Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice needed. Drilling through the ground

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:00:33 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

what sort of ground is it? Sandy? Hard pan? Loam

if its half way soft such as sand, a sledge hammer works well enough.
Drive the pipe with a cap on the end. Using 5' lenghs or shorter is
better.

If you have someway to capture the water, you can jet a hole using the
pipe, a pump and a homemade nozzle. If the ground is not hardpan..this
is very quick, but the first 5 feet or more will have water running back
along the hole to the starting point so you need to catch it before you
flood the basement..

Id say it would be better to start at the ditch end, and jet it
towards the basement. You will have to dig a hole at the basement wall
outside to determine where to punch through the wall material when the
jet reaches the wall.

That way the water stays outside.

You can use 3.4" pipe and a garden hose, ream the hole multiple times,
which enlarges the hole, softens the ground around it and then slide in
or easily drive in the larger pipe.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""