Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice needed. Drilling through the ground

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:00:33 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

=================
One way if you have city water [or a good pump] available (and no
rocks) is to pump water through a pipe to wash the dirt out in
front of it. The dirt and water will flush back around the pipe.
Several short sections of pipe are generally easier to handle. A
cap on the end of the pipe with a small hole [c. 1/4 inch] to
give a better stream can help. Drill off center and rotate pipe
to make the 1-1/2 hole. with a smaller pipe.

A star drill or rotohammer [rental] should get you through the
foundation with little to no problems. [Try to miss the rebar]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about

15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge

water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Google Grundomat Mole

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

The make something called a dirt auger, for post holes, plants, etc. The
bits look like big-assed forstner bits, from about 2-3" diam to 12"+. An
adapter to a hefty 1/2" or 3/4" drill, with home-made extensions should do
it.
You can mebbe rent one of these, or buy one proly for the rental fee from
HF.

Unka's idea is really neat, soil type permitting.

Another possibility is a plumbing snake, with the wire contained in a narrow
pipe, with the spade bit just outside the pipe end.
1/2" pipe with couplings (or whatever ID is required for the snake wire)
should do it.
There is a snake called the Electric Eel, which has like 1" wire, in 8 foot
sections, is super super strong. Rents here in Nyawk for $80/day. This
could do it with ease -- this thing could go through asphalt, mebbe even
cinder block, with the right tip. You would still need to contain the wire,
pvc would do.

--

Mr. PV'd

Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All the standard shallow well drive point accessories will work like a
charm. You get a drive point, 5' sections of 2" pipe, and a drive cap.
Available at places like Tractor Supply and similar.

If you don't want to go quite that high end, you can make a water jet:
Take a suitable chunk of 1-1/2" galvanized pipe, put a coupling and an
plug with a 1/4" hole drilled in the end. On the other end, put a 'T'
and a drive cap. Hook the leg of the 'T; to a hose, start pounding
gently. Makes a mess, MUCH better to do this from the ditch side.

If your soil is not to rocky, just use a 'spoon' shovel. Take a chunk of
1-1/2" pipe about 2' long, make a very long diagonal cut so there is
just a sharp edge on the far end, weld on a chunk of rebar for a handle.
jam it in the dirt a few times, rotating between hits. Pull it out and
dump the dirt. Repeat as necessary. Goes fairly quickly.

Pirateer guy wrote:
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:37:38 -0000, the infamous "Andrew Mawson"
scrawled the following:

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about

15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge

water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Google Grundomat Mole

That's similar to the little guy they used to put in my natural gas
line, but it didn't have the rotating head.

They dug a shallow foxhole at the house, sent the little guy out to
the street, and had to dig down almost 4' to find him. Oops, they
didn't send him quite straight through the rocky old river-bottom. g

(That's fun technology. Some rental yards have them now, Dan.)

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

he..he.. I picked up one on ebay a few months back - 45mm diameter -
runs off my big 140cfm air compressor. I need to pull various pipes
and cables across my site, but yet to use it in anger.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:00:33 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

what sort of ground is it? Sandy? Hard pan? Loam

if its half way soft such as sand, a sledge hammer works well enough.
Drive the pipe with a cap on the end. Using 5' lenghs or shorter is
better.

If you have someway to capture the water, you can jet a hole using the
pipe, a pump and a homemade nozzle. If the ground is not hardpan..this
is very quick, but the first 5 feet or more will have water running back
along the hole to the starting point so you need to catch it before you
flood the basement..

Id say it would be better to start at the ditch end, and jet it
towards the basement. You will have to dig a hole at the basement wall
outside to determine where to punch through the wall material when the
jet reaches the wall.

That way the water stays outside.

You can use 3.4" pipe and a garden hose, ream the hole multiple times,
which enlarges the hole, softens the ground around it and then slide in
or easily drive in the larger pipe.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CALL BLUE STAKE

Do not forget to call Blue Stake 1st. yes, even opn your own property.
Lots of states have statutes making your responsible for all damages if you
do not.

Any number of boring machines may do he job. Water boring if practical is
the least likely to cause damage to other utilities,drainages, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Do not forget to call Blue Stake 1st. yes, even opn your own property.
Lots of states have statutes making your responsible for all damages if you
do not.

Any number of boring machines may do he job. Water boring if practical is
the least likely to cause damage to other utilities,drainages, etc.

Are we talking about "Miss Dig"?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:00:33 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

what sort of ground is it? Sandy? Hard pan? Loam

if its half way soft such as sand, a sledge hammer works well enough.
Drive the pipe with a cap on the end. Using 5' lenghs or shorter is
better.

This is actually not a bad idea, in the right medium.
However, I would not put a cap on the end of the pipe, I would put a
coupling and a nipple, the front edge of the coupling ground sharp.

This way, the dirt as some place to go, making the sledging much easier.
When done, you can just shove the core of dirt out and clean, or use this
pipe as a sleeve/conduit for the actual water pipe.
Or water-pressurize the core out.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:51:26 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

he..he.. I picked up one on ebay a few months back - 45mm diameter -
runs off my big 140cfm air compressor. I need to pull various pipes
and cables across my site, but yet to use it in anger.

AWEM

Might have some work for it in about three years time for the next phase of
building/three phase installation...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Helped the neighbor bore several holes under the street for utilities. Used
a rig that
he got at the local tool rent place.

Big Milwaukee drill, powered through a GFI box. The drill drove an adapter
that had
a rotary coupling on it to accept a water hose. Drill stem was sections of
3/4"
black pipe, driving a spade bit. I think the largest we did was 4"+.
Easier than
you would think---turn on water, fire up drill, push. Add more pipe as
needed. We
would get across the 30 ft street in an hour or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Do not forget to call Blue Stake 1st. yes, even opn your own property.
Lots of states have statutes making your responsible for all damages if
you
do not.

