Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default Thin kerf hole saw?

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:59:37 -0500, Allan wrote:

I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

What's wrong with a Forstner bit?

They come in sizes to fit most birds, and as long as you back the bit that
will be the birdhouse with some scrap they make weally nice holes.