Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lifting B'port series I R2E4 BOSS-9

I have my 'new' mill sitting just outside the milling room on a 4'
high trailer.

I can have a friend with a boom lift pick it up and set it on its pad
tomorrow. OR I can wait a week for a forklift to be free.

Can I safely lift the whole machine using the access holes in the
headstock casting? I know they're not made for the purpose, and
wonder if the headstock bolts to the column will elongate or fail?
(they look strong enough, but the whole machine is "cantilevered" off
the column, unlike a ram-style machine)

Anyone with experience moving this one?

Thanks,
LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I have my 'new' mill sitting just outside the milling room on a 4'
high trailer.

I can have a friend with a boom lift pick it up and set it on its pad
tomorrow. OR I can wait a week for a forklift to be free.

Can I safely lift the whole machine using the access holes in the
headstock casting? I know they're not made for the purpose, and
wonder if the headstock bolts to the column will elongate or fail?
(they look strong enough, but the whole machine is "cantilevered" off
the column, unlike a ram-style machine)

Anyone with experience moving this one?

Thanks,
LLoyd

Is there some reason you can't lift it from the bottom skid with slings?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

I have my 'new' mill sitting just outside the milling room on a 4'
high trailer.

I can have a friend with a boom lift pick it up and set it on its pad
tomorrow. OR I can wait a week for a forklift to be free.

Can I safely lift the whole machine using the access holes in the
headstock casting? I know they're not made for the purpose, and
wonder if the headstock bolts to the column will elongate or fail?
(they look strong enough, but the whole machine is "cantilevered" off
the column, unlike a ram-style machine)

Anyone with experience moving this one?

Thanks,
LLoyd

Is there some reason you can't lift it from the bottom skid with slings?

You could also use the week to review the electrical cab and sort out
the phase converter or single phase rewiring issue so you're ready to
go.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4963aa68$0
:
Is there some reason you can't lift it from the bottom skid with

slings?

I'd need a sling with a load fork to clear all the cabinets, etc. I
don't have one, and he doesn't either.

You could also use the week to review the electrical cab and sort

out
the phase converter or single phase rewiring issue so you're ready

go.

I'm ready to plug it in as soon as it's moved.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd, interesting acquisition. Does it use paper tape for
instructions?

Are the four bolts that hold the head, to the base, 5/8" in diameter?

Do you have a manual? It should describe an acceptable lifting
procedure. Can you call Hardinge to find out? They have some nice guys
that could possibly help you. I just spoke to them on the phone
yesterday about something else.

Barring that, can you attach lifting ears to the two front bolts out
of four, and then loop a chain so that it starts at one ear, then goes
up to the hook, then goes underneath the neck of the mill, then up
again and to the same hook, and then down to the other lifting ear?

That would seem to leave it in a fairly balanced and safe
position. Maybe use real bolts instead of front bolts depending on
weight distribution.

If you have an adjustable sling, like one the pictured on McMaster
page 1456, you can do that very easily. I have one and it is very
versatile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I have my 'new' mill sitting just outside the milling room on a 4'
high trailer.

I can have a friend with a boom lift pick it up and set it on its pad
tomorrow. OR I can wait a week for a forklift to be free.

Can I safely lift the whole machine using the access holes in the
headstock casting? I know they're not made for the purpose, and
wonder if the headstock bolts to the column will elongate or fail?
(they look strong enough, but the whole machine is "cantilevered" off
the column, unlike a ram-style machine)

Anyone with experience moving this one?

No, but I can't imagine any bolt bigger than 1/4" grade 3 that would not
have a tensile strength several times the weight of any BP mill, even
multiplied by the cantilever.
If you have 4 of them, I'd say it's a great bet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, interesting acquisition. Does it use paper tape for
instructions?

It can, but it can load up from a text file. It'll go up to 9600
baud, which sounds like creeping by today's standards, but fast enough
for a g-code/m-code block.

Are the four bolts that hold the head, to the base, 5/8" in

diameter?

I didn't measure them, but seem to recall they're 1/2". Hmmmmm....

Do you have a manual? It should describe an acceptable lifting
procedure.

Only an operator's manual. Nothing technical in there.

Barring that, can you attach lifting ears to the two front bolts out
of four, and then loop a chain so that it starts at one ear, then

goes
up to the hook, then goes underneath the neck of the mill, then up
again and to the same hook, and then down to the other lifting ear?

