Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Hey TMT, where's my change?

On Jun 3, 9:03*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

snip

/And what does any of your attempt to divert the discussion from the
/subject have to do with issue of an anti-choice gunnut shooting an
/unarmed man in church to death?
/
/Has hanging around all those Anti-Choice discussion groups turned your
/mind to crap?
/
/TMT
/

HA HA, you should talk, this was about Obama using Bush policy instead of
his claim to "Change" and you brought up the murder of Dr. Tiller. Rich
claimed a baby isn't a baby when its in the mother and I was replying to
that.

RogerN

/
/LOL..if so why were ranting about fetus location?

Question, why is it a fetus in one place and a baby in another place?

Answer, because liberals don't like to admit they are for the murder of
babies, so they call it a fetus.

/How about discussing metal working subjects instead?
/
/TMT

Yeah, you wouldn't post anything off topic, would you? *:-)

Ok, what are you doing in metal working these days?

RogerN

Elimination of fetuses Roger...get your nomenclature right.

Metalworking...coat hangers...lots of coat hangers...for the doctors.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Wow!... Do you bend them yourself?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

No...we subcontract to the Religious Right...they will do anything for
money.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 10:00*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

om...

On May 31, 8:58 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

On May 31, 1:50 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

snip
I don't expect Obama to have anything straightened around anytime
soon.
just noticed TMT is saying that Bush should have done something
about
the
North Korean nuclear threat but I didn't notice Obama doing much
about
it.
It seems he was more concerned about increasing the funding to
Planned
Parenthood than he was about any nuclear threats.

If Bush's wars on terror are a mistake then why is Obama reversing
his
campaign promises and continuing Bush policy?

RogerN

/
/No Roger...Hawke is right.
/
/Now on a subject you seem to favor, I see a doctor was shot in his
/church today...do you condone this incident?
/
/TMT

Just another late term abortion. I don't condone the murder of
innocent
babies but the murderer of the innocent babies got murdered. He got
done
unto him as he did unto many others.

RogerN

/
/So you condone the cold blooded murder of innocent people in church.
/
/Thought so.
/
/Looks like someone isn't the religious one he thought he was.
/
/TMT
/

I never condoned late term abortions of Dr. Tiller or the babies he
butchered. The doctors killer didn't do anything to help eliminate the
need
for abortions, he just eliminated one choice. Sort of like closing one
Wal-Mart, people could just go to another, except you don't need an
abortion
as often as you need to shop so people would be more willing to travel a
little to get an abortion.

If a Christian wants to help cure the abortion problem, he has to change
peoples hearts through loving and helping them(like Jesus said). Who
would
hate Christians if they were dedicated to give themselves to help those
in
need? You don't overcome evil with evil, you overcome evil with good.

RogerN
/
/So Roger...you turn out to be just another damn Bible thrumper making
/excuses to escape personal responsibly.
/
/I don't buy them and nor will Jesus.
/
/What ever happened to accepting responsibility for your
/actions...something that Religious Right conservatives..aka the
/American Taliban...NEVER practice..
/
/You just condoned the domestic terrorist act that this senseless
/killing is and now you are trying to deny it.
/
/And it occurred in a house of worship...the ultimate irony considering
/the values of the Religious Right.
/
/That is why the American public wants and will continue to insist on
/PRO-CHOICE...so they can make their own decisions without interference
/from the ANTI-CHOICE crazies like you.
/
/TMT

OK, Too Many Tumors, if I need to know anything else about what I believe
I'll just ask you and flush what you say down the toilet.

As you say, what ever happened to accepting responsibility for your own
action? *Dr. Tiller killed babies and Dr. Tiller got killed. *There were
only three doctors in the US that sunk low enough to butcher humans as Dr
Tiller did but you want to defend him? *You mention me condoning
senseless killing but you condone late term abortion? *Give the *******
$5000 and he'll butcher your baby. *I hope the babies he killed are in
Heaven roasting marshmallows over the fires of Hell as Dr Tiller screams
in excruciating pain that will never lessen and never end!

RogerN

Who are the other two, Roger?

--
Ed Huntress

I don't know, the new article said he was one of only three who performed
those procedures.

RogerN

More than three...