Any number of boring machines may do he job. Water boring if practical is
the least likely to cause damage to other utilities,drainages, etc.

Are we talking about "Miss Dig"?

Out west just about everybody uses Blue Stake. Sounds like Miss Dig may be
the same kind of agency.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-01, Bob L wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Do not forget to call Blue Stake 1st. yes, even opn your own property.
Lots of states have statutes making your responsible for all damages if
you
do not.

Any number of boring machines may do he job. Water boring if practical is
the least likely to cause damage to other utilities,drainages, etc.

Are we talking about "Miss Dig"?

Out west just about everybody uses Blue Stake. Sounds like Miss Dig may be
the same kind of agency.

And in the Washington DC vicinity, it is "MISS UTILITY" that you
call.

They don't always get it marked *right*, but if they mark it and
you hit something following their markings, it is *their* fault, not
yours. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pirateer guy" Dan@ wrote in message
I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

Jack it. Google pipe jacking. It's especially easy if you can brace the
hydraulic or mechanical jack from the opposite basement wall. Just push a
pipe through in short sections. Same as Gunner's idea but he's young and
likes all that manual labor. I'm old and I just want to move a handle on a
hydraulic valve. I've seen it done with a log splitter for power.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

he..he.. I picked up one on ebay a few months back - 45mm

diameter -
runs off my big 140cfm air compressor. I need to pull various pipes
and cables across my site, but yet to use it in anger.

AWEM

Might have some work for it in about three years time for the next

phase of
building/three phase installation...

Mark Rand
RTFM

No problem Mark - PM me

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-01-01, Bob L wrote:
"Wes" wrote...
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

Do not forget to call Blue Stake 1st. yes, even opn your own property.
Lots of states have statutes making your responsible for all damages if
you do not.

Any number of boring machines may do he job. Water boring if practical is
the least likely to cause damage to other utilities,drainages, etc.

Are we talking about "Miss Dig"?

Out west just about everybody uses Blue Stake. Sounds like Miss Dig may be
the same kind of agency.

And in the Washington DC vicinity, it is "MISS UTILITY" that you call.

They don't always get it marked *right*, but if they mark it and
you hit something following their markings, it is *their* fault, not
yours. :-)

Every state calls their underground utilities locating services
something different. But you ALWAYS call for a lookup. Even if you
are going to hand-dig around the utility lines, you still need to know
where they are.

Because you don't want a $100K bill for hitting that trunk telephone
cable, or $10M when you hit the oil pipeline and the burning oil flood
you started burns down three houses and a dozen cars...

Or worse, you don't want to be going to funerals when someone bores
into a 15KV power feeder that "isn't there". DAMHIKT to the max.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Because you don't want a $100K bill for hitting that trunk telephone
cable, or $10M when you hit the oil pipeline and the burning oil flood
you started burns down three houses and a dozen cars...

Or worse, you don't want to be going to funerals when someone bores
into a 15KV power feeder that "isn't there". DAMHIKT to the max.

Ah, I remember a crew doing test wells around the plant. I was the enviromental contact
so I got to babysit them.

I walked them around the site, pointed out the underground 14.4Kv line, the main water
line and where we had NG gas lines coming in. Seems like that stuff should have already
been flagged by calling ahead.

Anyway, they did their drilling and at one point, a very agitated driller ran me down to
look at a hole they were drilling. They pulled up something black and round and acted
like it was my error that they drilled there.

I took a look, and saw Gates before I got that close and yanked on it. Well, they figured
out what it was after I ripped it out of the ground. Used to be a underground storage
tank there. Some one dumped some trash in the hole in the past.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew you guys would have the
answers.
I am a little concerned about using too much water inside. It's in a
small craw space so it would flood easy, and it's a dirt floor. Going
from the ditch would work, but then I'd have to remove the flowerbed
along the house. It's brick with a footer so that would be a huge
project.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 1, 9:06*pm, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew you guys would have the
answers.
I am a little concerned about using too much water inside. It's in a
small craw space so it would flood easy, and it's a dirt floor. Going
from the ditch would work, but then I'd have to remove the flowerbed
along the house. It's brick with a footer so that would be a huge
project.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again

Yeah good luck. I did a ~3 dia bore from my basement to my well to my
well house. It was about 21' feet away and about 4' below grade.
Several trees were in the way, so I didn't want to dig from the
surface. My problem was the 3/4" pipe from the well was rusting out
and needed replacement with a larger line. I made a drill head from a
2" pipe coupling by welding some scrap 1/2 tool steel cutter stock at
90 degree intervals around the perimeter. I used 2" pipe in 4'
lengths with couplings to drive the cutter. Another coupling with a
old U joint welded to the end was used to couple a mag base Milwaukee
3/4" electric drill motor to turn the pipe. This "rig" was set on a
garden wagon and pushed into a hole made thru the basement wall. The
existing 3/4" pipe was used to guide the cutter head and to feed some
water to clear the cuttings. Went thru some small rocks and abandoned
Bx cable, (from an old well power feed). All in all it worked pretty
good, and no damage to the trees. A rental auger unit was available
for $250/day, but I was worried about hitting the old cable and rocks
damaging a rental unit and losing my deposit, so I made up my own
setup. There are some photos of the rig, looks at one of my older
posts.

Is ground cable needed [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 14th 07 12:53 AM
Ground level flooring advice needed elanamig Home Repair 22 October 14th 06 02:47 PM
I need an advice for drilling Carlos Metalworking 11 February 19th 06 06:53 AM
drilling advice Ian Hooksem UK diy 14 May 28th 05 03:36 PM
re drilling advice Ian Hooksem UK diy 4 May 28th 05 01:09 PM