Hmmmm... that probably wouldn't work if the bolts are 1/2", but you
just gave me an idea. Now I've got to find that roll of 8" wide
webbing....

If you have an adjustable sling, like one the pictured on McMaster
page 1456, you can do that very easily. I have one and it is very
versatile.

I have several 5/8" load binder chains that will suffice for this
small a load.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB fired this volley in news:gk0di5$o09$1
@news.motzarella.org:

No, but I can't imagine any bolt bigger than 1/4" grade 3 that would

not
have a tensile strength several times the weight of any BP mill, even
multiplied by the cantilever.

Of course you're right, but I have this thing about "safety factor" with
overhead lifting (and when it's coming out of my pocket if it crashes
G).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

RB fired this volley in news:gk0di5$o09$1
@news.motzarella.org:

No, but I can't imagine any bolt bigger than 1/4" grade 3 that would

not
have a tensile strength several times the weight of any BP mill, even
multiplied by the cantilever.

Of course you're right, but I have this thing about "safety factor" with
overhead lifting (and when it's coming out of my pocket if it crashes
G).

LLoyd

Key points:

- It's not "overhead lifting", it is simple lifting.

- Lift it a couple inches, then pull the trailer out from under it, then
lower it to an inch or two above the ground before any horizontal
movement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4963c1be$0
:

- It's not "overhead lifting", it is simple lifting.

- Lift it a couple inches, then pull the trailer out from under it,

then
lower it to an inch or two above the ground before any horizontal
movement.

I agree with your second point -- that was the plan.

But any time the majority of the load is above head-high, I call that
"overhead lifting". That may be only semantics, but in this case, all
but about 500lb of the machine will be neck-high by the time we can
pull the trailer out.

I got the info I needed (for certain), and the head's plumbing access
drafts are a legitimate place to lift. That solves a whole bunch.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

I got the info I needed (for certain), and the head's plumbing

access
drafts are a legitimate place to lift. That solves a whole bunch.

Oh... Thanks Iggy, for reminding me that the Hardinge guys are "good
fellas". They hooked me up with one of their (by their words) "old-
timers" who had a lot of experience moving BOSS machines.

He chuckled a bit, then said that they lift the entire head off (about
1000lb of the 3500) with just three 1/4-20 bolts under the motor cap.

He also said that the access drafts "were the standard sling point"
for that machine, and much preferrable to getting it up to pallet
height with Johnson Bars.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, interesting acquisition. Does it use paper tape for
instructions?

It can, but it can load up from a text file. It'll go up to 9600
baud, which sounds like creeping by today's standards, but fast enough
for a g-code/m-code block.

Are the four bolts that hold the head, to the base, 5/8" in

diameter?

I didn't measure them, but seem to recall they're 1/2". Hmmmmm....

Are they Grade 5? If they are grade 5, their breaking strength should
be at least 17,000 lbs each. If your BOSS weighs 7,000 lbs, and with
some minimal cantilevering action, with the method I described, the
strain on the bolts in addition to their existing tension would be
only 5,000 lbs per bolt or so. (it is easy to calculate based on the
position of your hook in relation to the center of the column)

Barring that, can you attach lifting ears to the two front bolts out
of four, and then loop a chain so that it starts at one ear, then

goes
up to the hook, then goes underneath the neck of the mill, then up
again and to the same hook, and then down to the other lifting ear?

Hmmmm... that probably wouldn't work if the bolts are 1/2", but you
just gave me an idea. Now I've got to find that roll of 8" wide
webbing....

It will work just fine.

If you have an adjustable sling, like one the pictured on McMaster
page 1456, you can do that very easily. I have one and it is very
versatile.

I have several 5/8" load binder chains that will suffice for this
small a load.

Should work out great.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Oh... Thanks Iggy, for reminding me that the Hardinge guys are "good
fellas". They hooked me up with one of their (by their words) "old-
timers" who had a lot of experience moving BOSS machines.

He chuckled a bit, then said that they lift the entire head off (about
1000lb of the 3500) with just three 1/4-20 bolts under the motor cap.

He also said that the access drafts "were the standard sling point"
for that machine, and much preferrable to getting it up to pallet
height with Johnson Bars.

I prefer to work with careful men. Optimists scare the chg*t of of me.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

I got the info I needed (for certain), and the head's plumbing

access
drafts are a legitimate place to lift. That solves a whole bunch.

