Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Strands drill press

I am looking for information on a Strands MPB-54 drill press. I
recently found one in the basement of my fathers house and have begun
to refurbish it.
If anyone has any experience with one of these I would greatly
appreciate any insight.
The press was purchased at an auction and is a world war II relic. It
is overall in pretty good shape, there seems to be only one blown
bearing and everything else looks to be pretty well maintained. The
wiring will eventually become an issue, it is a 3-phase 240 and my
plan is to connect to a phase-o-matic converter to solve this issue.
Although I am open to suggestions.
Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated.
I also have some pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard"
and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary. A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will
start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the rated HP of the drill's
motor.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
I am looking for information on a Strands MPB-54 drill press. I
recently found one in the basement of my fathers house and have begun
to refurbish it.
If anyone has any experience with one of these I would greatly
appreciate any insight.
The press was purchased at an auction and is a world war II relic. It
is overall in pretty good shape, there seems to be only one blown
bearing and everything else looks to be pretty well maintained. The
wiring will eventually become an issue, it is a 3-phase 240 and my
plan is to connect to a phase-o-matic converter to solve this issue.
Although I am open to suggestions.
Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated.
I also have some pics if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:01:31 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard"
and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary. A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will
start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the rated HP of the drill's
motor.

Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

let me second the VFD statement - you get soft start and fully vairable
speed and you don't have the noise of a rotary converter. the static
converter will work as well, but I can't imagine paying the price for a
phase-o-matic - it's just a capacitor and two relays, total parts cost is
about $15 - there are schematics on the web.

by the way, I have a VFD that would be suitable if you are interested (find
me via www.wbnoble.com)

wrote:

Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for
replacement. They are "standard"
and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary.
A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will
start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the
rated HP of the drill's
motor.

Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl sez:

"Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press."

Not so better yet, IMO! The drill press may already have variable speed. Besides, I would think
the OP would rather use it in its original configuration, whether variable or belted speed control.
My sugestion was based on the fact the OP might want to later get more 3-phase machines. A single
VFD will run only a single 3-phase machine, whereas a rotrary phase converter will "run" several
machines at the same time. My suggestion is to start with a static phase converter. Later if he is
overtaken with ambition, (likely) the static phase converter can be used to start the idler motor
part of a rotary phase converter and run several machines.

Bob Swinney

PS: I am using a Phase-O-Matic to start the 7-1/2 HP idler motor of my voltage balanced RPC. In
turn I am able to run a 2 HP lathe and 3 HP mill --- both at the same time if desired.

wrote:

Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard"
and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary. A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will
start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the rated HP of the drill's
motor.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Swinney wrote:
Karl sez:

"Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press."

Not so better yet, IMO! The drill press may already have variable speed. Besides, I would think
the OP would rather use it in its original configuration, ...

Luddite! G Excused only on the "may already have variable speed" clause.

Seriously, I would never be without a VFD on a drill press. It is SO
convenient. A really good example: drill a tap hole at some dialed-in
speed, change the bit for a tap, dial in the tap speed, & tap. I have a
60 rpm to 1440 rpm range at the twist of a dial. Sweet!!

And not that expensive on eBay. VFD's have to be one the of the best
bargains around. Right up there with the HF angle grinder in terms of
bang-for-the-buck.

Don't talk to ME about static phase converters G,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 1:17*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Robert Swinney wrote:
Karl sez:

[...]

I'll have to agree with you. I bought one to run a 3 phase mill.
After reading the installation manual cover to cover, twice, I was
(am) in awe at the things it will do. And if I correctly understood
the specs, it is 95% efficient. For me it makes lack of 3 phase
service a total non-issue. V
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Englehardt sez: "Don't talk to ME about static phase converters G"

Ok, I won't but: A static phase converter might be better for a very old drill press than a VFD.
Reason being that VFDs can generate some pretty hefty short duration voltage spikes. The old
motor's varnish and insulation will be inferior to that on newer motors insulated with polyamide.
Result: Possible insulation breakdown from VFD voltage spikes and a ruined motor. Thus, my advice
to get a static converter. Relatively low cost and the advantage of being able to later use it for
a RPC starter.
A static converter would drive the drill press to aprox. 2/3 of rated HP; quite likely much more
than it would ever be called upon to deliver in a home shop.

