Default glue the final solution

As every woodworker knows, traditional hot bone glue is absolutely the
best in so many ways - except for having to keep it bubbling away
continuously or spending time bringing it back up to temp.
I've just hit on the solution - microwave - and it works!!
You keep the prepared glue in a jam jar (they're all heatproof
nowadays) with a lid on. When you need it just pop it in the microwave
without the lid for a few seconds - need to watch it carefully; give it
10 second blasts.
Then put the jar in a bigger jar or pyrex bowl etc with hot water in to
keep temperature up as per trad double boiler.
If it cools too much just pop the whole lot (jar in bigger jar/bowl)
back in the microwave again (without the lid if metal but a loose
fitting pyrex kilner jar type lid would be OK).
When finished put the lid back on to keep out dust and stop it drying
out.
Don't suppose I'm the 1st to think of it it's so obvious I'm wondering
why I didn't think of it sooner.

cheers

Jacob

dave stanton

Sorry, I misread it.

Needed saying again though, in case anyone else misread.

Dave

Oh all right then - but is anyone daft enough to put a jar with
screwed on lid in a microwave? If so then they shouldn't own one, and
they certainly shouldn't be messing about with hot glue - they'll get
stuck to the bench and die of starvation and scalds if they haven't
already blown themselves up!

cheers

jacob

raden

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
wrote:
As every woodworker knows, traditional hot bone glue is absolutely the
best in so many ways - except for having to keep it bubbling away
continuously or spending time bringing it back up to temp.
I've just hit on the solution - microwave - and it works!!
You keep the prepared glue in a jam jar (they're all heatproof
nowadays) with a lid on. When you need it just pop it in the microwave
without the lid for a few seconds - need to watch it carefully; give it
10 second blasts.

NEVER, EVER MICROWAVE A JAR WITH THE LID ON!
Unless you are utterly sure that the lid is loose.
If you must do this, it's safer to take the lid off, and turn it upside
down, to avoid any chance of the seal being adequate to cause an explosion.
The door will probably stop the flying glass, and it's probable that the
jar would explode with the oven active, rather than seconds afterwards, but
you only get one set of eyes.

So what did he say then ?

--
geoff
dave stanton

Unfortunately, yes.
Apparently this is a common accident in bio/chemistry labs that have
microwaves for heating of flasks.
Someone leaves a stopper in, and it goes bang.

As happened in a lab I worked in when I first left school, someone brought
a tin of soup in for dinner and without thinking stuck it in the samples
oven without puching holes in the top. Can exploded, blew oven door off
and splattered very hot soup all over the lab.

Dave

Ian Stirling

dave stanton wrote:

Unfortunately, yes.
Apparently this is a common accident in bio/chemistry labs that have
microwaves for heating of flasks.
Someone leaves a stopper in, and it goes bang.

As happened in a lab I worked in when I first left school, someone brought
a tin of soup in for dinner and without thinking stuck it in the samples
oven without puching holes in the top. Can exploded, blew oven door off
and splattered very hot soup all over the lab.

Odd.
I wouldn't have expected a tin to get that warm - being metal.
I suppose steel is resistive enough if there is no other load in the
oven.

As happened in a lab I worked in when I first left school, someone brought
a tin of soup in for dinner and without thinking stuck it in the samples
oven without puching holes in the top. Can exploded, blew oven door off
and splattered very hot soup all over the lab.

Odd.
I wouldn't have expected a tin to get that warm - being metal.
I suppose steel is resistive enough if there is no other load in the
oven.

praps wasn't a microwave. It isnt just a particular microwave problem
afterall

raden

In message , dave stanton
writes

Unfortunately, yes.
Apparently this is a common accident in bio/chemistry labs that have
microwaves for heating of flasks.
Someone leaves a stopper in, and it goes bang.

As happened in a lab I worked in when I first left school, someone brought
a tin of soup in for dinner and without thinking stuck it in the samples
oven without puching holes in the top. Can exploded, blew oven door off
and splattered very hot soup all over the lab.

My father blew the Aga up by putting a stone hot water bottle in the
oven

--
geoff
DJC

raden wrote:
My father blew the Aga up by putting a stone hot water bottle in the oven

My mother set fire to the Christmas pudding in a microwave. They were a
new fangled thing then and my mother reckoned that if you had to boil
one for hours then setting the timer to max (30 minutes ?) would be ok.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Dave

DJC wrote:

raden wrote:

My father blew the Aga up by putting a stone hot water bottle in the oven

My mother set fire to the Christmas pudding in a microwave. They were a
new fangled thing then and my mother reckoned that if you had to boil
one for hours then setting the timer to max (30 minutes ?) would be ok.

LOL

I hope your father bought you a hammer and chisel that same Christmas ;-)

Dave