Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default military brass

Gunner Asch wrote:

I have a ton of Berdan primed ammo on hand for the 8mm Mauser. Surplus
ammo. Loaded REAL hot though. Not bad stuff as long as you don't try it
in some lightweight rifles.

Its probably..though not always...probably made for a machine gun. Lots
and lots of machine gun ammo came into the US and sold.

Gunner

This stuff is Turkish made, comes all preloaded in strippers and set up
for the Mauser.
I have to remind folks that it is NOT civilian ammo.

The problem with 8MM is that many of the early guns used a smaller bore
in the barrel. The early (model 1888 and 1898) 8mm was loaded to a
nominal 2,034 fps with a 227-grain .318 inch bullet. This one referred
to as the 8x57J.
In 1905 it was replaced with a high-velocity version loaded with a
154-grain Spitzer bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,936 fps. The new
increased to .323 inch.

So to make it safe for ALL guns they load down civilian ammo to make up
for the problem. However if your sure you have the later bore the
mil-surp stuff really wakes up the gun. Also corrects the minor problem
of the low zero from the sights being set to zero at 300 meters.

I am currently looking at pulling down the GEW I have and putting a new
barrel on it in 8mm but shorter and thicker. Then a good stock. Make it
into a nice carry gun.(The current barrel is SHOT so it's not a big loss)

--
Steve W.