Oh... Thanks Iggy, for reminding me that the Hardinge guys are "good
fellas". They hooked me up with one of their (by their words) "old-
timers" who had a lot of experience moving BOSS machines.

Glad to hear that.

By the way, they are "good fellas", except for one thing.

Try to call them again and ask how much does a collet cost for a
Quillmaster angle milling attachment. Have your heart medications
nearby (not recommended for people on pacemakers). The price is $440
or so for one itty bitty collet.

He chuckled a bit, then said that they lift the entire head off (about
1000lb of the 3500) with just three 1/4-20 bolts under the motor cap.

Cool.

He also said that the access drafts "were the standard sling point"
for that machine, and much preferrable to getting it up to pallet
height with Johnson Bars.

Lloyd, sorry for ignorance, where are those "access drafts"?

Care to post some pictures of your BOSS?
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 wrote:

Care to post some pictures of your BOSS?

If you don't have resources to post pictures, I'd be willing to put them up. I'd sure
Iggy would also.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus6829 wrote:

Care to post some pictures of your BOSS?

If you don't have resources to post pictures, I'd be willing to put them up. I'd sure
Iggy would also.

I already host a bunch of "other people's projects" pictures. Will be
glad to.

By the way, I got a few emails from happy people who found some hard
to find manuals in my online manual PDF collection.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, sorry for ignorance, where are those "access drafts"?

"holes" in the casting, for admitting plumbing, wires, etc.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

By the way, I got a few emails from happy people who found some hard
to find manuals in my online manual PDF collection.

So... you got the whole raft of manuals for the Series I, R2E4, BOSS-9
machines? G (pretty please?)

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, sorry for ignorance, where are those "access drafts"?

"holes" in the casting, for admitting plumbing, wires, etc.

So thre are some holes that permit hooks to be inserted? (no wires to
damage), that's great.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

So thre are some holes that permit hooks to be inserted? (no wires to
damage), that's great.

Yeah. Two are _obviously_ for slipping in a sling pole. They're
exactly 2" square, on exactly opposite sides of the headpiece, exactly
over the center of the base, and no wiring runs close to them.

Two are 2x4, and look to be hand-holes for helping route cabling.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I will write later, I am driving

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:27:33 -0500, Wes wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Oh... Thanks Iggy, for reminding me that the Hardinge guys are "good
fellas". They hooked me up with one of their (by their words) "old-
timers" who had a lot of experience moving BOSS machines.

He chuckled a bit, then said that they lift the entire head off (about
1000lb of the 3500) with just three 1/4-20 bolts under the motor cap.

He also said that the access drafts "were the standard sling point"
for that machine, and much preferrable to getting it up to pallet
height with Johnson Bars.

I prefer to work with careful men. Optimists scare the chg*t of of me.

Wes

indeed!!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Oh... Thanks Iggy, for reminding me that the Hardinge guys are "good
fellas". They hooked me up with one of their (by their words) "old-
timers" who had a lot of experience moving BOSS machines.

He chuckled a bit, then said that they lift the entire head off (about
1000lb of the 3500) with just three 1/4-20 bolts under the motor cap.

He also said that the access drafts "were the standard sling point"
for that machine, and much preferrable to getting it up to pallet
height with Johnson Bars.

I prefer to work with careful men. Optimists scare the chg*t of of me.

Wes

I'm sure the 1/4-20 bolts they use are quality ones, not grade 0.5 crap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

By the way, I got a few emails from happy people who found some hard
to find manuals in my online manual PDF collection.

So... you got the whole raft of manuals for the Series I, R2E4, BOSS-9
machines? G (pretty please?)

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Bridgeport/BOSS/

Some stuff for R2E4, etc.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-07, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

So thre are some holes that permit hooks to be inserted? (no wires to
damage), that's great.

Yeah. Two are _obviously_ for slipping in a sling pole. They're
exactly 2" square, on exactly opposite sides of the headpiece, exactly
over the center of the base, and no wiring runs close to them.

Two are 2x4, and look to be hand-holes for helping route cabling.

Sounds like you have your answer, then.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I have my 'new' mill sitting just outside the milling room on a 4'
high trailer.

I can have a friend with a boom lift pick it up and set it on its pad
tomorrow. OR I can wait a week for a forklift to be free.

Can I safely lift the whole machine using the access holes in the
headstock casting? I know they're not made for the purpose, and
wonder if the headstock bolts to the column will elongate or fail?
(they look strong enough, but the whole machine is "cantilevered" off
the column, unlike a ram-style machine)

Anyone with experience moving this one?

