Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carlos

Default I need an advice for drilling

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Carlos wrote:

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

I think you will have to have arms like Popeye the sailor, and that you
will still regret ever starting to do a job like that with a hand held
drill.

Rent a mag base drill, preferably one with a power feed.

Then watch the machine work for you, instead of vise versa.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Polymer Man

Yeah, holy Christ. That would be a difficult hole with a moderately
sized drill press. Or a milling machine for that matter.

I would think you would have to predrill the hole for web clearance,
perhaps 3/8", then drill the 1 1/2" hole.

You could probably do a few without a magnetic base drill, but 300?
You're nuts. Your wrists will be ruined

485 RPM sounds fast for that diameter. I expect it would chatter and
get hot, reducing useful drill life between sharpening to perhaps a few
dozen.

If it were me, I'd want to use a 40 amp plasma cutter and a fixture.
Then I'd ream it out to size with a tapered reamer. I'd guess 300 would
take about a day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

Hole saws will work, but your tool speed is a little too high. I
recently drilled a a few 1 1/2" holes in 1" plate at 385 rpms, but this
is too high a speed, too, for good tool life. Do NOT try to do this in
"hand-held" mode!! I guarantee that you will regret it. And, if you
can't swim, (the bridge) you may test your life insurance. At a
minumum. rig some kind of a 3 or 4 foot bar to the drill, that is
connected to an immoveable abject on one end.

I have a whole list of horror stories about people who tried to
hand-hold a drill while drilling large holes.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------

Carlos wrote:

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

A friend of mine started down this path once, and eventually had the holes
torch cut. That worked out very well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

As far as I know the Hilti TE 56 drill is a hammer drill only
capable of "hammer and rotate" and "hammer only". As such, it
would be totally unacceptable for the task at hand.

As others have said, this sounds like a job for a magnetic base
drill with a roto broach bit similar to:
http://www.ercolina-usa.com/durabore.htm

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Carlos" wrote in message
ups.com...
i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use
the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This
equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I
could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of
this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Carlos wrote:

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

485 rpm is too fast for this size hole, especially handheld.

Either hire or buy a Rota-Broach type machine.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Carlos wrote:

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

I would get a magnetic drill with a carbide hole saw.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

John wrote:
I would get a magnetic drill with a carbide hole saw.

--What he said, but I'd favor using a Rotabroach and don't forget a
good lubricant, too.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Pasquale Gumbo?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

"Carlos" wrote in message
ups.com...
i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

As others have said... Rent a magnetic base drill or something similar that
can be fastened down. Use Rotabroach tooling... Hougen makes some of the
best. A standard bit will probably not work for you...

Use HSS tooling and run slower. As slow as you can get it to rotate with
some sort of coolant if you can. That is a lot of holes and the tooling -
although not a fortune - will last longer and treat you and the machine
better if run at a lower RPM with coolant.

Not sure if you can use oil in that location due to the water... But an
oil-based coolant would be best in this case IMHO.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Mine is hammer and drill or drill. Wish it were hammer only as well.
For three modes maybe. Then in a pinch I could use it to gouge out with a scoop
of hard earth or packed sand..

Such is life. Nice drill - stops when the trigger is let go.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

DanG wrote:
As far as I know the Hilti TE 56 drill is a hammer drill only
capable of "hammer and rotate" and "hammer only". As such, it
would be totally unacceptable for the task at hand.

As others have said, this sounds like a job for a magnetic base
drill with a roto broach bit similar to:
http://www.ercolina-usa.com/durabore.htm

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Carlos" wrote in message
ups.com...

i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use
the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This
equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I
could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of
this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Did a registered engineer sign off on this project? You didn't specify
any details, but holes like that may dangerously weaken the structure.
Just my professional reaction to your proposition.
Bugs