Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Bloomberg uses final solution

Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless families
out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-for-homeless/

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:08:15 -0700, the infamous "azotic"
scrawled the following:

Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless families
out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-for-homeless/

Probably to the tune of "Bloomberg Cures Homelessness in NYC", huh?

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless
families out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

I've seen some of this first hand just up thruway in Albany when the former
NYC residents get off the bus and decide its time for a meal. So they call
911 and get a ride to the hospital, a meal, a caseworker and a shelter
referral. I've seen people from all over Fl Ga Tn Nj Sc Nc Tx not to mention
Ny city, some of them even have a note pad with instructions #1 call Ems for
whatever reason ( I'm sick,I have a rash, I ran out of my meds , ::Personal
fav was "my leg fell asleep on the bus ride and now its all tingles": #2
when you get to the hospital tell them your homeless and ask for a social
worker. In 17 yrs I've only seen 1 Homeless family take this approach, the
rest are usually men 30-50 a few are women, most appear to be physically fit
enough to work @ something but take this approach for one reason or
another.A good number have some form of mental illness and some just want a
change of scenery and heard about NYS's generous social service benefits.
The stories vary but the sure thing is that they keep coming.

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote:

Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless families
out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-for-homeless/

So how is Bloomberg going to take it when the target cities send their homeless to NYC?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"azotic" wrote:

Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless
families
out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-for-homeless/

So how is Bloomberg going to take it when the target cities send their
homeless to NYC?

Wes

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works, Wes.
Did you read it?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"azotic" wrote:

Seems an old idea is reborn.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg defended a city program to send homeless
families
out of New York on planes, trains and buses on Wednesday.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-for-homeless/

So how is Bloomberg going to take it when the target cities send their
homeless to NYC?

Wes

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works, Wes.
Did you read it?

--
Ed Huntress

I just reread it, and I don't see anything in the article about
support for the transported at their destinations.

“I don’t know, when they get to the other places, whether they find
jobs,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “It may be an easier place for them. If we
don’t — we either have two choices. We can do this program or pay an
enormous amount of money daily to provide housing.”

Hizzoner da mayor doesn't seem concerned as long as they leave.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"azotic" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, there is a lot more to how it will be implemented. He gave separate
interviews on it today.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 9:19*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nds-one-way-ti....

[...]

Actually, there was another article linked from this one that explains
it:
http://tinyurl.com/m9wuvp
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny...eway.html?_r=1

Still, it reminds me, rather unpleasantly, of the time I was walking
down the street in NY with my (then) business partner. We passed an
obviously homeless man, and John said, "These homeless people - They
ought to just get rid of them." That incident was just another nail in
the coffin of our partnership.

Another thing this reminds me of (though it's not really the same -
just smells that way at first) is that my wife used to work in the
psychiatric ER at Jersey City Medical Center. They would often get
walk-ins (more like wander-ins) who had been discharged from a NY
hospital and put on the PATH train to Jersey City, NJ.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:19:06 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"azotic" wrote:

[...]

FWIW, let NYC go into meltdown. Send bread so they can eat the
homeless (and the pigeons.

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your
attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you.
-- Joseph Rickaby
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:40:13 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

Yeah, there is a lot more to how it will be implemented. He gave separate
interviews on it today.

The homeless have an idea as to how to fight back, but they haven't
settled on the proper way to mount it yet. See attached pic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GA..._VW_Type_1.jpg

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your
attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you.
-- Joseph Rickaby

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works, Wes.
Did you read it?

I've read it. What makes you think the target cities are going to operate the same way?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works, Wes.
Did you read it?

I've read it. What makes you think the target cities are going to operate
the same way?

Wes

I don't. I was reacting to your question, "So how is Bloomberg going to take
it when the target cities send their homeless to NYC?"

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them
in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works, Wes.
Did you read it?

I've read it. What makes you think the target cities are going to
operate the same way?

Wes

I don't. I was reacting to your question, "So how is Bloomberg going to
take it when the target cities send their homeless to NYC?"

--
Ed Huntress

Seems the folks in florida are already ****ed at bloomberg.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...bloomberg.html

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of thier
prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC. How about Newark offering
$1000 and a free gun
to anyone willing to hop on a bus to NYC. Bloomberg may have started a
****ing match he cant win.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote:

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of thier
prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC.

That is one of the ways I see as a response. Early release, terms of parole to stay out
of the state and ticket to NYC. Payback is a b*tch.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

If they have families or friends who will take them in and support them
in
New York, there's no problem. That's how NYC's plan works, in the other
direction.

Your question suggests that maybe you don't understand how it works,
Wes.
Did you read it?

I've read it. What makes you think the target cities are going to
operate the same way?

Wes

I don't. I was reacting to your question, "So how is Bloomberg going to
take it when the target cities send their homeless to NYC?"

--
Ed Huntress

Seems the folks in florida are already ****ed at bloomberg.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...bloomberg.html

The can stick it where the sun don't shine. The deep south is where those
people came from in the first place. As the article says, "Greyhound
Justice," or a free bus ticket to NYC, is exactly the way they handled it to
begin with.

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of
thier prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC. How about Newark offering
$1000 and a free gun
to anyone willing to hop on a bus to NYC. Bloomberg may have started a
****ing match he cant win.

All the program does is send them back to their families, in the US or
elsewhere, who have to agree to provide them with a home.

I doubt if the numbers will be big under this program.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:05:51 -0700, the infamous "azotic"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Bwahahahahaha!

P.S: You owe me a new keyboard and monitor, Tom.

Bloomberg may have started a ****ing match he cant win.

