Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A good day, metal related.

Had a good day today. Uncle wasn't sick anymore so he came over to help drywall the
machine room out in the garage. We sure wouldn't earn a living doing this. We are way
too slow. Having the machines in the way doesn't add to our speed.

I have 2 1/2 sheets to go, I can start putting devices in most of the utility boxes, and
after a nailer over head get put in, I have a room that can be heated with my lathe and
bridgeport inside.

Snowed today, didn't stick, supposed to snow again tonight but be sunny tomorrow. I'll
head over to homedespot at get the three sheets in the morning, weather permitting.

The main project for this winter which may take years is to build a RG&G .22 cal Gatling
gun. http://www.gatlingguns.net/

I'm sure there will be a lot of side projects such as a collet closer for the lathe for
starts.

If Bruce is paying attention, who makes a decent set back thermostat for an electric
baseboard heater?

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:42:20 -0400, Wes wrote:

Snowed today, didn't stick, supposed to snow again tonight but be sunny tomorrow. I'll
head over to homedespot at get the three sheets in the morning, weather permitting.

The main project for this winter which may take years is to build a RG&G .22 cal Gatling
gun. http://www.gatlingguns.net/

NICE!!!

I wonder what it would take to size it up for .38 Special or 357 Mag?

And I wonder if one could add a small electric motor mount around the
crank shaft..not adding a motor of course! That would be Illegal as
hell!

But it would be a nice thing to have a decorative gizmo similar to an
electric motor mount on the gun, wouldnt it? For something Simliar to a
small 12vt DC electric motor..but not the motor of course. Just the
wiring, motor mount, firing switch and so forth. For..ah..er...for a
Stereo! Thats it..for mounting a stereo on the gun!!!

Hummmm........

How much were the plans?

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 02:56:56 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:42:20 -0400, Wes wrote:

Snowed today, didn't stick, supposed to snow again tonight but be sunny tomorrow. I'll
head over to homedespot at get the three sheets in the morning, weather permitting.

The main project for this winter which may take years is to build a RG&G .22 cal Gatling
gun. http://www.gatlingguns.net/

NICE!!!

I wonder what it would take to size it up for .38 Special or 357 Mag?

Quite a bit, I'd imagine. Stresses would skyrocket.

And I wonder if one could add a small electric motor mount around the
crank shaft..not adding a motor of course! That would be Illegal as
hell!

Ayup, prolly so.

But it would be a nice thing to have a decorative gizmo similar to an
electric motor mount on the gun, wouldnt it? For something Simliar to a
small 12vt DC electric motor..but not the motor of course. Just the
wiring, motor mount, firing switch and so forth. For..ah..er...for a
Stereo! Thats it..for mounting a stereo on the gun!!!

Hummmm........

How much were the plans?

Only about $60 for BPs, but $10,900 for a complete gun. thud

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:42:20 -0400, Wes wrote:

Snowed today, didn't stick, supposed to snow again tonight but be sunny tomorrow. I'll
head over to homedespot at get the three sheets in the morning, weather permitting.

The main project for this winter which may take years is to build a RG&G .22 cal Gatling
gun. http://www.gatlingguns.net/

NICE!!!

I wonder what it would take to size it up for .38 Special or 357 Mag?

More effort than I am willing to put out. Besides, .22 is something I can afford to
shoot.

And I wonder if one could add a small electric motor mount around the
crank shaft..not adding a motor of course! That would be Illegal as
hell!

But it would be a nice thing to have a decorative gizmo similar to an
electric motor mount on the gun, wouldnt it? For something Simliar to a
small 12vt DC electric motor..but not the motor of course. Just the
wiring, motor mount, firing switch and so forth. For..ah..er...for a
Stereo! Thats it..for mounting a stereo on the gun!!!

I think I'll just avoid prison on that one.

Hummmm........

How much were the plans?

