Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default military brass

I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it
for a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one
hand and transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Satisfying, isn't it! The best part of my favorite revolver is NOT policing
brass. I'll bet the .308 throws 'em a mile in all directions. I found these
nice grabbers for old people at the drug store to pick up brass...I qualify,
don't I? They didn't ask for my AARP card. I'm trying to think of a way to
color my auto-loader brass so I can retrieve them at the local range easily.

What have you learned about headspacing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What have you learned about headspacing?

I guess I haven't learned any more. I'm just resizing the neck down to the
shoulder and it works fine in my gun. I've reloaded a few bullets three
times and they still work fine. I'll just worry about it when I have a
problem, i guess.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

I use a swaging die to fix the pocket but there are other ways.

Reloading is a pretty pleasant way to spend an evening. There seems to be an ingrained
desire to produce something in my kind of people. The rest tend to be useless eaters.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:33:35 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

One assumes you fired some of your ammo in testing before cranking out
1000 rds?

And jervelcomen!

Its good to see folks actually reloading rather than spending more and
more money on factory ammo.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One assumes you fired some of your ammo in testing before cranking out
1000 rds?

We fired a dozen into the dark friday night before the kid went out with his
buddies. He had a bit of trouble waking up this morning (lots o' beer does
that to you) and we had tons o' customers cutting down Xmas trees in the
firing range all day. Mom thought it poor form to waste a customer. The kid
said we'd only scare them and maybe wing one but she wasn't convinced VBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:42:16 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

What have you learned about headspacing?

I guess I haven't learned any more. I'm just resizing the neck down to the
shoulder and it works fine in my gun. I've reloaded a few bullets three
times and they still work fine. I'll just worry about it when I have a
problem, i guess.

Karl

You did good. Just be sure to try them in another rifle if you decide to
give some to somone else or get a second rifle of the same cartridge
type.

Next we will teach you about neck sizing dies.....G

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RoyJ" wrote in message
a light mist of blue (or your choice of colors) layout dye works nicely,
cleans up easily later.

Bu

I tried Dykem but it leaves too much in the chamber, maybe a lighter
application.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What have you learned about headspacing?

I guess I haven't learned any more. I'm just resizing the neck down to the
shoulder and it works fine in my gun. I've reloaded a few bullets three
times and they still work fine. I'll just worry about it when I have a
problem, i guess.

Karl

You did good. Just be sure to try them in another rifle if you decide to
give some to somone else or get a second rifle of the same cartridge
type.

Next we will teach you about neck sizing dies.....G

Gunner

Is it the same with all shouldered rimmless cartridges? In .308 there is
this imaginary circle in the shoulder. Rimmed or belted cartridges have a
different reference point. When you start looking at pressure wave
deflection and focus, my eyes start to glaze over. Sometimes I'm amazed
that any of this **** works at all. The more I know, the less I know...the
variables start to really pile up. On the other hand, it all DOES work to a
greater or lesser extent, it's chasing the tiny details that ballistic
experts have been dealing with for years that I find interesting yet mind
boggling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RoyJ" wrote in message
a light mist of blue (or your choice of colors) layout dye works nicely,
cleans up easily later.

Bu

I tried Dykem but it leaves too much in the chamber, maybe a lighter
application.

Dilute it with acetone. You can get it so thin it won't flake off.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 8:33*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another *brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Are these Berdan or boxer primed?
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. ..

"Buerste" wrote in message

"RoyJ" wrote in message
a light mist of blue (or your choice of colors) layout dye works nicely,
cleans up easily later.

Bu

I tried Dykem but it leaves too much in the chamber, maybe a lighter
application.

Dilute it with acetone. You can get it so thin it won't flake off.

Harold

Mmmmm...acetone...mmmmmm!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 22:53:30 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes..it really does work for nearly all shouldered cartridges, rimmed
and rimless. Including the belted magnums.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another *brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Are these Berdan or boxer primed?
Karl

One assumes boxer. Berdan is rather rare in the US and is a pain in the
ass to reload for.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote:

I'm trying to think of a way to
color my auto-loader brass so I can retrieve them at the local range easily.

I just color the primer with a permanent marker.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Yes..it really does work for nearly all shouldered cartridges, rimmed
and rimless. Including the belted magnums.

Gunner

STILL have e-mail issues, I assume the Internet gods are at fault.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one hand and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Are these Berdan or boxer primed?
Karl

One assumes boxer. Berdan is rather rare in the US and is a pain in the
ass to reload for.

Gunner

I have a ton of Berdan primed ammo on hand for the 8mm Mauser. Surplus
ammo. Loaded REAL hot though. Not bad stuff as long as you don't try it
in some lightweight rifles.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it
for
a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one hand
and
transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Are these Berdan or boxer primed?
Karl

One assumes boxer. Berdan is rather rare in the US and is a pain in the
ass to reload for.

