Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OK, Where did I Put It?

My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

Sorta like my 7/32-40 that I think is for screw in aperature sights. Too cold to go out
to the shop to find the tap.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Sort of like my tap and die box. Spilled it a while back and thought I had
all the pieces. Has extras I have aquired over the years. So, need a 3/8
pipe die. Luckily the neighbor has one for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote:

Sort of like my tap and die box. Spilled it a while back and thought I had
all the pieces. Has extras I have aquired over the years. So, need a 3/8
pipe die. Luckily the neighbor has one for me.

I was about to turn a new stud to hold my AXA tool post. I grabbed my Mitutoyo digital
mic's. Dead batteries. Grabbed the 1-2" one that I bought later, dead too.

What sucks is I bought a cased set of Starrett non digital mic's at a company auction that
were in calibration. All the time I was drywalling and finishing the shop they set on the
right side of the vise on my Bridgeport. Today, when I actually needed the 0-1", I
couldn't find the case.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 5:35*pm, Wes wrote:

I was about to turn a new stud to hold my AXA tool post. *I grabbed my Mitutoyo digital
mic's. *Dead batteries. *Grabbed the 1-2" one that I bought later, dead too.

What sucks is I bought a cased set of Starrett non digital mic's at a company auction that
were in calibration. *All the time I was drywalling and finishing the shop they set on the
right side of the vise on my Bridgeport. *Today, when I actually needed the 0-1", I
couldn't find the case.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wagewhore wrote:

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

I hope that means the SR44 batteries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-30, Tim Wescott wrote:
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

It is in the bucket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
wrote:

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

I hope that means the SR44 batteries.

I spent an hour looking for my tubing flaring kit. In the mean time I
found about five other items I had misplaced or forgot I had. I found a
nice Milwaukee hammer drill that I bought at an auction a while ago that
I forgot I had. I did eventually find the flaring tool kit but that was
after I figured out a different way to install a fuel filter on my oil
burner.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

Just pop over to the house. I've got mine in my set out in the shop. I
just checked it the other day and all the taps were in place with no empty
holes (rarity).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
wagewhore wrote:

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

I hope that means the SR44 batteries.

SR or LR?

LR 44 batteries are very common. Currently Energizers are 99¢ from one of
my vendors. Can sometimes find the no names for about 69¢.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John" wrote in message
Wes wrote:
wrote:

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

I hope that means the SR44 batteries.

I spent an hour looking for my tubing flaring kit. In the mean time I
found about five other items I had misplaced or forgot I had. I found a
nice Milwaukee hammer drill that I bought at an auction a while ago that I
forgot I had. I did eventually find the flaring tool kit but that was
after I figured out a different way to install a fuel filter on my oil
burner.

John

I was cutting some aluminum tubing for a Kayak cart. Can not find the
tubing cutter I was using, so get out the spare. POS spare. The 40 year
old cutter, cuts a nice straight cut. The new POS has so much slop in it
that it tries to cut a spiral in the 1" tubing. Probably works fine on 1/4"
copper. Too cold to look for it today and work on the cart.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Like the 1/2x64 tap I have. Thank goodness I have the die!

Martin

Tim Wescott wrote:
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

Just pop over to the house. I've got mine in my set out in the shop. I
just checked it the other day and all the taps were in place with no empty
holes (rarity).

Problem is, I have aquired extra taps and duplicate taps and dies, so there
are all filled holes, and a few extras in the case. Just not all the
correct die in a hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"wagewhore" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 5:35 pm, Wes wrote:

I was about to turn a new stud to hold my AXA tool post. I grabbed my
Mitutoyo digital
mic's. Dead batteries. Grabbed the 1-2" one that I bought later, dead too.

What sucks is I bought a cased set of Starrett non digital mic's at a
company auction that
were in calibration. All the time I was drywalling and finishing the shop
they set on the
right side of the vise on my Bridgeport. Today, when I actually needed the
0-1", I
couldn't find the case.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

Now here is the way it goes at Flash's Factory of the Forlorn:

1. Need tool
2. Spend thirty minutes searching for tool.
3. Give up search.
4. Go to Harbor Freight or to the Borg or to Harvey's Handy Hardware and
buy another
5. Use Brand new replacement tool
6. Put it somewhere where it will be certain that it will not get lost.
7. Discover three other units of the same tool - that were bought because
we cold not find the ones we KNEW we had already - LYING RIGHT THERE WHERE
WE PUT THE NEW ONE.

Some tools are found in my place in quantities of four and five. (If found
at all - someday, I MUST get this place organized)

I've just never misplaced the mini-mill, yet, but wouldn't another one be
cool?

Flash

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I have found in those cases one of two things will happen:

You will find it. (But maybe not for ten years)

You will not.

HTH

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:37:46 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I have found in those cases one of two things will happen:

You will find it. (But maybe not for ten years)

You will not.

HTH

Steve

And if you do find it, it will be in the last place you look.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:37:46 -0800, Steve B wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop
is messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I have found in those cases one of two things will happen:

You will find it. (But maybe not for ten years)

You will not.

HTH

Steve

I'll find it right after I order its replacement, most like.

