Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill Press or Drill/Mill Machine

Since there are no places near me that sell used machines of the type I
need, it looks as though I'll have to gamble on ordering something new
over the internet.

At the most extreme, I'll need to be able to drill 1-1/2" holes through
1/4" thick stainless steel, space and weight are a big issue, to the
best of my abilities I've narrowed the choices down to a Grizzly G7943
drill press and a Mini Mill/Drill(if I can find a suitable one).

Since I'll need to make parts of various shapes and sizes I thought
that a mill/drill might be a plausible option. But I've discovered that
there may be books that show how to do milling on a drill press with
the proper jigs and attachments, so I may just stick with that idea.

Is there anyone here that has had a lot of experience with using a
drill press as a milling machine? If so, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Owens

Darren;
I'm sure I'll be corrected by many people, but my mini mill is not
at its best trying to drill over 1/2 inch. You can use a boring head to make
a hole that big, but you would be better off with a larger machine. You are
in the NYC area, and there a lot of used equipment dealers around there. Buy
a used drill press for drilling holes, and a used mill for milling.

gary

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Donnie Barnes

On Sat, 17 Dec, wrote:
[...]

I'd suggest using the Google Groups search:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

Punch in this group and then probably "drill mill/drill" or something
similar. There have been a ton of threads on this topic here already.

To summarize, if you plan to mill at all, get a mill/drill. I've only been
on this group a short while, but I've seen several threads already on this
topic and nobody has had anything good to say about using a drill press as
a mill. They just aren't made for the lateral loads you'll see.

If you're interested in mini-mills, you may want to check out the info
available at:

http://www.mini-lathe.com

(Yes, I know it says lathe, but the popular mini-lathe is made by the same
company that makes a popular mini-mill and there is info on both there.
There are also several Yahoo! groups specifically for those
machines..."minimill" and "GrizHFMinimill" are two of them for the small
mills.)

--Donnie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

wrote:
Since there are no places near me that sell used machines of the type I
need, it looks as though I'll have to gamble on ordering something new
over the internet.

At the most extreme, I'll need to be able to drill 1-1/2" holes through
1/4" thick stainless steel, space and weight are a big issue, to the
best of my abilities I've narrowed the choices down to a Grizzly G7943
drill press and a Mini Mill/Drill(if I can find a suitable one).

Since I'll need to make parts of various shapes and sizes I thought
that a mill/drill might be a plausible option. But I've discovered that
there may be books that show how to do milling on a drill press with
the proper jigs and attachments, so I may just stick with that idea.

I hope such books do not exist. I asked the same question not long ago,
and quickly learned that drill presses are not designed to take the
transverse loads of milling. Further, taper mounted chucks are not
designed for transverse loads, and bad things happen (picture sharp
object flying around your shop) when they are subjected to them.

Grizzly is not at the top of my list, but this group is a great source
of recommendations. Ask about square vs. round columns; also look at
some of the smaller knee mills just in case.

IMHO, you will want an ER (probably 32) collet chuck and collets, all
the more so if you get a round column mill-drill. You will also want a
good chuck for some drill bits and non-round shanks on hole saws, etc.
Note that dials come in 0.1 and 0.125 inch/rev; I prefer 0.1, though I
would also find the 0.2 inch/turn of larger mills to be fine. Users of
0.125 dials assure me that one adapts, but it's a process I would rather
skip unless something like a longer travel comes with it.

I considered a mini mill but went with what amounts to a Rong Fu 31.
Use google groups to read archives of this group. The smart answers to
my dumb questions will teach you a lot. Mill-drills are great as long
as you know what you are buying.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

But I've discovered that there may be books that show how to do milling on
a drill press with the proper jigs and attachments, so I may just stick
with that idea.

A drill press is a drill press is a drill press.
You can't mill on it. Forget it.
OK, you _can_ mill on a DP, but you won't repeat that abuse after having
seen the result, ruined work pieces, ruined mills, ruined the DP, wasted
money and waisted time.

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

Use a hole-saw to make 1.5" holes in .25 stainless and use low speed but
firm downpull and a good lubricant. Or better yet, get a trepanning tool
because hole-saws are primarily for softer materials such as wood and
plastics. The trepanning tool may cost as much as a drill press though! And
make sure to sandwich the plate so when the final chip is cut away you won't
lose a hand as the piece picks up the same speed as the spindle.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks. I'll combine the important parts and reply in one post...

