Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default aluminum cooking pots

hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 8:15*pm, wrote:
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
*if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.

Copper is poisonous. You'd want to line it with tin.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.

Aluminum isn't good either unless it's coated so the food doesn't touch the
aluminum. Better to be made from stainless steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 7 May 2009 02:45:53 -0700 (PDT), kfvorwerk
wrote:

On May 6, 8:15*pm, wrote:
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
*if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.

Copper is poisonous. You'd want to line it with tin.
Karl

Copper is fine for certain uses, a bare copper kettle is the
preferred vessel for candy making.

BUT, copper is reactive when exposed to highly acidic foods, and the
resulting compounds in the food taste horrible in small quantities and
poisonus in larger quantities. So you coat the pot on the inside with
tin, and it has to be renewed every few years or few hundred uses.

People used to make a living doing this, tinkers were almostg as
common as blacksmiths and buggy whip makers.

Nowadays, they make laminated pots with a stainless interior and a
big slab of copper on the bottom for the even heat spread qualities.

This is also why you NEVER use copper tubing on a soda fountain
(stainless steel or plastic lines only) and why they require special
double backflow valves on the water supply line, so the carbonated
water can not get back into the copper building pipes. The copper
reacts with the CO2 (carbonic acid) and will make anyone who drinks
the tainted water REALLY sick.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

kfvorwerk wrote:
On May 6, 8:15 pm, wrote:
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.

Copper is poisonous. You'd want to line it with tin.

I wonder why I'm not dead, what with all the
beer that I've drunk that was brewed in copper
vessels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uh-oh. I should be dead from the copper water lines.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Copper is poisonous. You'd want to line it with tin.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard W. wrote:

wrote in message
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

Aluminum isn't good either unless it's coated so the food doesn't touch the
aluminum. Better to be made from stainless steel.

Nothing wrong with aluminum for cooking pots. Commercial
kitchens use them all the time. I don't the specific alloy,
but any kitchen supply store will have lots of plain aluminum
cooking pots and it isn't coated.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You'd have to tell someone HOW you planned to make your aluminum pot,
and what size pot you want to make.
Are you going to cast it?
Are you going to cold draw it?
Are you going to hot forge it?
Are you going to spin it?
Are you going to fabricate it by welding several pieces together?
?

Each method has its own material needs. The expertise and equipment
needed for each method are unique, too, which you'd need to already
have, or be prepared to obtain.

Copper vessels are a lot easier to make by hand and without expensive
tools, since pure copper is very ductile. However, the skill set
necessary to do the job doesn't come easily and there is quite a bit of
manual (Google "raising copper")effort required to do it. Tinning the
vessel after forming it is not a big deal, if you need to do it all for
your application.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

wrote:

hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

i know this is stupid question but i am not sure for cooking ware
so..i would like to ask same,
if i use copper ? copper is copper? any particular for health issue?

thanks in advance.

Yoshi.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 07 May 2009 13:07:15 -0500, spaco
wrote:

Uh-oh. I should be dead from the copper water lines.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Hi Pete, water-soluble copper *ions* (give a blue or blue-green
solution in high enough concentration) are indeed poisonous. Copper
*metal* water lines are usually no problem because copper is pretty
inert as metals go (tin is even more so). That's one of the reasons
copper is so great for plumbing.

But if the fluid in the copper metal is sufficiently acidic, small
amounts of copper ions can be formed. At low concentrations there's a
nasty metallic taste to the water. Higher concentrations are
doubleplusungood.

This points to a universal truth: a metal (or nonmetal) in its
*element* form is radically different in both physical and chemical
properties from the same element in a compound or in ionic form.
Potassium and sodium (ions) are both necessary to life, but if you
swallowed either metal, life would be....interesting. And quite
short.

OTOH, a child may swallow a steel ball bearing with little hazard
apart from an unusual subsequent bowel movement. But iron poisoning
(from supplements, ferrous ions) is one of the leading causes of death
among young children.

Best -- Terry
....sorry about that, I can't help trying to teach...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...
Richard W. wrote:

wrote in message
hi all
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

Aluminum isn't good either unless it's coated so the food doesn't touch
the
aluminum. Better to be made from stainless steel.

Nothing wrong with aluminum for cooking pots. Commercial
kitchens use them all the time. I don't the specific alloy,
but any kitchen supply store will have lots of plain aluminum
cooking pots and it isn't coated.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

The newer ones are anodized to seal the metal.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 7, 2:23*pm, wrote:
wrote:
i would like to make an aluminum cooking pot .
which aluminum alloy should i use ?

I think several different alloys are used, but
here's a link to a maker that uses 3003.http://catalog.carlislefsp.com/cookw...weighta~1.html

Hope that helps.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

thank you all ,it helps a lot ,the reason why i want to make aluminum
pot is to heat rapidly and retain even heat.
and some chef in japan love those ,so do i ,used be chef long time
ago ,i plan to make veriety size of those.

copper one ,i sometimes saw in department store and so expensive ,that
why i was curious .

thanks again
Yoshi.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On May 6, 8:15*pm, wrote:
[...]

OK so I left out a couple cooking devices it's used in without tinning
but it looks like he's going to use them for a variety of purposes so
not a good idea without tinning. I have one teflon coated AL pan the
rest are natural AL. The hard aluminum hard anodizing is part of a
nonstick process not for food safety. If you want to get scared by
cookware look up what happens when you heat teflon pans too hot.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 8, 6:00*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , wrote:
Nothing wrong with aluminum for cooking pots.

You don't cook much, apparently.

Try cooking something acidic -- sweet-and-sour sauce, say, or anything with
tomatos in it, like spaghetti sauce -- in an aluminum pot. Then see how you
enjoy the metallic taste in your food.

I do spaghetti in an aluminum electric frypan all the time, no
"metallic taste" noticed. That's not to say some of the surface
doesn't leach, but not so it affects the taste.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 May 2009 17:08:15 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

Nothing wrong with aluminum for cooking pots.

You don't cook much, apparently.

Try cooking something acidic -- sweet-and-sour sauce, say, or
anything with tomatos in it, like spaghetti sauce -- in an aluminum
pot. Then see how you enjoy the metallic taste in your food.

I use an aluminum pot to make spaghetti sauce , and have for years . No
off taste that I can detect . Of course , as old as that pot is , it's
likely got a nice coating of Al Oxide ...

For that matter, I've salted and pickled onions and shallots in an
aluminium
container. To be fair, the pepper corns and chilies may have disguised any
metallic taste :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Human Exposure To Aluminum And Multiple Sclerosis Link, Keele University

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/37943.php

Scientists at Keele University in Staffordshire have discovered the first
evidence of a link between human exposure to aluminum and multiple
sclerosis.

Their research has demonstrated very high (up to 40 times the control level)
urinary excretion of aluminum in MS, particularly so in the
relapsing-remitting form of the disease. Urinary excretion of iron was also
significantly elevated in MS and particularly so in the secondary
progressive form of the disease.

Urinary excretion of silicon, the ?natural' antagonist to the potential
toxicity of aluminum, was decreased in MS and particularly so in secondary
progressive form of the disease.

The research suggests that individuals with MS have a higher body burden of
aluminum and that their urinary excretion of aluminum is linked to changes
taking place during the relapsing-remitting stage of the disease.

Dr Christopher Exley, Birchall Centre for Inorganic Chemistry and Materials
Science, Lennard-Jones Laboratories, Keele University, Staffordshire, said:
?If, as is currently believed, MS is a disorder resulting from the interplay
between the environment and susceptibility genes then our observation of
elevated excretion of iron may be indicative of the latter, while elevated
excretion of aluminum suggests that exposure to aluminum may be the hitherto
unrecognized environmental factor in MS.?

Other researchers involved in the study we Godwin Mamutse(2), Olga
Korchazhkina(3), Eleanor Pye(2), Stanislav Strekopytov(1), Anthony
Polwart(4), Clive Hawkins(2).

(2) - Department of Neurology, University Hospital of North Staffordshire,
Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.

(3) - Institute for Science and Technology in Medicine, Keele University,
Staffordshire, UK.

(4) - School of Life Sciences, Huxley Building, Keele University,
Staffordshire, UK.

KEELE UNIVERSITY
Keele
Staffordshire
ST5 5BG
UK
http://www.keele.ac.uk

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/37943.php

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

[...]

Aluminum was being blamed for Alzheimers for a while.

The problem is that even if their measurements of excretion levels are
correct, the correlation cannot tell cause from effect from common
cause. One looks for such correlations first before trying to establish
causation, because proving causation is far harder to do.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 9, 11:41*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
*"Richard W." wrote:

.. .
wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---
--

Article URL:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/37943.php

Aluminum was being blamed for Alzheimers for a while.

The problem is that even if their measurements of excretion levels are
correct, the correlation cannot tell cause from effect from common
cause. *One looks for such correlations first before trying to establish
causation, because proving causation is far harder to do.

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

http://www.portaec.net/local/aluminu..._aluminum.html

Alum is aluminum sulphate:
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departm.../chemicals.htm

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Jim Wilkins wrote:

On May 9, 11:41*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
*"Richard W." wrote:

.. .

wrote:

said:
[...]

-*---
--

Article URL:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/37943.php

Aluminum was being blamed for Alzheimers for a while.

The problem is that even if their measurements of excretion levels are
correct, the correlation cannot tell cause from effect from common
cause. *One looks for such correlations first before trying to establish
causation, because proving causation is far harder to do.

http://www.portaec.net/local/aluminu..._aluminum.html

Alum is aluminum sulphate:
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/departm.../chemicals.htm

Aluminum is the most common metallic element on earth, and is about 9%
of the mass of the planet. There is more aluminum on earth than living
things. If it causes us any real trouble after all these aeons, then
there is no hope.

http://www.enotes.com/earth-science/aluminum

Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Aluminum is the most common metallic element on earth, and is about 9%
of the mass of the planet. There is more aluminum on earth than living
things. If it causes us any real trouble after all these aeons, then
there is no hope.

http://www.enotes.com/earth-science/aluminum

Absolute nonsense. Read the article you cited: it's talking about the *crust*,
not the planet as a whole -- which has an iron core. (Remember 7th grade
science class?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joseph Gwinn wrote:

But all life on the planet is in the crust, not the core, and the
aluminum part of the crust still outweighs all life. Being only in the
crust actually strengthens the argument, as it raises the Al
concentration that life must have dealt with for aeons, from before
multicellular life evolved, billions of years ago. Hominids are only a
few million years old. I'll keep my aluminum pots and pans.

Note that I'm not the one who raised questions of possible toxicity; I only
pointed out the gustatory unsuitability of aluminum cooking vessels for acidic
foods.