Neb. doctor wants to carry on Tiller's mission
By ERIC OLSON, Associated Press Writer Eric Olson, Associated Press
Writer Tue Jun 2, 9:25 pm ET

OMAHA, Neb. – Physician LeRoy Carhart wants to continue providing
third-term abortions after the brazen slaying of his friend and
colleague George Tiller, but the Nebraska doctor doesn't have anywhere
to perform them — and he's one of only a handful of providers who
will.

Tiller's Wichita, Kan., clinic was shuttered Sunday after the 67-year-
old physician was gunned down at his church. His family said Tuesday
that they were unsure when it would reopen, posing a problem for
Carhart, who wants to carry on his friend's mission.

Carhart, 67, is one of a handful of remaining doctors in the United
States who perform third-trimester abortions, and it is uncertain if a
new generation of providers will take over the cause. Schools and
universities don't offer many programs to train physicians on how to
perform the procedure, and Carhart said younger doctors who might be
interested in stepping forward are afraid they or their families will
be harmed.

Tiller's slaying underlined that fear. On Tuesday, Kansas authorities
charged 51-year-old Scott Roeder, a staunch abortion opponent, with
first-degree murder in Tiller's death.

"Dr. Tiller and I and all our friends know that tomorrow is never a
given," Carhart told The Associated Press. "I think what we have to do
is not let this loss of his life affect our goals in life, No. 1, and
we need to do things so he's never forgotten."

Carhart twice has appeared before the U.S. Supreme Court to challenge
bans on so-called partial-birth abortions. In 2000, the high court
ruled for Carhart in striking down a Nebraska law because it lacked an
exception to preserve a woman's health and encompassed a more common
abortion method.

He filed a lawsuit in 2003 challenging the federal Partial-Birth
Abortion Ban Act. In 2007, the high court upheld the federal ban on
the procedure, which generally was used to end pregnancies in the
second and third trimester. Doctors called it "intact dilation and
extraction," or D&X. Carhart said then that the ruling "opened the
door to an all-out assault" on the 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade.

Carhart first met Tiller more than 20 years ago and began working at
the Wichita clinic a decade ago. He said he regularly traveled to
Kansas for a few days every third week. He only performs third-term
abortions at Tiller's clinic.

The former Air Force surgeon also operates his own clinic, Abortion &
Contraception Clinic of Nebraska, in a nondescript building in a
working-class neighborhood of Bellevue, an Omaha suburb. But he said
he doesn't perform abortions past the 22nd week of pregnancy there.

"Nebraska state law is based on viability. Nobody has defined that,"
he told the AP. "It's much cheaper to go build a new clinic in Kansas
than to try to define what viability means in Nebraska."

The type of late-term abortions performed by Tiller, Carhart and the
handful of others are rare. More than 820,000 abortions were performed
in the United States in 2005, according to the most recent available
data from the Centers for Disease Control. Less than 2 percent of
abortions occur at 21 weeks of pregnancy or later, according to
Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive-health think tank. It is unknown
how many are done specifically in the third trimester, but Carhart
said 75 to 100 of the "several thousand" abortions he performs
annually are in the third trimester.

Abortion rights advocates also worry the group of physicians who can
provide the service is dwindling.

"There are very, very few abortions that happen at that time," said
Nancy Northrup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, who
said she worries about a "severe shortage" of physicians who can
perform the procedure. "People who need those services need caring and
compassionate and qualified doctors like Dr. Tiller who are able to
provide those services."

With Tiller's death, there are fewer than 10 doctors who perform third-
trimester abortions in the United States, Carhart estimated, and
though he has worked with younger physicians before, he hasn't trained
any abortion providers in third-trimester techniques for at least five
years.

Carhart, with his wife Mary by his side at a news conference Tuesday,
said he'd be willing to train younger doctors but few want to put
themselves or their families at risk.

"Young people starting families aren't going to want to go into
abortion practice," Mary Carhart said. "If you were young with little
kids, would you want abortion opponents outside your house?"

Another doctor who performs third-trimester abortions, 70-year-old
Warren Hern of Boulder, Colo., said he's also concerned there won't be
enough doctors trained to perform abortions in the future. Hern is an
associate clinical professor at the University of Colorado-Denver
School of Medicine, but he said he hasn't been asked to speak on the
topic of abortion at the school in 21 years.

School spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery said full-time faculty mainly
give lectures. As a clinical professor, she said Hern would teach
students in the field, but she didn't know when Hern last worked with
students.

