Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OK, Where did I Put It?

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:22:11 -0500, Wes wrote:

LR 44 batteries are very common. Currently Energizers are 99¢ from one of
my vendors. Can sometimes find the no names for about 69¢.

Looks like SR44, LR44, and A76 are the same. Bought batteries for my digimatics but still
can't find that cased set of starretts. Somehow I lost my fishtail gage w/o leaving the
shop. Argh!

Paid 3 bucks a piece for those batteries at a local hardware store. Oh well, I could have
got a better price but I'd had to drive 45 to 90 miles. Just didn't seem worth it.

Wes

SR44 and LR44 are very similar in size and voltage..but not...not..in
performance or in price.

LR44 are alkaline batteries..and do NOT hold the same amount of power
over time as the (silver) SR44 batteries.

Most electronic mikes and gauges use SR44 batteries. Using LR44 in a
Mitty digital will get you about 4-5 months OR LESS before the low
battery warning indicator comes on.

Now..I buy (10) LR44 batteries on a single card for a buck $1.00 at the
local 99c store and stick em in the mikes..but I keep a card or two of
them in the mike box on my benches and swap them out regularly.

SR44s can be bought on Ebay for about $1 each..with few going much
lower..they simply cost more money to manufacture so they are going to
cost.
Oh..and on Ebay..read the ads CAREFULLY! They may be selling you LR44s
i n the small print.

A typical ad...

100x AG13 LR44 L1154 357 A76 SR44 PDA BATTERY WHOLESALE

0 Bids
Buy It Now

$0.99
$1.99
1d 22h 49m

Those are LR44s...and will not last in most measuring devices.

Just a heads up....

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766