ptgoodman

Default Metal Roofing

Hi All,

Short question. Long answer?

Many people are using metal roofing in my area. But, they often use barn
or garage metal roofing which is attached using exposed metal screws,
directly thru the roofing to the underlying plywood or trusses. Home
metal roofing is attached in a different manner, very expensive to
install.

Anyway, I'm told that with the garage metal roofing, the roofing expands
and contracts as it heats and cools. The screws loosen in the wood
and/or elongate the holes thru the metal roofing as the roof works back
and forth. Leaks develop, etc. Home metal roofing is installed in a
different way.

I've heard of no complaints about their metal roofing. Can anybody tell
me if the above problem is actually a problem? One may be able to
tolerate minor leaks in a garage or barn but not a house. The source of
the above information is a very good carpenter/builder, knows his stuff,
and keeps current with building codes.

Email me directly if you want.

TIA,
koyaanisqatsi
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Built a metal roof over porch because of low slope and our heavy snowloads.
If roofing screws loosen or pop, I can say I;ve seen any. As for leaks, no.
Not if you install with recommended accessories and seam it proper.
Suspect most leaks and fails are due to improper instal and cutting corners
on the accessories.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"ptgoodman" wrote in message
news
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"ptgoodman" wrote in message

Anyway, I'm told that with the garage metal roofing, the roofing expands
and contracts as it heats and cools. The screws loosen in the wood
and/or elongate the holes thru the metal roofing as the roof works back
and forth. Leaks develop, etc. Home metal roofing is installed in a
different way.

I've heard of no complaints about their metal roofing. Can anybody tell
me if the above problem is actually a problem? One may be able to
tolerate minor leaks in a garage or barn but not a house. The source of
the above information is a very good carpenter/builder, knows his stuff,
and keeps current with building codes.

Comparing flying a kite with jet air travel. Residential roofing is done
much different than barns. My only objection to metal is the cost. I was
quoted about 3X a good shingle room. That is probably changing also.

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

U get what u pay for. When is the last time u used asphalt shingles?????
The price of oil has pushed prices up while making manufacturers sleaze out
on the amount of bitumin used. The current shingles sold will fail
prematurely so don't expect 15 to 20 years. Metal roofing is good for
50+++++ years.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"ptgoodman" wrote in message

Anyway, I'm told that with the garage metal roofing, the roofing expands
and contracts as it heats and cools. The screws loosen in the wood
and/or elongate the holes thru the metal roofing as the roof works back
and forth. Leaks develop, etc. Home metal roofing is installed in a
different way.

I've heard of no complaints about their metal roofing. Can anybody tell
me if the above problem is actually a problem? One may be able to
tolerate minor leaks in a garage or barn but not a house. The source of
the above information is a very good carpenter/builder, knows his stuff,
and keeps current with building codes.

Comparing flying a kite with jet air travel. Residential roofing is done
much different than barns. My only objection to metal is the cost. I was
quoted about 3X a good shingle room. That is probably changing also.

Edwin Pawlowski

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in
message .. .
U get what u pay for. When is the last time u used asphalt shingles?????
The price of oil has pushed prices up while making manufacturers sleaze
out
on the amount of bitumin used. The current shingles sold will fail
prematurely so don't expect 15 to 20 years. Metal roofing is good for
50+++++ years.

True, but I'm only good for about another 20.

It was maybe 4 years since the shingles went on. I'm sure the price of both
went up. At the time, I could buy a 40 year shingle for $4500 and the metal
was about $16,000. I could not justify the difference.

i built a barn about 20 years ago and used metal roofing with those
nails that had rubber washers. it hasnt leaked any that i coud see. we
got a old house back on the farm we rent ,it has an aluminum roof put on
in the 20s or 30s and its still good... lucas

John

I live is snow country, and there are lots of metal roofs around here. I'd
say metal outnumbers shingles.

Most houses I see have the colored metal with the exposed screws, which is
what I had on my last house. I talked to lots of contractors, many of them
friends of mine and they all raved over the metal. The metal is screwed to
the roofdeck, but if there are shingles underneath, strapping needs to be
used since the metal will expand and contract and can wear from the
shingles.

I never see "standing seam" roofs on residential homes around here, only on
commercial buildings, so I don't know much on that. I've not heard anything
about holes elongating. In fact, I've removed metal roofing and don't
remember anything odd about the old holes. I don't think it's an issue. I
know folks with 20 or 30 year old metal, and the surface needs new paint,
but no one ever complains about leaks. The new products now have "baked on"
finishes that have impressive warranties for the paint.

The only thing I did not like about my metal roof, is that it makes it
difficult to walk around up on the roof for chimney cleaning, painting etc.

jeff

"ptgoodman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you want what is called Standing Seam metal roof. All of the
fasteners are covered. I have one and am very happy with it.

Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Rob Morley Home Repair 56 May 16th 05 11:03 AM
Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Bob Eager Home Repair 0 April 27th 05 09:22 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM