Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Son's home.

I picked up my youngest son at the Detroit airport on Friday in the
wee hours. I got a room at the airport Westin, and he joined me when
his flight got in. He's on leave from Yuma MCAS for three weeks.
Friday, we drove home, got his pistol purchase license, and drove over
to Jay's in Clare. He picked up a Kimber. I thought I was going to
have to load in order to make it go bang, but yesterday, he found a
box of 250 230 gr. FMJ's that just came in at a sporting goods store
in town. Yesterday evening, we ran a hundred rounds through it,
another hundred through his M4, and fifty developmental loads through
my old .45 LC Blackhawk. Lots of fun. He had one failure to feed.
Pretty good trigger on that Kimber. I think I like about 9.5 gr. of
AA#5 behind the 255 gr. cowboy slugs in the Blackhawk. 11 gr. is kind
of sharp, although certainly within limits.

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house
on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas. I'm taking the machine tools with me. Number 2 son has a
commercial license, so I'll rent a liftgate truck when the time comes,
and load the shop stuff on there. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to
do another Michigan winter.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:
[...]

Come on home, Pete.

We'll dedicate a warm day to you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 16:05:08 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

Word on the street is that Texas is still largely free of the Great
Depression Part Deux, and may stay that way.

Say Howdy to your son and shake his hand for me.

Sua Sponte!

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house

A real 1911 or its good copies are a real joy to shoot. I've got a Norinco
myself, and the ONLY miss-feed I ever had was with some hand loaded target
ammo somebody gave me. Its not got a stack like some of the modern autos,
but if I can't stop most threats with 7 rounds I guess its my fault for
being there in the first place. Of course I'm kinda old fashion that way.
My preferred shooter is an old Dan Wesson wheel gun.

When yer boy gets back to Yuma let him know I try to have an open backseat
in my bass boat for those who serve.

P. S. Tell him to ask the range officer about me. I've taken CWO Allen
Young out on the river once or twice.

bob (at) yumabassman (dot) com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

I picked up my youngest son at the Detroit airport on Friday in the
wee hours. I got a room at the airport Westin, and he joined me when
his flight got in. He's on leave from Yuma MCAS for three weeks.

Assuming aviation, fixed wing or rotary? I think I spent 6 weeks on a det in Yuma, I
liked the place.

Friday, we drove home, got his pistol purchase license, and drove over
to Jay's in Clare. He picked up a Kimber. I thought I was going to
have to load in order to make it go bang, but yesterday, he found a
box of 250 230 gr. FMJ's that just came in at a sporting goods store
in town.

Jay's didn't have .45 ammo? Things must be getting very, very, bad.

Yesterday evening, we ran a hundred rounds through it,
another hundred through his M4, and fifty developmental loads through
my old .45 LC Blackhawk. Lots of fun. He had one failure to feed.

Is he allowed to take the kimber with him if he goes back overseas?

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house
on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas. I'm taking the machine tools with me. Number 2 son has a
commercial license, so I'll rent a liftgate truck when the time comes,
and load the shop stuff on there. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to
do another Michigan winter.

Sorry to see you flee Michigan but Texas is a nice place to be. I hear Austin is sorta
like Ann Arbor so avoid it

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:39:09 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2009 16:05:08 -0400, Pete Keillor ... wrote:

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house on
the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas. I'm taking the machine tools with me. Number 2 son has a
commercial license, so I'll rent a liftgate truck when the time comes,
and load the shop stuff on there. I'm kind of hoping I don't have to do
another Michigan winter.

Word on the street is that Texas is still largely free of the Great
Depression Part Deux, and may stay that way.

It's true that unemployment in Texas is a lot lower (ca 6.7% per
Table 3 at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.htm) than in
California (11.2%) and Michigan (12.6%) but a few places, like
McAllen and Brownsville-Harlingen, are over 9% unemployment, per
http://www.bls.gov/web/laummtrk.htm. Anyway, to expect things
to stay ok takes a leap of faith.

Looks like the towns down California highway 99 might be poster
kids for your GDP2 ... Stockton, Modesto, Merced, Madera, Fresno,
Visalia and Bakersfield all have 15-20% unemployment, in that
second table.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 17:14:28 -0500, James Waldby wrote:

[...]

The average is probably driven up by severely depressed pockets. For
example, it's 100% at gummy's house in Taft...

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Ayup...I live 30 miles from Bakersfield...15.9% Fortunately I work in
So. California...which while better...is still at (off the record) 13.2%
unemployed. Shrug...its mostly the women who are still working, as the
men have lost their jobs since December.

Got to say though that traffice on the LA freeways is MUCH better.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Got to say though that traffic on the LA freeways is MUCH better.

