Bob Eager

Default Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:16:20 UTC, Lars wrote:

I have an old Anglepoise lamp with painted metal arms and painted
metal lampshade (Anglepoise model 90). It has a two-core mains
lead. I am in the UK so this is all at 230-240 volts.

Today I touched the outside of the lampshade and got a sort of vey
mild tingle feeling which felt "odd". When I used a mains tester
screwdriver on the exposed metal (at the joint of the lampshade
and support arm) then it glowed as if the metal of the Anglepoise
lamp was live.

I unplugged the lamp and tested the resistence between the live
pin on the mains plug and some exposed metal on the lamp. I got
no resistence reading at all (i.e. it must have been a very high
resistence). I then tested the neutral pin in the same way and
got the same high resistence result.

QUESTION: Is my lamp safe to use and could I get a shock from it
in its present condition?

No. Yes.

QUESTION: If my lamp is unsafe then is there a repair I can do?

I would guess that the insulation is failing somewhere. Your test with
the meter wasn't high voltage and didn't show it up. You need proper
equipment to do that test.

I would guess that replacing all the wiring would probably do it. It
*might* be the lamp holder, but I'd change the wiring first. If you do
replace the lampholder, it's probably a special heat resistant one
(probably ceramic).
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Tingle from metal lamp = dangerous? Bob Eager UK diy 57 May 16th 05 11:03 AM
Magnifying lamp with all metal base [email protected] Metalworking 7 April 9th 05 04:23 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM