Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles Lessig Charles Lessig is offline

Default Thin kerf hole saw?

On Jun 3, 7:59*pm, Allan wrote:
I want to cut round clean-out doors in my birdhouses and wish
there was a hole saw with a very thin kerf, like a metal bandsaw
blade (.035" thick).

All the hole saws I can buy have about .100" kerfs, which is too
much to "fudge". Cut with a band saw works well, but, it's not a
central hole.

Even have the idea to try to make one from a 1 1/16" wide metal
band saw I have... I'd gently feed it in a drill press.

Al

How about cutting a tapered plug with a saber saw at an angle?
Drill a short line of small holes to get the blade through to start.
With the taper big inside just push up the bottom to clean out
the old stuff. This should work unless the bottom is too thin.

Charlie