Bob Swinney

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...
Robert Swinney wrote:
Karl sez:

"Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press."

Not so better yet, IMO! The drill press may already have variable speed. Besides, I would think
the OP would rather use it in its original configuration, ...

Luddite! G Excused only on the "may already have variable speed" clause.

Seriously, I would never be without a VFD on a drill press. It is SO
convenient. A really good example: drill a tap hole at some dialed-in
speed, change the bit for a tap, dial in the tap speed, & tap. I have a
60 rpm to 1440 rpm range at the twist of a dial. Sweet!!

And not that expensive on eBay. VFD's have to be one the of the best
bargains around. Right up there with the HF angle grinder in terms of
bang-for-the-buck.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you everyone for the input.

Just to give you all a little more information, my long term goal is
to have 3-phase 240 available for more than one machine at a time,
however, for the short term I need to be able to check my mechanical
repairs. I just don't want to be governed by the short-sighted
outlook and I only want to go down this road once.

Since the machine is an antique as well as functional I would like to
maintain as much of the original design as possible. So if anyone has
any experience with this particular manufacturer or model I would
really like to know where to get replacement components. There were
some "Custom" modifications done to the wiring, where the fwd/rev/off
switch was there is now a junction box, so the only options are "On"
or unplugged. I would like to replace this with the original switch
or at least a reasonable facsimile.

The motor is a 1/1.2 hp at 4.2A, and the speed is variable from
1710-3450 with spindle speeds of 220/760 - 440/1510.
My main concern with the wiring is age and cracking when I remove the
current junction box and I don't want to have to do any splicing
inside the housing, my first thought would be to use an aerosol
electrical insualtor on all loose wires prior to removal.

If anyone has access to a manual on this press, or could point me in
the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Press the bearing out and take it to a bearing supply house for replacement. They are "standard"
and you should have no problems dupeing bearings and belts as necessary. A Phase-O-Matic 'TM' will
start and run your motor quite nicely. Just be sure to buy one for the rated HP of the drill's
motor.

Better yet, get a VFD for your drill press. About the same cost, but
you get variable speed. A very handy addition to any drill press.

Karl

Seconded.

Is that Strands a post drill?

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Meant to include this in the last post:
http://picasaweb.google.com/MattBarra/MillDrill#

Matt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Not so better yet, IMO! The drill press may already have variable speed. Besides, I would think
the OP would rather use it in its original configuration, whether variable or belted speed control.
My sugestion was based on the fact the OP might want to later get more 3-phase machines. A single
VFD will run only a single 3-phase machine, whereas a rotrary phase converter will "run" several
machines at the same time. My suggestion is to start with a static phase converter. Later if he is
overtaken with ambition, (likely) the static phase converter can be used to start the idler motor
part of a rotary phase converter and run several machines.

I was lucky enough to have an uncle that was servicing porta potties at various sites,
including an oil rig. He saw a 5HP rotophase in a dumpster and fished it out.

Neither of us had a use for it but he had another 3 pha motor and I had a fairly empty
garage with power. We tested it out and I stored it.

Fast forward a number of years, bought a bridgeport. Hook up rotophase, I'm making chips.

Well I got the bug, later that year, bought a Clausing 6903 with a 3 HP motor, I'm able to
run both!

Having said that, I'd love to have a vfd for each machine. An idling RPC makes noise and
I like my peace and quiet. Being able to slow down lathe for threading to a shoulder or
making reversing a tap on the bp would be sweet.

So Bob has it nailed. RPC to start, VFD if it is worth it to you.

Wes