Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6829 Ignoramus6829 is offline

Default Lifting B'port series I R2E4 BOSS-9

On 2009-01-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus6829 fired this volley in
:

Lloyd, interesting acquisition. Does it use paper tape for
instructions?

It can, but it can load up from a text file. It'll go up to 9600
baud, which sounds like creeping by today's standards, but fast enough
for a g-code/m-code block.

Are the four bolts that hold the head, to the base, 5/8" in

diameter?

I didn't measure them, but seem to recall they're 1/2". Hmmmmm....

Are they Grade 5? If they are grade 5, their breaking strength should
be at least 17,000 lbs each. If your BOSS weighs 7,000 lbs, and with
some minimal cantilevering action, with the method I described, the
strain on the bolts in addition to their existing tension would be
only 5,000 lbs per bolt or so. (it is easy to calculate based on the
position of your hook in relation to the center of the column)

Barring that, can you attach lifting ears to the two front bolts out
of four, and then loop a chain so that it starts at one ear, then

goes
up to the hook, then goes underneath the neck of the mill, then up
again and to the same hook, and then down to the other lifting ear?

Hmmmm... that probably wouldn't work if the bolts are 1/2", but you
just gave me an idea. Now I've got to find that roll of 8" wide
webbing....

It will work just fine.

If you have an adjustable sling, like one the pictured on McMaster
page 1456, you can do that very easily. I have one and it is very
versatile.

I have several 5/8" load binder chains that will suffice for this
small a load.

Should work out great.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/