Hern, who is being protected by U.S. Marshals following Tiller's
killing, said many medical schools shy away from teaching about
abortion and doctors don't want to learn about it.

"There are very few places that are teaching it," he said.

A day after Tiller was shot, Carhart vowed to reopen his friend's
Kansas clinic and continue Tiller's mission. But on Tuesday, Tiller's
family said there were no plans to reopen. Carhart said he remains
hopeful that Tiller's family will change their minds. If not, he hopes
another abortion provider will open a clinic in Kansas where he can
work part-time.

For Carhart, the dispute over abortion is personal. In 1991, his
family's rural home burned in a fire apparently started by an abortion
foe.

But the Nebraska doctor said he's determined to continue doing what he
does.

"As long as you have a terrorist who is willing to walk into a church
and kill one person, as long as that element is in society, this is
the risk we take," he said. "You can't live your life based on fear.
You have to live by your principles."

_____

Associated Press Writer Colleen Slevin in Denver contributed to this
report.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, when I heard you mention it I thought it was beyond your capabilities.

What do you think of what Obama is doing now? Think maybe he'll get a
mideast peace treaty going? Think it will be a 7 year treaty broken in 3.5
years?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 10:00 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

om...

On May 31, 1:50 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Must have been a liberal news report, you know how those liberals lie!

snip

Did they publish Scott Roeder's address? I need to send him a huge payment.
Also, do you know where this Carhart fellow hangs out, maybe a present can
be arranged for him. The fastest cure for liberalism is an ounce of lead to
the head.

OK, just kidding, well, maybe it would be the fastest but I don't think the
way to point out that killing babies is wrong is by killing those that kill
them.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

On Jun 2, 10:00 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

om...

On May 31, 1:50 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

Hey, that's damned liberal of you, Roger. Tomorrow you might even consider
the possibility that people have a right to life even *after* they're born.

Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 10:00 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

om...

On May 31, 1:50 pm, "RogerN" wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

[...]

That sounded like a death threat.

Are you looking to do some hard time Roger?

It can be easily arranged.

TMT

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
snip

[...]

You'll have to be there to speak for me. Every time I tell how I feel about
it you tell me that isn't how I feel about it. I guess I don't fit the
stereotype you have in your mind?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Roger...you have a right to your opinion...and so do I.

Making death threats concerning anyone will get you somewhere you do
not want to be.

In my business I have no tolerance for anyone who considers a death
threat a joke.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Note to self
OK to joke about killing innocent babies with a coat hanger.
Not OK to joke about killing those who kill innocent babies.

Does not make sense, must be liberalism.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Worse. 'The Moron Terrorist' is a subhuman troll.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

That is the law.

Don't like it...then work to change it.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Mike...I thought you didn't like OT posts...so why are you posting to
one?

Hypocrite?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

It doesn't seem that laws can be changed, if they can be then why aren't
they? I'm not talking about abortion laws where there are good arguments on
both sides. I'm talking about laws where a robber can sue you if they get
injured while stealing your property and nonsense like that.

Laws I would like to see changed have to do with the child support system.
When my wife divorced me in 1992, my child support was deducted from my
paycheck, I thought there would be no problem as long as I paid my child
support. Completely wrong. I first got behind on payments by my ex putting
the divorce filing on hold, when it went through later, it still had the
original date on the paper, meaning I was months behind before the divorce
was ever filed for. Good thing their printer didn't miss a stroke and put
992 for the year or I would have been behind 1000 years of child support.
After I borrowed money to get that paid up to date, Illinois Department of
Public Aid Child Support Enforcement has been taking me to court and even
had my wages garnished because they do not know how to calculate child
support. Every time it goes like this, I get the records to prove I'm not
behind, I show up in court (take time off work and drive 35 miles away),
IDPA's states attorney is there and already has their mistake figured out.
I don't even have to appear before the judge, it's IDPA's mistake. All
done? Nope they do the same mistake again anywhere from a two weeks to a
year down the road. After garnishing my wages for several months I called
the IDPA office in Springfield IL and told them about it, they stopped the
garnishment and I haven't been harassed by them since then.