I'm going to take a peek under my drill press.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Flash" wrote in message

"wagewhore" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 5:35 pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

yeah really, i know, i've been putting off and putting off buying a claw
hammer. i set my *very favorite* and *long* time claw hammer down somewhere
and CAN'T find it. been without a claw hammer for MONTHS because i knew as
soon as i bought a new hammer, i mean, a week after i bought a new hammer,
after the new one all scratched up and can't return it, my very favorite old
claw hammer is going to show up right in front of my face. my old hammer
was a stanley with a fiberglass handle. the handle is pretty bunged up but
i love it. i always envied the estwing hammers, and they no longer make the
old fashioned plain old stanley hammer (now it's all jazzed up, i can't
STAND jazzed up stuff, it's like the industrial designers are designing
stuff for kids, just give me the plain old version) so i got a estwing
hammer. actually i'd prefer the old fashioned stanley with the fiberglass
handle over the estwing, sometimes i pull nails by applying sideways
pressure to the handle and that thin steel web of a handle kinda worries me
for sideways pressure, and the issue of vibration/shock through the steel
handle. i still haven't used it yet though because i was trying to trick
the gods into revealing where i put my old hammer, i was hoping to not get
the estwing all scratched up so i could return it but the gods are onto me.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Flash wrote:

Now here is the way it goes at Flash's Factory of the Forlorn:

1. Need tool
2. Spend thirty minutes searching for tool.
3. Give up search.
4. Go to Harbor Freight or to the Borg or to Harvey's Handy Hardware
and buy another
5. Use Brand new replacement tool
6. Put it somewhere where it will be certain that it will not get
lost. 7. Discover three other units of the same tool - that were bought
because we cold not find the ones we KNEW we had already - LYING
RIGHT THERE WHERE WE PUT THE NEW ONE.

I couldn't find my chalk line yesterday, looked everywhere it should have
been, and in a couple of places it shouldn't have.

Last time I had it was a month ago, when I put up some hardiboard around the
tub.

I hope it's not behind the hardiboard....

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 1:27*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
I'm going to take a peek under my drill press.

I gave up trying to store things neatly and dump all similar items in
one drawer, thus greatly reducing the number of drawers needed and
filling them more efficiently. The taps are stored with nuts on them,
to protect the threads, and if the size isn't legible I can try the
nut on a known male thread, which I probably have handy when I need to
tap that size.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 01:12:40 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I have found in those cases one of two things will happen:

You will find it. (But maybe not for ten years)

You will not.

HTH

Steve

And if you do find it, it will be in the last place you look.

Um, Ger, if you find it in the first (or tenth) place you look, AND
you keep on looking, you have something decidedly wrong with you.

--
It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars.
-- Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
My 1/4-32 tap. I know it's around here somewhere, but dang this shop
is
messy. And it's not like I can get one at Home Despot, either.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

I have found in those cases one of two things will happen:

You will find it. (But maybe not for ten years)

You will not.

HTH

Steve

And if you do find it, it will be in the last place you look.

Um, Ger, if you find it in the first (or tenth) place you look, AND
you keep on looking, you have something decidedly wrong with you.

I've found some great stuff like that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
wagewhore wrote:

According to Murphy's Law your set of Starret Mics will miraculously
appear about 3 minutes after you have bought replacements..

I hope that means the SR44 batteries.

SR or LR?

LR 44 batteries are very common. Currently Energizers are 99¢ from one of
my vendors. Can sometimes find the no names for about 69¢.

Looks like SR44, LR44, and A76 are the same. Bought batteries for my digimatics but still
can't find that cased set of starretts. Somehow I lost my fishtail gage w/o leaving the
shop. Argh!

Paid 3 bucks a piece for those batteries at a local hardware store. Oh well, I could have
got a better price but I'd had to drive 45 to 90 miles. Just didn't seem worth it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

I spent an hour looking for my tubing flaring kit. In the mean time I
found about five other items I had misplaced or forgot I had. I found a
nice Milwaukee hammer drill that I bought at an auction a while ago that
I forgot I had. I did eventually find the flaring tool kit but that was
after I figured out a different way to install a fuel filter on my oil
burner.

I saw my double flaring kit just the other day. Sadly it is imperial and now cars are
metric

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:22:11 -0500, Wes wrote:

LR 44 batteries are very common. Currently Energizers are 99¢ from one of
my vendors. Can sometimes find the no names for about 69¢.

Looks like SR44, LR44, and A76 are the same. Bought batteries for my digimatics but still
can't find that cased set of starretts. Somehow I lost my fishtail gage w/o leaving the
shop. Argh!

Paid 3 bucks a piece for those batteries at a local hardware store. Oh well, I could have
got a better price but I'd had to drive 45 to 90 miles. Just didn't seem worth it.

Wes

SR44 and LR44 are very similar in size and voltage..but not...not..in
performance or in price.

LR44 are alkaline batteries..and do NOT hold the same amount of power
over time as the (silver) SR44 batteries.

Most electronic mikes and gauges use SR44 batteries. Using LR44 in a
Mitty digital will get you about 4-5 months OR LESS before the low
battery warning indicator comes on.

Now..I buy (10) LR44 batteries on a single card for a buck $1.00 at the
local 99c store and stick em in the mikes..but I keep a card or two of
them in the mike box on my benches and swap them out regularly.

SR44s can be bought on Ebay for about $1 each..with few going much
lower..they simply cost more money to manufacture so they are going to
cost.
Oh..and on Ebay..read the ads CAREFULLY! They may be selling you LR44s
i n the small print.

A typical ad...

100x AG13 LR44 L1154 357 A76 SR44 PDA BATTERY WHOLESALE

0 Bids
Buy It Now

$0.99
$1.99
1d 22h 49m

Those are LR44s...and will not last in most measuring devices.

Just a heads up....

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766