You are in the NYC area, and there a lot of used equipment dealers around there.

There are? Can someone name one?

Buy a used drill press for drilling holes, and a used mill for milling.

Unfortunately space will not allow for that. And anything approaching
200lbs would be too much. :-(

I hope such books do not exist.

Too late. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569662926

I considered a mini mill but went with what amounts to a Rong Fu 31.

Yeah, I was actually looking at a couple on Ebay. I'd try for this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7572905365, but is
is too heavy, and the seller has zero feedback anyway.

I'd suggest using the Google Groups search:

I've already seen all that. And there was nothing *specific* enough to
clue mee in as far as what machine would meet my needs.

To summarize, if you plan to mill at all, get a mill/drill. I've only been on this group a short while, but I've seen several threads already on this topic and nobody has had anything good to say about using a drill press as a mill. They just aren't made for the lateral loads you'll see.

Yes, I read all that. But I was thinking of using the drill press as a
mill on materials like Delrin and nylon(in addition to the more
conventional drilling of metals, like that stainless steel I
mentioned).

If you're interested in mini-mills, you may want to check out the info available at: http://www.mini-lathe.com

Yeah, I was at http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm,
and I found little that would let me know if these machines were
powerful enough for my stated purpose.(Drilling a 1-1/2" hole through a
1/4" thick stainless steel).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Grey

wrote in message
oups.com...
At the most extreme, I'll need to be able to drill 1-1/2" holes through
1/4" thick stainless steel, space and weight are a big issue, to the
best of my abilities I've narrowed the choices down to a Grizzly G7943
drill press and a Mini Mill/Drill(if I can find a suitable one).

I have this model drill press. I bought it because it went down to 140 RPM
which allows me to drill larger holes than with most drill presses in its
size and price range. Considering its cost, I've been happy with it
generally, although the belts that came with it are very tight and because
of that, is a major PITA to change speeds.

Since I'll need to make parts of various shapes and sizes I thought
that a mill/drill might be a plausible option. But I've discovered that
there may be books that show how to do milling on a drill press with
the proper jigs and attachments, so I may just stick with that idea.

I think you'll be sorely disappointed with using any drill press as a mill.
I had a RF31 type mill/drill that was a far better drill press than the
Grizzly would be as a mill. If you needed to mill and drill on one machine,
I'd search for a used mill/drill of the appropriate size. I'd think you'd
want an RF31 or larger if you're going to drill 1.5" holes. I don't
remember what the lowest spindle speed is on the RF31...

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

I hope such books do not exist.

Too late. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7569662926

At least the author of that book is recognized for his contributions to
HSEs: Rudy Kouhoupt

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 17 Dec 2005 09:19:32 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Darren..to drill or saw a hole that big in Stainless, takes a solid
heavy machine. You need a lot of downward pressure to cut/drill
stainless, else it work hardens in a heartbeat. Im not sure there is
ANY mill/drill out there that is capable of doing this on any regular
basis.

Id even think hard about doing this on a Bridgeport, unless you use a
hole saw.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know that I'd totally agree. I lived with an HF mill-drill for
several years before I got my Bridgeport. While the BP is several boxcars
more accurate and more convenient to operate, there isn't a whole lot of
difference in the power of the two machines.

That being said, there are a couple other angles here. First, I cringe when
people simply say, "stainless." Stainless is a term that covers a number of
alloys, some of which machine nicely, and some of which machine about like a
concrete block. I once turned an 7 1/2" flywheel out of a piece of
stainless. I chucked a slice of 8" round in my lathe and shoved a HSS tool
into it... and watched the end get sliced off the tool. Carbide tools cut
it nicely, but, if I pushed it a little too hard and stalled the lathe, I'd
snap the edge off the tool. And this was an alloy (it's been a few years
and I forget which) that was supposed to machine easily.

And then, the OP put a limit of 200 lbs on the machine. I tend to doubt
that anything weighing close to that will have either the rigidity or the
power to drive a 1 1/2 inch drill through a piece of even the more easily
machined stainless alloys.

Bottom line: A 1 1/2 inch hole in a piece of stainless is not a trivial
machining task.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry Foster wrote:
[...]

Ok. I'm starting to get that impression. Will it make a difference if I
get a drill with twice as much horse power as the drill I
mentioned?(ie: Grizzly G7948). Though that obviously means the drill
cannot be a bench top.