And those are just what I've had to put up with. Others are forced to pay
child support on children that aren't even theirs. You shouldn't be forced
to pay child support for a child that isn't yours, but liberals (of course)
disagree. We had no business talking about the atrocities Iraq was
committing in Kuwait when we treat our own citizens like this.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

On Jun 4, 5:23 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Christians thought that abortion was acceptable at least until the 1820s, at
which time the more fanatical evangelicals reversed course; mainstream
Protestants gradually followed, between 1840 and 1910. Catholics, 1869,
although some dissembling bishops have claimed that Catholics always opposed
abortion. What they don't tell you is that the *reason* they opposed it was
because it was prima facie evidence that sex had been committed for a
purpose other than procreation. That was the sin. Terminating the gestating
fetus was not a sin.

Why do you suppose that Christians accepted it for nearly 2,000 years, but
then reversed course, Roger? Were they all liberals then? And, if so, what
in the hell is a "conservative" Christian?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
news

snip

Christians thought that abortion was acceptable at least until the 1820s,
at which time the more fanatical evangelicals reversed course; mainstream
Protestants gradually followed, between 1840 and 1910. Catholics, 1869,
although some dissembling bishops have claimed that Catholics always
opposed abortion. What they don't tell you is that the *reason* they
opposed it was because it was prima facie evidence that sex had been
committed for a purpose other than procreation. That was the sin.
Terminating the gestating fetus was not a sin.

Why do you suppose that Christians accepted it for nearly 2,000 years, but
then reversed course, Roger? Were they all liberals then? And, if so, what
in the hell is a "conservative" Christian?

--
Ed Huntress

I don't know, perhaps they didn't have the technology then to show a baby
struggling for its life as it's being dismembered in its mother?
Unfortunately many Christians play follow the leader, perhaps because they
are too lazy to read their Bible and learn it first hand what their real
leader (Jesus) taught. If you read what Jesus taught, he told the rich man
to sell his possessions and give to the poor, to store up treasures in
Heaven, but TV preachers try to make their Heaven here on Earth, they
certainly aren't following Jesus' teachings. A Christian that follows
Jesus' teachings is hard to find, I don't do very well myself except for the
being poor part :-)

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 8, 4:42*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Why do you suppose that Christians accepted it for nearly 2,000 years, but
then reversed course, Roger? Were they all liberals then? And, if so, what
in the hell is a "conservative" Christian?

--
Ed Huntress

General change in belief of human rights. Note the change occurred
about the same time as when Christians quit believing in slavery. The
Christians accepted slavery for nearly 2,000 years too, but you would
not use that as an argument that slavery was still acceptable.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 8, 4:42 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Why do you suppose that Christians accepted it for nearly 2,000 years, but
then reversed course, Roger? Were they all liberals then? And, if so, what
in the hell is a "conservative" Christian?

--
Ed Huntress

General change in belief of human rights. Note the change occurred
about the same time as when Christians quit believing in slavery. The
Christians accepted slavery for nearly 2,000 years too, but you would
not use that as an argument that slavery was still acceptable.

Dan

That's a strong possibility, Dan, and I'd even hypothesize that it's true --
or at least that it was a strong motivating factor for the change.

Here's what's interesting (and annoying) to me about that idea: The
Enlightenment concept of human rights was behind a lot of such changes, and
it's not surprising that religion in those countries that were heavily
influenced by the Enlightenment -- the UK and the US to begin with -- would
adopt the attitudes and philosophy that were behind it. It had a "natural
rights" and scientific basis. But when it was adopted by religions, the
origins of this right, at least, morphed from a logical/scientific idea into
a supernatural/spiritual one, in which words and ideas became absolutes and
the practical, scientific basis of Enlightenment thinking -- that we have no
right to take a person's life or make him suffer -- was applied to
undifferented lumps of tissue that are "human" only because they have human
DNA (or a human soul, in the case of earlier religious thinkers).

So now they've turned it into a spiritual issue while trying to couch it as
a human rights issue, playing both sides and probably, in almost all cases,
being unable to distinguish the two, often contradictory philosophical bases
behind their thinking. The upshot is that they've demonized those who hold
to the rights basis, those who would deny a right to late-term abortion but
support the woman's right to abort an early-term fetus. This is the
common-sense position that dominated the issue throughout most of Christian
history.

When someone says that they would outlaw abortion from the time of
conception, or that a gestating fetus in the first 20 weeks or so of a
pregnancy is a "person," it's apparent that word magic or religious magic
have taken over their thinking on the issue. Aborting an early-term fetus
has no possible relation to Enlightenment ideas behind human rights, except
to those of the mother. Anyone who has actually read Roe v. Wade will
recognize that this is the underlying philosophy behind that decision.

