Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default I need an advice for drilling

"Carlos" wrote in message
ups.com...
i need to do 300 holes on a 5/15" steel plate ( over girders on a
bridge). The diameter of these holes is 1 1/2". I'd like to use the
equipment that i have; the combohammer TE-56 from Hilti. This equipment
is design to work drilling holes on concrete, but i think I could used
it for drill over this steel plate (ASTM -A36) too. The speed of this
equipment is 485 RPM. What do you think?

As others have said... Rent a magnetic base drill or something similar that
can be fastened down. Use Rotabroach tooling... Hougen makes some of the
best. A standard bit will probably not work for you...

Use HSS tooling and run slower. As slow as you can get it to rotate with
some sort of coolant if you can. That is a lot of holes and the tooling -
although not a fortune - will last longer and treat you and the machine
better if run at a lower RPM with coolant.

Not sure if you can use oil in that location due to the water... But an
oil-based coolant would be best in this case IMHO.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R