As for the stainless, I'm obviously going to have to be flexible at
this point, but it'll be between 303, 304, 316 & 316L.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Why not use a boring setup - and circle cut it out.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 17 Dec 2005 17:10:33 -0800, wrote:

Jerry Foster wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On 17 Dec 2005 09:19:32 -0800,
wrote:

[...]

Old machinists mantra to keep in mind...

304, shes a whore
303, shes for me.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. I'll combine the important parts and reply in one post...

You are in the NYC area, and there a lot of used equipment dealers around
there.

There are? Can someone name one?

Fred Eisner? I think that he sells on Ebay as:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZimsteamer21

and you can probably email him from there.

snip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

If you are even thinking of a mill, get a mill. 200 pounds won't cut it.
You need slow speed as much or more than you need high HP.
As others have said, use a hole saw for the 1 1/2" holes. I just
recently had to make a number of 1 9/16" holes in 1" mild steel plate.
I bought an "Agressor" brand 1 1/2" hole saw and ran it at the slowest
speed I have on my old US machine tool vertical mill (350 rpm.)--(Lot's
of lube). It took 1 1/2 minutes per hole. In my case, I had to bore
the hole the rest of the way to get to 1 9/16" within a few thou.
Consider this decision to be a major big deal on your part and figure
out a way to solve the 200 pound max. problem. Hire riggers if
needed. Get a lot of friends. Take the thing apart, move the pieces
and put it back together (as others have said).

Pete Stanaitis
----------------------------------

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Yes, a 1.5" hole in SS would be a heavy job even for a BP. You might
consider one of the 'Rotabroach' type annular cutters. These require a
lot less power to 'drill' a hole.

Dan Mitchell
============
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Yes, a 1.5" hole in SS would be a heavy job even for a BP. You might
consider one of the 'Rotabroach' type annular cutters. These require a lot
less power to 'drill' a hole.

Ditto that. The Rotabroach tooling works like a charm as long as you use
plenty of coolant. Otherwise, you can easily get lulled into a false sense
of security with them and burn 'em out.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel A. Mitchell

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Yes, a 1.5" hole in SS would be a heavy job even for a BP. You might
consider one of the 'Rotabroach' type annular cutters. These require a lot
less power to 'drill' a hole.

Ditto that. The Rotabroach tooling works like a charm as long as you use
plenty of coolant. Otherwise, you can easily get lulled into a false sense
of security with them and burn 'em out.

Yup! And back them out an clear them frequently when drilling deep
holes, as the small flutes tend to clog easily.

On the plus side, they leave a very round hole with a good interior
finish. Almost as good as reaming. Hole size regulation isn't too good,
but likely as good as with a drill. You can always ream or bore after if
a better hole is needed.

If all you need is a decent large hole, and all you have is a small
machine, they're an excellent option.

Plus, you end up with all those nice little round plugs left over to
make something else out of! :-)

Dan Mitchell
============

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

[...]

I did win a Rotabroach on Ebay yesterday.(I'd just have to find out if
any 1-7/16" cutters are available for it.

All this talk about stainless steel is making me think again about
using Delrin instead. It would be much easier to drill or mill out
those little bearing cups in Delrin, and I would think that the
bearings would roll in Delrin with less friction than in stainless
steel. The Delrin may not last as long, but the bearings themselves
would actually last longer, and I don't think I'd need to grease them.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Yes, a 1.5" hole in SS would be a heavy job even for a BP. You might
consider one of the 'Rotabroach' type annular cutters. These require a lot
less power to 'drill' a hole.

Ditto that. The Rotabroach tooling works like a charm as long as you use
plenty of coolant. Otherwise, you can easily get lulled into a false sense
of security with them and burn 'em out.

Yup! And back them out an clear them frequently when drilling deep
holes, as the small flutes tend to clog easily.

But wouldn't that allwo work hardening?

On the plus side, they leave a very round hole with a good interior
finish. Almost as good as reaming. Hole size regulation isn't too good,
but likely as good as with a drill. You can always ream or bore after if
a better hole is needed.

Again, would the area to be bored be work hardened?

If all you need is a decent large hole, and all you have is a small
machine, they're an excellent option.

The Rotabroach I have allow for 1-3/8" diameter holes.