Old June 4th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thin kerf hole saw?

I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

Al

Old June 4th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:59:37 -0500, Allan wrote:

I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

What's wrong with a Forstner bit?

They come in sizes to fit most birds, and as long as you back the bit that
will be the birdhouse with some scrap they make weally nice holes.
Old June 4th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 01:05:37 GMT, _
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:59:37 -0500, Allan wrote:

I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

What's wrong with a Forstner bit?

They come in sizes to fit most birds, and as long as you back the bit that
will be the birdhouse with some scrap they make weally nice holes.

A clean-out (the old nest for next time) DOOR, not the entry hole
(which, yeah, forstner is great--got a dozen of em). Use the hole
saw cut-out to plug the hole. My birdhouses are over-the-top
decorative. Art pieces really, so there are advantages to this
for me.
Old June 4th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't seen one in better than 30 years but there used to be
a hole saw that you could bend and insert a piece of a hacksaw
blade into it and lock it in with a setscrew. I didn't find one
by googling but look at the pic here
http://www.madeinchina.com/2596137/S...ole-Saws.shtml
It looked similar to the rightmost one.
Maybe someone else will remember it's name.
Art

Old June 4th 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:28:37 -0500, the infamous Allan
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 01:05:37 GMT, _
wrote:

[...]

I helped a neighbor build a dozen of his and we used a hinged bottom
plate with a removable screw in the front. The whole bottom dumps for
ease in removing all the old nesting material.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Old June 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Allan" wrote in message
I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

I have/had sets like this, lite duty. Just measured some loose pieces, the
thinnest is .050, from Lennox, 1.5".
Also Starrett, and I think Blue Moly. I think I have seen Milwaukee hole
saws .050, as well.

You might try a place like Garrett Wade woodworking in NYC, or maybe
Constantines, who used to be in Bronx, NY, but is now in Florida, iirc.

Someone with a surface grinder and spin fixture should be able to thin these
down pretty quick. Poss. even a lathe, with a carbide tool. You'll proly
lose some kerf clearance, but for shallow cuts it shouldn't be a big
problem.
--

Mr. PV'd

Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Al

Old June 4th 09, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-04, _ wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:59:37 -0500, Allan wrote:

I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

What's wrong with a Forstner bit?

I think that he wants to use the plug from the hole as the door,
so he wants a minimum kerf. Something rather difficult to do with wood,
I think.

*I* would use the Forstner bit, and turn a plug to fit from some
of the scrap left over from making the birdhouse itself.

They come in sizes to fit most birds, and as long as you back the bit that
will be the birdhouse with some scrap they make weally nice holes.

Agreed -- but I think that he does not want the birds to go
through these doors -- instead he wants t be able to remove the door
after the bird season is over, so he can clean it out for next year's
tenants.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old June 4th 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 01:43:49 GMT, "Artemus"
wrote:

I haven't seen one in better than 30 years but there used to be
a hole saw that you could bend and insert a piece of a hacksaw
blade into it and lock it in with a setscrew. I didn't find one
by googling but look at the pic here
http://www.madeinchina.com/2596137/S...ole-Saws.shtml
It looked similar to the rightmost one.
Maybe someone else will remember it's name.
Art

I think I've seen something like that but can't remember...

My idea was to insert a length of metal cutting blade the right
length to form a circle inside another "normal/usual" hole saw
with the teeth 3/4" outside. Tack weld it a few places.
Old June 4th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:27:22 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

I have/had sets like this, lite duty. Just measured some loose pieces, the
thinnest is .050, from Lennox, 1.5".
Also Starrett, and I think Blue Moly. I think I have seen Milwaukee hole
saws .050, as well.

You might try a place like Garrett Wade woodworking in NYC, or maybe
Constantines, who used to be in Bronx, NY, but is now in Florida, iirc.

I'll take a look, thanks.

Someone with a surface grinder and spin fixture should be able to thin these
down pretty quick. Poss. even a lathe, with a carbide tool. You'll proly
lose some kerf clearance, but for shallow cuts it shouldn't be a big
problem.

Or I considered spinning them and holding them to the belt sander
for a while to thin them down... Surface grinder'd do it nice
though...
Old June 4th 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Use your regular hole saw. Find some veneer a bit thinner than the
blade and laminate a strip around the edge of the "door".

Thin-Kerf Blades Perry Aynum Woodworking 35 March 2nd 09 07:04 AM
thin kerf or reg keft ts blades? Kevin Woodworking 9 January 25th 08 01:11 AM
Full kerf or thin kerf DJ Woodworking 31 July 30th 06 10:52 PM
Thin kerf blades? noxpurt Woodworking 16 May 5th 06 09:14 PM
Good thin-kerf blades BUB 209 Woodworking 7 February 8th 05 03:14 AM