I think I spent 55 bucks but I bought them a couple years ago.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Only about $60 for BPs, but $10,900 for a complete gun. thud

Yup, there is a bit of machining and assembly required. So far I have about 700 dollars
into it and I haven't made a chip yet.

Wes
--

Someone please resolve for me the dichotomy of 'ignorance of the law is no defense'
with congress critters telling me they don't read the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:38:09 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Only about $60 for BPs, but $10,900 for a complete gun. thud

Yup, there is a bit of machining and assembly required. So far I have about 700 dollars
into it and I haven't made a chip yet.

How do the costs break down, Wes? Spill!

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

How do the costs break down, Wes? Spill!

I see RGG sells material kits for 719.00.

My current total is for raw material, screws, pins, spring wire, gears, and the reamers I
need. I remember this from a year and a half ago when I was buying stuff. What you want?
My invoices?

The gun carriage will be made out of oak. I think I have some out in the wood pile or
over at uncles or brothers. I know we sawed some up over the years. Uncle and I are
partners in a DIY band mill.

The wheels could be fun. The idea of shrinking a steel tire over a wheel sounds more
appealing than just putting a brass decorative strip on.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

My current total is for raw material, screws, pins, spring wire, gears, and the reamers I
need. I remember this from a year and a half ago when I was buying stuff. What you want?
My invoices?

Nah. Hell, just send the kit so far. Got my address? gd&r

In your dreams

The wheels could be fun. The idea of shrinking a steel tire over a wheel sounds more
appealing than just putting a brass decorative strip on.

Drop by your library and pick up a copy of _The Wheelwright's Shop_ by
George Sturt. Wunnerful read. Elm's the ticket for hubs, or was.

My library doesn't have it. Then I did Amazon and one of the reviews said the one I was
looking at was the abridged version only containing the how-to's. I'll have to do some
research on this one. I'd like the how-to along with the stories that is in the original.

We may have some elm, I remember uncle taking down some elm that he was worried would die
anyway, I'll have to ask what he cut it into. I know I don't have any here.

Thanks for the pointer.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:37 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

My current total is for raw material, screws, pins, spring wire, gears, and the reamers I
need. I remember this from a year and a half ago when I was buying stuff. What you want?
My invoices?

Nah. Hell, just send the kit so far. Got my address? gd&r

In your dreams

Indeed!

The wheels could be fun. The idea of shrinking a steel tire over a wheel sounds more
appealing than just putting a brass decorative strip on.

Drop by your library and pick up a copy of _The Wheelwright's Shop_ by
George Sturt. Wunnerful read. Elm's the ticket for hubs, or was.

My library doesn't have it. Then I did Amazon and one of the reviews said the one I was
looking at was the abridged version only containing the how-to's. I'll have to do some
research on this one. I'd like the how-to along with the stories that is in the original.

Someone stole the lone copy I read from this library, too, damnit.

Try eBay for these knockoffs: http://fwd4.me/u5
or
http://www.amazon.com/Wheelwrights-S.../dp/0521091950
$6.99 for the 1962 paperback.

http://isbn.nu/9780521065702 $6.75 for the 1974 hardcover.

We may have some elm, I remember uncle taking down some elm that he was worried would die
anyway, I'll have to ask what he cut it into. I know I don't have any here.

I believe he used the crotches for the hubs. They had the strongest
crosslinked cells of all the hardwoods they'd tried.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:57:33 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:37 -0400, Wes wrote
Larry Jaques wrote:

Drop by your library and pick up a copy of _The Wheelwright's Shop_ by
George Sturt. Wunnerful read. Elm's the ticket for hubs, or was.

My library doesn't have it. [...]

We may have some elm, I remember uncle taking down some elm that
he was worried would die anyway, I'll have to ask what he cut it
into. I know I don't have any here.

I believe he used the crotches for the hubs. They had the strongest
crosslinked cells of all the hardwoods they'd tried.

