Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Advice needed. Drilling through the ground

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:00:33 GMT, Dan@ (Pirateer guy) wrote:

I need to drill a hole from my basement to the drainage ditch about 15
feet. I want to run a 1 1/2" pipe for my sump pump to discharge water
from the basement to the ditch.
How can I drill a hole through the ground? Don't want to dig up the
drive way.
An ideas?

One way if you have city water [or a good pump] available (and no
rocks) is to pump water through a pipe to wash the dirt out in
front of it. The dirt and water will flush back around the pipe.
Several short sections of pipe are generally easier to handle. A
cap on the end of the pipe with a small hole [c. 1/4 inch] to
give a better stream can help. Drill off center and rotate pipe
to make the 1-1/2 hole. with a smaller pipe.

A star drill or rotohammer [rental] should get you through the
foundation with little to no problems. [Try to miss the rebar]