The conflict is dominated by extremes of philosophical/religious thinking
(those who have no qualms about abortion up to the time of natural birth,
versus those who would accord full rights of life to a zygote floating in
something that resembles a primordial soup). And, as usual with such cases,
common sense has flown out the window.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 9, 4:08*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
.. But when it was adopted by religions, the
origins of this right, at least, morphed from a logical/scientific idea into
a supernatural/spiritual one, in which words and ideas became absolutes and
the practical, scientific basis of Enlightenment thinking -- that we have no
right to take a person's life or make him suffer -- was applied to
undifferented lumps of tissue that are "human" only because they have human
DNA (or a human soul, in the case of earlier religious thinkers).

Practical and scientific are not usually associated with religion. So
I am not surprised about the ideas becoming absolutes.

When someone says that they would outlaw abortion from the time of
conception, or that a gestating fetus in the first 20 weeks or so of a
pregnancy is a "person,"

My thoughts are that babies become persons when they can reason or
maybe when they do not require help to survive. But that is too vague
as far as exactly when someone becomes a person. So some easily noted
time is required for legal purposes. I think 21 is a bit too old and
would vote for say 1 year.

The conflict is dominated by extremes of philosophical/religious thinking
(those who have no qualms about abortion up to the time of natural birth,
versus those who would accord full rights of life to a zygote floating in
something that resembles a primordial soup). And, as usual with such cases,
common sense has flown out the window.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jun 8, 4:42 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Why do you suppose that Christians accepted it for nearly 2,000 years, but
then reversed course, Roger? Were they all liberals then? And, if so, what
in the hell is a "conservative" Christian?

--
Ed Huntress

/
/General change in belief of human rights. Note the change occurred
/about the same time as when Christians quit believing in slavery. The
/Christians accepted slavery for nearly 2,000 years too, but you would
/not use that as an argument that slavery was still acceptable.
/
/ Dan

Perhaps what we consider employment and debt today would be considered
slavery in earlier times.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

snip
If you read what Jesus taught, he told the rich man to sell his
possessions and give to the poor, to store up treasures in Heaven, but TV
preachers try to make their Heaven here on Earth, they certainly aren't
following Jesus' teachings.

Right. A rich Christian is an oxymoron. In the way we use the term
"conservative" in the US these days, a conservative Christian is an
oxymoron, too.

A Christian that follows Jesus' teachings is hard to find, I don't do
very well myself except for the being poor part :-)

Don't try to follow it too closely. Trying to follow the contradictions
and the two-tiered ethics would land you in the nuthouse if you did.

--
Ed Huntress

When you talk about he Bible and Jesus, it reminds me of when someone asks
if a metal lathe only cuts non-ferrous metals or if it can cut steel too.
Or perhaps them stating that you have to use cutting oil to cut steel. In
other words it's plain to see that you're speaking of a subject you have
little understanding of. Just as you apply the calculations in Machinery's
handbook differently for different situations, Jesus' teachings and the
Bible applies differently depending upon the circumstance. I hope you don't
take this as insulting, I don't mean it that way, I just think you're not
interested in the subject and therefore don't study it. I appreciate your
excellent writing skills and metalworking knowledge, I just don't think
you've ever put that kind of effort in Biblical studies, nor should you
since you don't believe it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

snip
[...]

First, I don't take it as an insult. Second, you're right that I don't study
it -- or I haven't, since I was 14 years old. Third, the reason I don't
study it is that I was starting to learn something about logical consistency
by the time I was 14, and it blew my mind that someone would kill commies
for Jesus and find justification for it in the Bible. g

I don't disparage anyone's beliefs, Roger. I do take issue with the things
they do with it, especially when it has consequences for us all.

--
Ed Huntress

change retired54 Home Repair 1 November 5th 08 05:03 PM
"Change your language and you change your thoughts." [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 29th 08 09:32 AM
Change in current to change in voltage [email protected] Electronics 3 January 5th 07 10:07 PM
How Change I Change the Color of Metal Roof Flashing? Mike Home Repair 7 December 19th 05 01:30 AM
Change fuses for MCBs or change the whole lot? JM UK diy 6 December 6th 04 03:41 AM