Gunner

I made a fixture to drill out some .223 steel cases Berdan and converted
them to Boxer. If I had a lot of them, I would have bought or made a collet
for my W&S #2 turret lathe. That would have been FAST! I reloaded the Wolf
cases just to see if I could...still don't like 'em.
(I fixed the e-mail)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

Save the empties, it's not hard to convert them to Boxer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:33:35 -0600, Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid" and I
just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as silk once we
learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on military brass. Just put a
counter sink in the lathe and run it at about 500. Touch the brass to it
for a second and its perfect. I got to grabbing another brass with one
hand and transferring it to the other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

When I read the subject line, I thought this was gong to be about generals
and stuff. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 11:15:49 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

Its probably..though not always...probably made for a machine gun. Lots
and lots of machine gun ammo came into the US and sold.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:38:31 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

Blink blink....what method is used?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

I have a ton of Berdan primed ammo on hand for the 8mm Mauser. Surplus
ammo. Loaded REAL hot though. Not bad stuff as long as you don't try it
in some lightweight rifles.

Its probably..though not always...probably made for a machine gun. Lots
and lots of machine gun ammo came into the US and sold.

Gunner

This stuff is Turkish made, comes all preloaded in strippers and set up
for the Mauser.
I have to remind folks that it is NOT civilian ammo.

The problem with 8MM is that many of the early guns used a smaller bore
in the barrel. The early (model 1888 and 1898) 8mm was loaded to a
nominal 2,034 fps with a 227-grain .318 inch bullet. This one referred
to as the 8x57J.
In 1905 it was replaced with a high-velocity version loaded with a
154-grain Spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,936 fps. The new
increased to .323 inch.

So to make it safe for ALL guns they load down civilian ammo to make up
for the problem. However if your sure you have the later bore the
mil-surp stuff really wakes up the gun. Also corrects the minor problem
of the low zero from the sights being set to zero at 300 meters.

I am currently looking at pulling down the GEW I have and putting a new
barrel on it in 8mm but shorter and thicker. Then a good stock. Make it
into a nice carry gun.(The current barrel is SHOT so it's not a big loss)

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 18:32:32 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

True indeed. However....318 barrels are actually rather rare, due to the
amount of time between 1909...G and now. Ive seen (1) that was .318.
Most military arms were returned to the arsenal and rebarreled long
before WW1. Ive been a Mauser fan for many years, and have at one time
or another, owned probably more than 150 Mausers, from the 71/84 to post
WW2.

Ive got a civilian 98..made by Kornbush (pre DWM) and its .323..made in
1915 for civilian market. Obviously pre WW1. When Kornbush started
making them for the Wermacht..they were so marked and the Co. was
dropped

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww1/gew98.pdf

So to make it safe for ALL guns they load down civilian ammo to make up
for the problem. However if your sure you have the later bore the
mil-surp stuff really wakes up the gun. Also corrects the minor problem
of the low zero from the sights being set to zero at 300 meters.

True indeed.

I am currently looking at pulling down the GEW I have and putting a new
barrel on it in 8mm but shorter and thicker. Then a good stock. Make it
into a nice carry gun.(The current barrel is SHOT so it's not a big loss)

Other than having a massive quantity of 8mm on hand..why not barrel it
in .308/7.62 Nato?

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I've had a couple of the small bores.
Probably a total of 25 various Mausers myself.

[...]

Already have a "couple" in 7.62 Plus I like having the occasional
oddball. They make the gun cabinets more fun...

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Oh..ok. Then simply go to Numrich Arms or the various gun auction sites
and order a new barrel.

http://www.98mauser.com/

http://sst.benchrest.com/

Gunner

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 6, 2:11*am, "Snag" wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm mostly posting to say thanks to Gunner, Tom, and Don. "The Kid"
and I just finished reloading 1000 rounds 9mm. It went smooth as
silk once we learned the trick to chamfer the primer ring on
military brass. Just put a counter sink in the lathe and run it at
about 500. Touch the brass to it for a second and its perfect. I got
to grabbing another brass with one hand and transferring it to the
other to chamfer really fast.

Thanks again for all the help getting us in the reloading bidness.

Karl

Are these Berdan or boxer primed?
Karl

* Boxer . Berdan cases are too much of a PITA to decap , and I've yet to
find a source for the primers . Wish it were easier , I've got lots of
Berdan primed cases ... and I really hate to toss them after only one use
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:34:19 -0500, "Buerste" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 01:31:26 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 5, 8:33 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
[...]

How did you close up the existing multiple flash holes?