Thanks,
LLoyd

Moved a Boss9 R2E4 several times and a Boss 5 once. Both series ones.
Leave the head attached. Sling basket through the mentioned holes in the
head casting on a hook. It'll pitch forward a little, so be ready to
pucker a bit.

I built a skid with 4x4's and 3/4" ply on top and bottom. The lumber is
dead centered under the leveling holes in the base. I lower the machine
onto the skid & lag it down. Use a fork truck from there. Orient the skid
to lift from the non-cabinet side.

I'd wait for the fork truck.

Good luck!

--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John L. Weatherly" fired this volley
in :

Moved a Boss9 R2E4 several times and a Boss 5 once. Both series

ones.
Leave the head attached. Sling basket through the mentioned holes

in
the head casting on a hook. It'll pitch forward a little, so be

ready
to pucker a bit.

Did...g but it leveled out really nice once the hook centered up.

I'd wait for the fork truck.

It's moved, on its 'home' slab, and will get hooked up in the next
five or six days, as other work permits.

Thanks for all the help, folks. THIS machine is my biggest, so far.
It clears the ceiling by about 3" G.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Bridgeport/BOSS/

Some stuff for R2E4, etc.

Iggy, most of the files I've checked are just the first few pages.

Do you have these manuals, or were they supplied by others?

If you have them, complete, contact me off-list, please. I'd like to
offer a loan or copying deal.

Just take the "inside" out of my address.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Thanks for all the help, folks. THIS machine is my biggest, so far.
It clears the ceiling by about 3" G.

Emphasis on the "so far". My biggest so far is a Smith and Mills 25"
shaper. My forklift can only lift 5k, so I made skates and called a tow
truck.

Speaking of height clearance on the r2e4, at it's first home with me, it was
sandwiched between the floor joists of my walk-in basement...
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

I prefer to work with careful men. Optimists scare the chg*t of of me.

Wes

I'm sure the 1/4-20 bolts they use are quality ones, not grade 0.5 crap.

I was refering to Lloyds careful research. But since you mention it, I hope they use good
stuff.

I wonder what the typical safety factor for lifts is as a matter of good practice.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

It's moved, on its 'home' slab, and will get hooked up in the next
five or six days, as other work permits.

Thanks for all the help, folks. THIS machine is my biggest, so far.
It clears the ceiling by about 3" G.

Is this what it looks like?

http://versitechproducts.com/images/...26a_S1R2E4.gif

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-09, Wes wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

It's moved, on its 'home' slab, and will get hooked up in the next
five or six days, as other work permits.

Thanks for all the help, folks. THIS machine is my biggest, so far.
It clears the ceiling by about 3" G.

Is this what it looks like?

http://versitechproducts.com/images/...26a_S1R2E4.gif

Or like this?

http://tinyurl.com/9senbr

(Lloyd, ask the seller for a copy of the manual, possibly for a fee)

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes fired this volley in news:Sfy9l.119375$NN4.80143
@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com:

http://versitechproducts.com/images/...26a_S1R2E4.gif

Wes, that'd be it. You have to keep the scale in mind, though. The
keyboard is about 3" above my head, and I'm 6' tall.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7855 fired this volley in
:

(Lloyd, ask the seller for a copy of the manual, possibly for a fee)

All he had was the "operator's manual", which he gave me. It's
basically a discussion of what keys do what, and how to power up the
machine. There's nothing in there about hookup, types of lubricants,
etc.

But I found a really nice guy (actually two of 'em) on CNCzone. One
will copy his manuals as time permits, and email JPGs of the pages.
The other one will do a full paper copy of all seven manuals, and ship
them to me for about $150 (which isn't a bad deal, considering the
volume of paper).

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 06:31:55 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

But I found a really nice guy (actually two of 'em) on CNCzone. One
will copy his manuals as time permits, and email JPGs of the pages.
The other one will do a full paper copy of all seven manuals, and ship
them to me for about $150 (which isn't a bad deal, considering the
volume of paper).

LLoyd

Its a VERY tall stack when you have the complete set. About 2 foot tall.

I found at least 3 mplete sets a client had tossed out, a few years ago.
Unfortunately he had tossed into a 55 gal drum and it was sitting under
a rain gutter downspout, the day after a cloud burst...sigh

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost