Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Best way to clean Pots.

IMHO, its easier to replace the pot. with a new one, I know this involves
de-soldering/soldering but there are so many reasons why a pot. can fail and
that the maintenance will eventually fail that you might as well bite the
bullet and replace it. I might not advise this if you were commercially
servicing but if you are repairing your own kit I really think this is the
long-term solution that can be relied on.
Cheers
Tony
"trm54321" wrote in message
I'm assuming spraying down the shaft with a cleaner/ lub and work it
is the best way to do this?
Some pots have openings in the body also and is this a better option?
Cheers!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:05:19 +0000, Slowchordchanger Has Frothed:

IMHO, its easier to replace the pot. with a new one, I know this involves
de-soldering/soldering but there are so many reasons why a pot. can fail and
that the maintenance will eventually fail that you might as well bite the
bullet and replace it. I might not advise this if you were commercially
servicing but if you are repairing your own kit I really think this is the
long-term solution that can be relied on.
Cheers
Tony

I work exclusively on guitar amps, guitars, PA gear and I would never
clean a pot and send it back to the customer without telling them I just
put a BandAid on it and to get it back for a replacement ASAP. Nor do I
ever charge just to clean a pot.

You give away your services? It takes time to open up a unit to get to
the pot to clean it. Sometimes, parts are not available. And using
the Good caig stuff is not cheap either. A Band-Aid is better than
unusable.

Bob

COOSN-266-06-25794

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:26:18 -0600, BOB URZ Has Frothed:

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Takes me all of what, 5 minutes to spray a pot on a guitar amp. It's good
for customer relations and business when the customer thinks they are
getting something for nothing. I'm not a robot stuck back in the far end
of the building churning out amp repairs on an assembly line. Customers
are welcome to visit my service area and ask questions pertaining to their
equipment. Word of mouth has brought me many customers, some travel from
out of town where they could have had repairs done locally so I must be
doing something right. I'm also a gigging musician so I understand the
customer's needs. As far as Band-Aids go, a pot spray is about it. Nothing
will lose you a customer faster than sending out an amp only to have it
fail while it's being used at a gig. I always recommend replacement and in
emergencies when a part isn't available, I will make a suitable loaner
available with a deposit. I just treat customers how I want to be treated
when I take something in for service like my Harley or other vehicle.

If it takes any amount of time, I would ask the owner what he wants.

greg