Jaime

Default Metal-related question

I know some of you guys do not think too much of me due to my *past*
behaviour here but I have a metal-related question I was hoping to get some
advice on.

It has to do with painting metal....not actually building anything, although
I *do* know how to weld.

I've got a couple of sturdy chairs with metal frames. I'm guessing they are
steel frames and they are painted an ungodly combination of colours. I want
to repaint them and bring them to *one* decent colour so I can use them in
my home. What I am wondering is this.....

Do I prime them with a primer first before I paint them *or* can I simply
paint them outright with a paint made for metal?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Jaime

Randy Replogle

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:40:11 -0400, "Jaime"
wrote:

I know some of you guys do not think too much of me due to my *past*
behaviour here...
Jaime

what did you do?
Randy

You should be able to just paint them with most any kind of paint. If
I understand you correctly, you are painting the old paint, not the
metal. So you don't need metal paint or primer. If there are large
spots of bare metal, then clean and prime.

Dan

Jaime

wrote in message
oups.com...
You should be able to just paint them with most any kind of paint. If
I understand you correctly, you are painting the old paint, not the
metal. So you don't need metal paint or primer. If there are large
spots of bare metal, then clean and prime.

There are no spots of bare metal. I am painting over old paint but since
I've never painted metal before I was unsure
of the correct way to go about it.
I've got experience with wood but metal is unknown to me.
Thanks for the quick answer Dan. Now I can head to Canadian Tire and get
started this afternoon.
Jaime

Eric R Snow

wrote:

I know some of you guys do not think too much of me due to my *past*
behaviour here but I have a metal-related question I was hoping to get some
advice on.

It has to do with painting metal....not actually building anything, although
I *do* know how to weld.

I've got a couple of sturdy chairs with metal frames. I'm guessing they are
steel frames and they are painted an ungodly combination of colours. I want
to repaint them and bring them to *one* decent colour so I can use them in
my home. What I am wondering is this.....

Do I prime them with a primer first before I paint them *or* can I simply
paint them outright with a paint made for metal?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Jaime

Greetings Jaime,
Please remember this is rec.crafts.METALWORKING. So no questions or
comments about metal or metalworking are allowed. Only off topic
questions and comments. Especially political comments. Please direct
your metalworking questions to the apprpriate group. But just to be
courteous I will answer your question this one time. If the existing
paint is sticking well already then just sand and paint. If paint is
missing in some spots you may want to feather the paint around the
missing paint and prime the area. If you use sandable primer then you
can sand it after priming to get a smooth surface.
Cheers,
ERS

daniel peterman

I have been painting small items lately and this is what I do.
Brush off the dirt.
Wirebrush off loose stuff.
Wipe object with mineral spirits.
Blow dry with compressed air.
I like to brush paint and I have lots of those both in latex and alkyd
or polyurethane. Lay on as many coats with good brush until lhe thing
looks good from arm's length.
Admire your work.When it doesn't smell anymore bring it into the house.

larry g

" If the existing
paint is sticking well already then just sand and paint.

Let me add here that you need to wash/clean before sanding. Make sure to
remove any wax, grease, or dirt before starting to sand.
lg

Jaime

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
Greetings Jaime,
Please remember this is rec.crafts.METALWORKING. So no questions or
comments about metal or metalworking are allowed.

Alrighty. :-)

Only off topic
questions and comments. Especially political comments.

I'd better brush up on my politics then and find out who that Paul fellow
is.

Please direct
your metalworking questions to the apprpriate group.

URL? ;-)

But just to be
courteous I will answer your question this one time. If the existing
paint is sticking well already then just sand and paint. If paint is
missing in some spots you may want to feather the paint around the
missing paint and prime the area. If you use sandable primer then you
can sand it after priming to get a smooth surface.

Any suggestions on the sandpaper I should use?

Jaime

"larry g" wrote in message

" If the existing
paint is sticking well already then just sand and paint.

Let me add here that you need to wash/clean before sanding. Make sure to
remove any wax, grease, or dirt before starting to sand.

Okay, thank you Larry. I will do that.

Jaime

"daniel peterman" wrote in message
I have been painting small items lately and this is what I do.
Brush off the dirt.
Wirebrush off loose stuff.
Wipe object with mineral spirits.

Is mineral spirits the same as mineral oil or is that a different substance
altogether?

When it doesn't smell anymore bring it into the house.

Too bad that doesn't apply to my kids as well. :-)

Jaime

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message
news
It's paint thinner. I like to lightly sand and use Rustoleum.

Thanks Karl.

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:41:30 -0400, "Jaime"
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well, if you want a really smooth finish use wet or dry sandpaper with
water. Start at 400 and progress to as high a number as you want. 600,
1200, etc. You can get it really smooth.
ERS

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
Metal Shear question: Niagara Greg Metalworking 5 April 20th 05 08:45 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
Metal spinning DVD due for release Terry Metalworking 0 March 1st 05 01:05 PM
Sheet Metal project price question. lane Metalworking 7 January 4th 04 08:56 PM