Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default A good day, metal related.

James Waldby wrote:

We may have some elm, I remember uncle taking down some elm that
he was worried would die anyway, I'll have to ask what he cut it
into. I know I don't have any here.

I believe he used the crotches for the hubs. They had the strongest
crosslinked cells of all the hardwoods they'd tried.

For about 30 years, several states have prohibited doing much
with elm except burning, shredding, or burying it. All states
except Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, New Mexico
and Utah have quarantines against bringing elm wood into them,
per http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/NURSERY/reg_ded.shtml
and http://www.elmcare.com/caring/disposal_of_dead_elms.htm
which says "Wood should be burned immediately. It should not be
stored. Some communities have strict by-laws prohibiting the
storage and transportation of elm firewood. If there is
insufficient space for burning, the wood can be buried."
Some of the rules only apply to elm that died of Dutch Elm
Disease, but many are so broad they apply to any elm.

Things may be changing. Last May, Manitoba repealed its
11-year-old Dutch Elm Disease Act with all its elaborate
provisions like allowing peace officers and others to stop
vehicles and search them for that highly dangerous substance,
elm wood. ("The driver shall immediately bring the vehicle or
machinery to a stop and remained stopped as long as the officer
considers necessary in order that the officer may inspect the
vehicle or machinery for elm wood.")
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/repealed/d107e.php

I better do some checking. I know Ash is subject to a ban on moving it due to the Emerald
Ash Borer.

Wes