I seriously hope someone sends that post to Hizzonnor Bloomberg. He'd
love it! bseg Then again, he could personally afford to fight
back, even if he couldn't get NYC coffers to back him. shrug

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your
attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you.
-- Joseph Rickaby
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
news
"azotic" wrote:

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of
thier
prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC.

That is one of the ways I see as a response. Early release, terms of
parole to stay out
of the state and ticket to NYC. Payback is a b*tch.

This IS the payback.

It sounds to me like Bloomburg has decided that NY is going to stop being
the doormat.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:45:51 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

So we're facing another War of Northern Aggression, are we?

--
A great preservative against angry and mutinous thoughts, and all
impatience and quarreling, is to have some great business and
interest in your mind, which, like a sponge shall suck up your
attention and keep you from brooding over what displeases you.
-- Joseph Rickaby
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
news
"azotic" wrote:

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of
thier
prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC.

That is one of the ways I see as a response. Early release, terms of
parole to stay out
of the state and ticket to NYC. Payback is a b*tch.

This IS the payback.

It sounds to me like Bloomburg has decided that NY is going to stop being
the doormat.

If I were penniless and homeless, NYC is probably the last place in the
country I'd choose to be.

Florida, on the other hand....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
news
"azotic" wrote:

Now if florida wants to save some money they could simply give 99% of
thier
prison inmates an early
release along with a one way bus ticket to NYC.
That is one of the ways I see as a response. Early release, terms of
parole to stay out
of the state and ticket to NYC. Payback is a b*tch.

This IS the payback.

It sounds to me like Bloomburg has decided that NY is going to stop being
the doormat.

If I were penniless and homeless, NYC is probably the last place in the
country I'd choose to be.

That's probably because you haven't been penniless and homeless. It's a
magnet, as it always has been, because it has some of the best social
services in the country.

That's the dilemma. NYC has always been a magnet that sucks in the people
who have been cast off by other parts of the country. So now it's costing
them, at a time when no city can afford it.

Florida, on the other hand....

....will let you die in the streets. It sucks in a big way, if you're
homeless.

Now, if you're good at catching fish and stealing oranges, and you don't
mind sleeping with the mosquitoes, it could be a heck of a good camping
trip. d8-)

But if you're good at those things, you're probably not homeless and
destitute. Homeless maybe, but not destitute.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
news "azotic" wrote:

[...]

My thoughts exactly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's the dilemma. NYC has always been a magnet that sucks in the people
who have been cast off by other parts of the country. So now it's costing
them, at a time when no city can afford it.

Back in the late seventies just prior to discharge, a group of us short timers were
assembled to listen to a lady from the South Carolina unemployment office who showed us a
chart of what the various states paid in unemployment.

The northern states paid a lot more than South Carolina.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's the dilemma. NYC has always been a magnet that sucks in the people
who have been cast off by other parts of the country. So now it's costing
them, at a time when no city can afford it.

Back in the late seventies just prior to discharge, a group of us short
timers were
assembled to listen to a lady from the South Carolina unemployment office
who showed us a
chart of what the various states paid in unemployment.

The northern states paid a lot more than South Carolina.

Wes

?? I'm not sure what that means. Was she talking about totals, or
per-capita? Did she take out the dirt farmers? Did she take out the people
who had given up and were living on 'possum bellies and poke salad? Did she
explain how long the period of unemployment compensation lasted in S.C.,
versus those "northern states"?

Did you get any sense that she was an objective reporter, just giving you
the facts, or that her salary was paid by the state of South Carolina, and
that she was trying to encourage you to move there, now that you had
developed vital skills and a tolerance for hardship required to live in a
low-income state ($5240 disposable income per capita in S.C., in 1978,
versus $8761 in CT, for example)? Do you think she felt that her audience
was sophisticated enough, skeptical enough, and skilled enough to research
and analyze what she was saying?

Or was it a Dixie snow job?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

She was pointing out that an unemployed ex-Marine would be a lot better
off
not cluttering up the rolls of the unemployed in SC.

--
John R. Carroll

Yeah, you could read that either way, but the circumstances suggest she
thought she was making S.C. sound more attractive.

However, even though the late '70s were years of big-time growth in the sun
belt, the unemployment rate in S.C. that year was higher than that of CT. I
didn't check the other northern states but there definitely was nothing
exceptional about S.C.'s rate (around 5.5%, versus roughly 5.2% for CT). So
a lower unemployment compensation rate just suggests they pay less, or they
pay for a shorter time.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

She was pointing out that an unemployed ex-Marine would be a lot better off
not cluttering up the rolls of the unemployed in SC.

That was my take on it John. It also might have been a way to encourage 'damn yankees' to
go home.

What I don't understand though is unemployment benefits for discharged military is paid
for by the US government. Something I learned to my chagrin back in Michigan when some
budget battle in Congress left whatever fund that would pay me unfunded. 12 weeks of
showing up 30 miles away at the closest unemployment office to not get paid every two
weeks.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Wes wrote:

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

She was pointing out that an unemployed ex-Marine would be a lot better off
not cluttering up the rolls of the unemployed in SC.

That was my take on it John. It also might have been a way to encourage
'damn yankees' to
go home.

The difference between a yankee and a damnyankee? The yankee goes home.

Nearly final VFD question... Todd Rich Metalworking 27 December 19th 07 12:45 PM
Final cut Woodborg Woodturning 4 October 7th 06 03:49 AM
Final Sanding Connor Aston Woodworking 19 January 6th 06 07:12 PM
glue the final solution [email protected] UK diy 18 August 31st 05 01:17 PM
TS Final Desicion Woodchuck34 Woodworking 7 March 27th 05 03:59 PM