For about 30 years, several states have prohibited doing much
with elm except burning, shredding, or burying it. All states
except Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, New Mexico
and Utah have quarantines against bringing elm wood into them,
per http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/NURSERY/reg_ded.shtml
and http://www.elmcare.com/caring/disposal_of_dead_elms.htm
which says "Wood should be burned immediately. It should not be
stored. Some communities have strict by-laws prohibiting the
storage and transportation of elm firewood. If there is
insufficient space for burning, the wood can be buried."
Some of the rules only apply to elm that died of Dutch Elm
Disease, but many are so broad they apply to any elm.

Things may be changing. Last May, Manitoba repealed its
11-year-old Dutch Elm Disease Act with all its elaborate
provisions like allowing peace officers and others to stop
vehicles and search them for that highly dangerous substance,
elm wood. ("The driver shall immediately bring the vehicle or
machinery to a stop and remained stopped as long as the officer
considers necessary in order that the officer may inspect the
vehicle or machinery for elm wood.")
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/repealed/d107e.php

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:05:32 -0500, the infamous James Waldby
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Amazing.

Things may be changing. Last May, Manitoba repealed its
11-year-old Dutch Elm Disease Act with all its elaborate
provisions like allowing peace officers and others to stop
vehicles and search them for that highly dangerous substance,
elm wood. ("The driver shall immediately bring the vehicle or
machinery to a stop and remained stopped as long as the officer
considers necessary in order that the officer may inspect the
vehicle or machinery for elm wood.")
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/repealed/d107e.php

And this _started_ in 1998?!? I thought that DED was long gone, but I
was mistaken.
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/ho...ednecrosis.htm

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/trees/pp324w.htm

To bring this back on topic, I believe elm bark beatles listen to
heavy metal music.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:

[...]

I better do some checking. I know Ash is subject to a ban on moving it due to the Emerald
Ash Borer.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

My library doesn't have it. Then I did Amazon and one of the reviews said the one I was
looking at was the abridged version only containing the how-to's. I'll have to do some
research on this one. I'd like the how-to along with the stories that is in the original.

Someone stole the lone copy I read from this library, too, damnit.

Try eBay for these knockoffs: http://fwd4.me/u5
or
http://www.amazon.com/Wheelwrights-S.../dp/0521091950
$6.99 for the 1962 paperback.

http://isbn.nu/9780521065702 $6.75 for the 1974 hardcover.

I already commited to paying for a interlibrary loan search. Used to be free to search
now the library charges two bucks. Not that I'm complaining, I librarians time costs
money.

Someone scored the 6.99 if I didn't miss it in the listing.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

And this _started_ in 1998?!? I thought that DED was long gone, but I
was mistaken.

Dayum, I remember Earl Butz talking about Dutch Elm Disease when I was a youngster if my
mind hasn't gone. Totally forgot about it until my brain decoded DED after my last reply.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:46:34 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

My library doesn't have it. Then I did Amazon and one of the reviews said the one I was
looking at was the abridged version only containing the how-to's. I'll have to do some
research on this one. I'd like the how-to along with the stories that is in the original.

Someone stole the lone copy I read from this library, too, damnit.

Try eBay for these knockoffs: http://fwd4.me/u5
or
http://www.amazon.com/Wheelwrights-S.../dp/0521091950
$6.99 for the 1962 paperback.

http://isbn.nu/9780521065702 $6.75 for the 1974 hardcover.

I already commited to paying for a interlibrary loan search. Used to be free to search
now the library charges two bucks. Not that I'm complaining, I librarians time costs
money.

Yeah, but librarians are paid by county funds to which I already
contributed. When our library was a county object (they defunded it 3
years ago and the citizens are funding it now), they had moved to a $5
per book interlibrary loan. If I'm going to pay that much money, I
want a book I keep, TYVM. I found Amazon marketplace, ISBN.nu,
Alibris, and dozens of others which start pricing at a penny. I've
never sought another interlibrary loan. If I wanted a $500 research
paper, I'd spring for the $5 and scan the necessary parts.