Gunner

See, what ya'll need to do is get together and have a big football game!
Get some PRIDE back!

yee haw!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 17:29:02 -0400, Wes wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

Thanks, everybody. Matt's MOS is engineering equipment operator, and
he's in a repair company, not aviation. Also does hazmat, toolroom.
If he goes to the sandbox, there is probably a way to take the kimber,
just not officially. So far, he's volunteered a couple times, but
been turned down (they said he's mission critical, which sounds like
bs to me for a lcpl in a repair company). He's going to have to pull
some strings to get out of there.

Jay's was not only out of ammo, but out of bullets. It's bad, all
right. I've had better luck online, and that's spotty as hell.

On the subject of Texas, I'm not seeking work, being retired. My wife
is still working, but long term, all our family is in Texas, so that's
where we want to be. I can't get my wife to live on the coast because
of the hurricanes (we've both been through plenty of those), so we'll
probably relocate somewhere in the Brazos valley or near the hill
country. I don't really like the crowding or politics in Austin, so
it wouldn't be in the city. The sprawl is pretty bad, too.

Our main consideration is the #1 son, who has cerebral palsy and
moderate mental retardation. We'll locate somewhere he can have
access to transportation, potential employment, and independent
living, as much as possible. Right now he lives in his own condo,
with support staff a couple hours a day. The downside of Texas is
that level of support has a waiting list about a decade long. So we
figure we'd better get him back and on the list before we get too old.
He misses the family as well, so we're all looking forward to getting
back.

Michigan has its attractions, mainly a nice summer, but the winter is
very loooong. The trees started leafing out just in the last two
weeks. We never did get proficient at fresh water fishing. At least
the old iron has been plentiful.

Right now, instead of enjoying retirement, I'm facing the prospect of
culling junk and getting ready to move. Yuck. It'll be good once
it's over.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house
on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas.

What extra paperwork?

Are you under the mistaken impression that Texas has a firearm registration
law?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yo! Pete,

Great news you've gotten to visit with your son. Maybe when he gets out his return trip will be to
the new home in Texas. Not to worry too much about not getting a 1911. I hear, like you said, the
trigger is really smooth on a Kimber 45. I hope you are as pleased with it as I've been with my
Kimber .22. It is a hunting gun primarily, with a fairly heavy trigger pull, but I've still been
able to bust some 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards. A new, lighter, trigger is coming up.

Great news also you are moving to Texas! From what you've written in the past, it seems you've not
got the tequila and jalapeno out of your system - so come on home. I'm like you; large cities
everywhere suffer from urban sprawl, so you'll be wise to locate a comfortable distance from one of
the better med centers for the sake of the younger boy.

Keep in touch and let us know how you and family will be getting along with your new retirement.
Look at the move and all the attendant stress as changing jobs again - only this time you get to
rest.

Very best,

Bob Swinney

"RAM³" wrote in message
. 10...
Pete Keillor wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house
on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas.

What extra paperwork?

Are you under the mistaken impression that Texas has a firearm registration
law?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11 May 2009 00:10:11 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the house
on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've got enough
stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state paperwork in
Texas.

What extra paperwork?

Are you under the mistaken impression that Texas has a firearm registration
law?

No. I won't have extra paperwork in Texas. I do in Michigan. In
Texas, I also don't need a firearms rider on my homeowner's policy
because firearms are considered normal household furnishings.

Pete

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

On 11 May 2009 00:10:11 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I refrained from buying a 1911 because we've decided to put the
house on the market and get us back to Texas when it sells. I've
got enough stuff to move already, and I won't need any extra state
paperwork in Texas.

What extra paperwork?

Are you under the mistaken impression that Texas has a firearm
registration law?

No. I won't have extra paperwork in Texas. I do in Michigan. In
Texas, I also don't need a firearms rider on my homeowner's policy
because firearms are considered normal household furnishings.

Pete

EGAD!!!

Extra Insurance?

A 1911 IS extra insurance!

Hie yourself hither ASAP, Pete, and live among rational folks. grin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

You left Texas to go to Michigan??? In '67 I left Michigan to head to
Texas, never looked back.
Services are kinda slow in TX. for things like CP. My sister has MS, but
has good insurance, that's what's keeping her going.
Welcome back. Look around Marble Falls...one hour from Austin on pretty
good roads. Health care is improving at a pretty good clip, at least that's
how I see it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rick Samuel wrote:

You left Texas to go to Michigan??? In '67 I left Michigan to head to
Texas, never looked back.
Services are kinda slow in TX. for things like CP. My sister has MS, but
has good insurance, that's what's keeping her going.
Welcome back. Look around Marble Falls...one hour from Austin on pretty
good roads. Health care is improving at a pretty good clip, at least that's
how I see it.

Everybody leaves Texas for a while - jest to see what the poor people out
there are doing.

Take a look at Sherman/Denison area too. About an hour drive north of
Dallas/Fort Worth and right on Lake Texoma.

I haven't scoped it all out, but there are major medical services here -
and a brand new hospital almost finished in Sherman.
Medical industry seems to be in growth phase here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep, life is pretty good here.
Hurry back, though they could probably use a conservative voter more up
there.