BUB 209

Default Good thin-kerf blades

What's the best brand of thin kerf 12" blades for a 12" DeWalt sliding com-
pound miter saw? It seems like the saw is a bit underpowered and I don't
want to use the thicker blades, and the cheap thin blades cut like they're
dull from the git go. Maybe you have to live with a blade that has less teeth?
I've been using the 60-80 tooth ones.
Charlie Self

bub209 asks:

What's the best brand of thin kerf 12" blades for a 12" DeWalt sliding com-
pound miter saw? It seems like the saw is a bit underpowered and I don't
want to use the thicker blades, and the cheap thin blades cut like they're
dull from the git go. Maybe you have to live with a blade that has less
teeth?
I've been using the 60-80 tooth ones.

You're running the same amperage in the DeWalt I'm running in my Bosch, IIRC
(15). I don't understand why you're having a problem with power. You're not
making a long cut, depth is seldom more than 3", and 15 amps should be more
than sufficient to drive a 12" 80 tooth (what I'm currently running).
Regardless of blade quality, ANY 12" thin kerf blade is more likely to deflect
and screw up your cut than is a full kerf type.

Charlie Self
"I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
Leon

"BUB 209" wrote in message
What's the best brand of thin kerf 12" blades for a 12" DeWalt sliding
com-
pound miter saw? It seems like the saw is a bit underpowered and I don't
want to use the thicker blades, and the cheap thin blades cut like they're
dull from the git go. Maybe you have to live with a blade that has less
teeth?
I've been using the 60-80 tooth ones.

Perhaps the best brand is Forrest.

But do you want to give up accuracy for speed? Thin kerf blades will flex.
If it were me I would stick with the regular kerf and probably a Forrest and
feed slower. That said however you might find that a premium regular kerf
blade like the Forrest may very cut faster than an average thin kerf blade.
As a side note, I once had a Craftsman 1 hp TS. I used thin kerf
exclusively but was never really happy with the wavy cuts. My local
sharpener talked me in to a regular kerf Systematic blade. I never went
back to a thin kerf blade.

Steve Knight

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:04:53 GMT, max wrote:

I put the Forrest on mine and it cuts like a buzz saw. Forrest blades are
great.

yep thin kerf sucks. hell in a 12" chopsaw I would use a 12" 1/8" thick blade
and a stiffener myself. forrest makes a huge difference.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

SonomaProducts.com

You might be asking too much of the saw. Just be a little more gentle.
I can stall the biggest saw if I'm too aggressive with the pull.

Best thin kerf I've used on the TS is a CMT but never tried ot on the
cuttoff.

patrick conroy

"BUB 209" wrote in message

What's the best brand of thin kerf 12" blades for a 12" DeWalt sliding

com-
pound miter saw? It seems like the saw is a bit underpowered and I don't

Echo what others have said - when you need to nibble or clean up a cut,
you'll curse the thin kerfs. Until they make a "thick kerf:" blade, I'll
stay with my full kerf 60T DeWalt running a negative hook angle.