Someone scored the 6.99 if I didn't miss it in the listing.

Next up is one for $7 even, cheapskate. I found it a really
fascinating book, having read it back in my entirely Neanderthal
years.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:53:53 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

And this _started_ in 1998?!? I thought that DED was long gone, but I
was mistaken.

Dayum, I remember Earl Butz talking about Dutch Elm Disease when I was a youngster if my
mind hasn't gone. Totally forgot about it until my brain decoded DED after my last reply.

No, no. The Queen stopped it in Manitoba in '98.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I already commited to paying for a interlibrary loan search. Used to be free to search
now the library charges two bucks. Not that I'm complaining, I librarians time costs
money.

Yeah, but librarians are paid by county funds to which I already
contributed. When our library was a county object (they defunded it 3
years ago and the citizens are funding it now), they had moved to a $5
per book interlibrary loan. If I'm going to pay that much money, I
want a book I keep, TYVM. I found Amazon marketplace, ISBN.nu,
Alibris, and dozens of others which start pricing at a penny. I've
never sought another interlibrary loan. If I wanted a $500 research
paper, I'd spring for the $5 and scan the necessary parts.

This library is in a county that I don't live in so I have no issues paying. Thanks for
the tips on used book sources. I always like a deal.

Someone scored the 6.99 if I didn't miss it in the listing.

Next up is one for $7 even, cheapskate. I found it a really
fascinating book, having read it back in my entirely Neanderthal
years.

Okay, you shamed me into buying a copy.

Wes
--

The only thing Obama has repaired, is Carter's reputation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:17:51 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I'm super che^H^H^Hfrugal, too.

Someone scored the 6.99 if I didn't miss it in the listing.

Next up is one for $7 even, cheapskate. I found it a really
fascinating book, having read it back in my entirely Neanderthal
years.

Okay, you shamed me into buying a copy.

Man, you're EASY! bseg

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I recently bought 83 books for 11 cents each. I missed a deal on
2500 books for $300 recently. They would have been 12 cents each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Okay, you shamed me into buying a copy.

Man, you're EASY! bseg

I recently bought 83 books for 11 cents each. I missed a deal on
2500 books for $300 recently. They would have been 12 cents each.

So once you went though the books you bought and separated them into keepers and *******,
what did your score turn out per copy?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Okay, you shamed me into buying a copy.

Man, you're EASY! bseg

I recently bought 83 books for 11 cents each. I missed a deal on
2500 books for $300 recently. They would have been 12 cents each.

So once you went though the books you bought and separated them into keepers and *******,
what did your score turn out per copy?

All 83 are books I wanted. I sorted through over 3000 books when I
picked them out for 11 cents each. Most are classic Sci-Fi and will
replace some of what was stolen, years ago.

There are literally tons of used books for sale around here. So many
that I don't have room to take them. I filled the last of the shelves
in my library, and have to build more. Even worse, I will have to
reinforce the floors if I put in more shelving. At least I found a belt
drive 10" Craftsman table saw a few days ago. (113.298150) It's an old
model that doesn't have much that can go wrong, when compared to modern
saws. I am going to clean it up and replace the bearings, then paint
it. It looks like the old table saw has a bad Klixon thermal motor
starter that is no longer available. it has been replaced several
times, and the motor rebuilt twice. This saw uses an external 120/240
volt motor that can be replaced with lots of common, easy to find
motors.

I think that the table extensions from my old Craftsman table saw
will fit, so I am planning to hinge them to one side of the saw to let
me lay a full 4' wide sheet of plywood on it without needing a helper.
The fun will be getting an accurate alignment for the fence between the
sections.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 5:36*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

[...]

