of
"alternate materials" going to be something exotic that costs a lot more?
Just wondering.

Steve

New Law: No More Lead in California
October 20, 2009

As of Jan. 1, 2010, lead wheel weights are banned in the state of
California.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 757 into law on Oct. 11,
bringing to a close a more than five-year effort by environmental groups
to ban lead wheel weights in the state.

The ban specifically makes illegal the sale and installation of lead
wheel weights on passenger vehicles and trucks.

The bill was co-sponsored by the Center for Environmental Health and
Clean Water Action.

Currently there is no federal law regarding lead wheel weights, though
the EPA has asked automakers and the aftermarket to voluntarily cease
using such weights.

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

So!

Seems appropriate.

Silver Bullets only?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:40:19 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

New Law: No More Lead in California
October 20, 2009

As of Jan. 1, 2010, lead wheel weights are banned in the state of
California.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed Senate Bill 757 into law on Oct. 11,
bringing to a close a more than five-year effort by environmental groups
to ban lead wheel weights in the state.

The ban specifically makes illegal the sale and installation of lead
wheel weights on passenger vehicles and trucks.

The bill was co-sponsored by the Center for Environmental Health and
Clean Water Action.

Currently there is no federal law regarding lead wheel weights, though
the EPA has asked automakers and the aftermarket to voluntarily cease
using such weights.

So!

Seems appropriate.

Silver Bullets only?

No way. Even if we could afford them, The Vampire Lobby will get
them outlawed. With all the bullets outlawed then nobody can shoot
their guns, and the world will be an even safer place...

(Yeah. Right. Suuuuure....)

-- Bruce --