Luke

Default Stabiliser solution from diluted wood glue?

Has anyone tried using diluted white wood glue as a stabiliser
solution for powdery old mortar? When I am drilling to install wall
plugs in an old brick wall built with lime mortar, and hit a joint, if
I don;t have the option of drilling in a diferent place, I usually
scrape away a lot of the loose mortar in the joint I've hit, blow all
the dust out thenand squirt in some stabilizer solution. Then when
it's dry, I pack the hole with polyfilla or cement mortar and later
drill a proper small hole to take the plug. In the absexence of
proprietory stabiliser solution, I often wonder if diluted white wood
glue would work OK. Has anyone tried that?

Luke
Dave Gibson

"Luke " wrote in message

Has anyone tried using diluted white wood glue as a stabiliser
solution for powdery old mortar? When I am drilling to install wall
plugs in an old brick wall built with lime mortar, and hit a joint, if
I don;t have the option of drilling in a diferent place, I usually
scrape away a lot of the loose mortar in the joint I've hit, blow all
the dust out thenand squirt in some stabilizer solution. Then when
it's dry, I pack the hole with polyfilla or cement mortar and later
drill a proper small hole to take the plug. In the absexence of
proprietory stabiliser solution, I often wonder if diluted white wood
glue would work OK. Has anyone tried that?

Luke

What - as in PVA - nah - it would never work. Try rapid araldite.

Don't feed the trolls.

Dave

Luke

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:09:24 -0000, "Dave Gibson" wrote:

Don't feed the trolls.

I won't feed you then. Hoping for input from non-trolls. I'm stuck
here miles from anywhere with some bookshelves to put up.

Luke
andrewpreece

"Luke " wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:09:24 -0000, "Dave Gibson" wrote:

Don't feed the trolls.

I won't feed you then. Hoping for input from non-trolls. I'm stuck
here miles from anywhere with some bookshelves to put up.

Luke

I think Mr Gibson is somewhat surprised that, since dilute PVA ( wood glue )
is the
de facto diy choice for stabilising powdery surfaces etc, that you are
somewhat 'behind
the curve' so to speak! Good for you though, you've come to the right
conclusion
independently.

Andy.

Luke

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:27:04 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "Luke"
says...

Has anyone tried using diluted white wood glue as a stabiliser
solution for powdery old mortar? When I am drilling to install wall
plugs in an old brick wall built with lime mortar, and hit a joint, if
I don;t have the option of drilling in a diferent place, I usually
scrape away a lot of the loose mortar in the joint I've hit, blow all
the dust out thenand squirt in some stabilizer solution. Then when
it's dry, I pack the hole with polyfilla or cement mortar and later
drill a proper small hole to take the plug. In the absexence of
proprietory stabiliser solution, I often wonder if diluted white wood
glue would work OK. Has anyone tried that?

Haven't tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I sometimes
stick the plug in at the same time as the filler, so there's less
chance of dislodging anything by drilling later.

I think I tried that once and then found that the plug couldn't expant
enough to take the screw... Anyone else done that?

Luke
Luke

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:33:25 -0000, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

"Luke " wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:09:24 -0000, "Dave Gibson" wrote:

Don't feed the trolls.

I won't feed you then. Hoping for input from non-trolls. I'm stuck
here miles from anywhere with some bookshelves to put up.

Luke

I think Mr Gibson is somewhat surprised that, since dilute PVA ( wood glue )
is the
de facto diy choice for stabilising powdery surfaces etc, that you are
somewhat 'behind
the curve' so to speak!

I think I'd heard of PVA solution being used for similar things, but
wasn't sure if white wood glue was the same thing as PVA.

Good for you though, you've come to the right
conclusion
independently.

Thanks for clarifying.

Luke

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Luke wrote:
Has anyone tried using diluted white wood glue as a stabiliser
solution for powdery old mortar?

If you mean PVA wood glue, then yes, it's ideal. But you might find buying
a 5 litre container of PVA a cheaper solution. ;-)

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.