The guys that do that stuff for a living don't use fences that ride on
the table itself, they've got full-length guides that run the whole
width of the table + extensions that the fence rides on. Could
probably rig up something like that yourself, save kilobucks. Just see
any of the woodworking supplier's sites for ideas. That's one reason I
got the DeWalt contractor's saw, I could saw to the center of a 4'
sheet using the fence and table extensions and it would still knock
down so I could wheel it out of the way.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The guys that do that stuff for a living don't use fences that ride on
the table itself, they've got full-length guides that run the whole
width of the table + extensions that the fence rides on. Could
probably rig up something like that yourself, save kilobucks. Just see
any of the woodworking supplier's sites for ideas. That's one reason I
got the DeWalt contractor's saw, I could saw to the center of a 4'
sheet using the fence and table extensions and it would still knock
down so I could wheel it out of the way.

I dug out the old saw this morning and found that the table
extensions are too short to use so i'll have to make something else.
this fence doesn't clamp to the table, it has a pair of rails made from
angle iron. I have about 15 to 20 wood & metal saws around here, but
the one I need the most was the large table saw. I've cut 1/8" & 3/16"
aluminum into 19" relay rack panels on the old one, but after almost 20
years, its worn out. it was my dad's, who is a retied cabinet maker. He
replaced it with a Hitachi a few years ago, when it started to flake
out. You can still use it by spinning the blade and turning it on, but
that is awkward and dangerous.

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/owner_manuals/search?page=1&query=saw+table
has a lot of manual for Craftsman table saws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

The wheels could be fun. The idea of shrinking a steel tire over a wheel sounds more
appealing than just putting a brass decorative strip on.

Drop by your library and pick up a copy of _The Wheelwright's Shop_ by
George Sturt. Wunnerful read. Elm's the ticket for hubs, or was.

I'm half way though the book. It has been an excellent read so far.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 24, 6:36*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
....At least I found a belt
drive 10" Craftsman table saw a few days ago. (113.298150) *It's an old
model that doesn't have much that can go wrong, when compared to modern
saws. .....

I have an 8" one I use with abrasive disks to saw sheetmetal. Like you
said there isn't much in there, and on mine the motor is well out of
the way of the sparks.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:48:40 -0500, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

The wheels could be fun. The idea of shrinking a steel tire over a wheel sounds more
appealing than just putting a brass decorative strip on.

Drop by your library and pick up a copy of _The Wheelwright's Shop_ by
George Sturt. Wunnerful read. Elm's the ticket for hubs, or was.

I'm half way though the book. It has been an excellent read so far.

Thank you for the suggestion,

Jewelcome. Those were far different times, weren't they?

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
....At least I found a belt
drive 10" Craftsman table saw a few days ago. (113.298150) It's an old
model that doesn't have much that can go wrong, when compared to modern
saws. .....

I have an 8" one I use with abrasive disks to saw sheetmetal. Like you
said there isn't much in there, and on mine the motor is well out of
the way of the sparks.

I cut small sheet metal with the chop saw, but I have made 19" relay
rack panels out of 3/16" aluminum on a table saw when I couldn't find
the size I needed. I even cut the notches on the table saw, then used a
rat tail file to finish the ends of the notches. You definitely need to
clamp the metal properly to cut those notches so the panel doesn't get
loose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
....At least I found a belt
drive 10" Craftsman table saw a few days ago. (113.298150) It's an
old model that doesn't have much that can go wrong, when compared to
modern saws. .....

I have an 8" one I use with abrasive disks to saw sheetmetal. Like you
said there isn't much in there, and on mine the motor is well out of the
way of the sparks.

I cut small sheet metal with the chop saw, but I have made 19" relay
rack panels out of 3/16" aluminum on a table saw when I couldn't find the
size I needed. I even cut the notches on the table saw, then used a rat
tail file to finish the ends of the notches. You definitely need to clamp
the metal properly to cut those notches so the panel doesn't get loose.

I've seen a guy cut 1" aluminum plate with a Skil-saw (ordinary
carpentry-type circular saw.) It was terribly noisy, but got the job done.

Cheers!
Rich