Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Troy Bilt Tiller HH60 engine replacement?

I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

What's a tiller and how does it work?

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

Congratulations on owning a Harbor Freight Store. Maybe someone can
help you determine if it will work.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

I'm sorry your shaft is only 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. That must make
all functions difficult.

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Not until you put gas in the tank

Welcome back, stryped. Haven't heard from you since May!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Stryped,
Mfgsupply.com says they have a rod for it
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/23-6768.html?id=tRsGLTbp

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 12:21*am, "Paul" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, I will check into that. I called at least half a dozen people
and they said the part was discontinued.

Is this hard to replace? Will i need to replace the rings too?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in JEST

Is this hard to replace? Will i need to replace the rings too?

Busting a con-rod leaves all sorts of speculation going on about what
you'll find inside.

You might end up trashing the whole engine. You might get away with
just the rod, wrist pin, and bearings. You WILL need new bearings.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 7:29*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in JEST

Is this hard to replace? Will i need to replace the rings too?

Busting a con-rod leaves all sorts of speculation going on about what
you'll find inside.

You might end up trashing the whole engine. *You might get away with
just the rod, wrist pin, and bearings. *You WILL need new bearings.

LLoyd

New rod bearings you mean?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in news:7a571bf8-6f82-
:
New rod bearings you mean?

No. New bearings for your car's front wheels.

Better replace the rod bearings in your car, too.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
sal sal is offline

Don,t fool around with that old engine pick up an small Honda or equivalent
and adapt it to your tiller . You can always find something to adapt the
sprocket to tiller drive.

sal

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:55:16 -0600, "sal" wrote:
"stryped" wrote...

I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine online at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Don't fool around with that old engine pick up an small Honda or equivalent
and adapt it to your tiller . You can always find something to adapt the
sprocket to tiller drive.

I have to agree with Sal. If you aren't ready to tackle a total
rebuild of your old engine - including sleeving the cylinder if the
busted off rod made a mess of things inside, and deal with going
through the carb, and the ignition (magneto, most likely) and all, get
a fresh engine.

But the Harbor Freight ones worry me like any no-name Chiwanese
engine, you'll go through all the trouble of adapting it and it blows
up three hours later. Honda engines are expensive in comparison, but
it'll probably outlive you.

The things to watch for are the output shaft size, of course that
can be solved by buying new or reworking the output clutch/pulley/
sprocket to the right size hole.

You also need to match the speed range - there are engines with a
6:1 gear reducer on the output of the engine, but it's rather obvious.
They are usually on cement mixers so you only need a small belt drive
to the pinion drive gear.

You could go with a small Hatz Diesel, but they usually run slower
than the average 3,600 RPM of a small gas.

For generators you need a fairly precise constant-speed governor and
a tapered output shaft for direct coupling the generator head, for
other uses a plain air-vane governor works to hold it fairly constant
once you set a speed.

The way the remote throttle controls hook up have to work with the
new engine, and it physically has to fit in the same space including
the fuel tank and exhaust system - you can modify them to fit, but now
it's getting complicated.

Electric start is great - but now you have to find a place to mount
the battery box, and probably fabricate some brackets...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Keep in mind why the rod broke! My bet is 25 years on a roto tiller the
crankshaft rod pin is worn undersize, and the cylinder bore is worn out of
spec, as well as valves and guides too. Also the carburetor throttle shaft
wears to. If you attempt to rebuild this engine look it over well. Most
times they are junk at this point.
As far as mounting another engine, my guess is you have the larger rear tine
Troy Built tiller, not just any engine will bolt up to this frame because of
the drive configuration. You should be able to find an engine without too
much trouble though.
Here is a 6.5 B&S that should work.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...PN=121332-0036

Put the model of your tiller in here and engine that will fit will show up.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...rand=Troy-Bilt

Greg

Troy tiller update on engine blow up stryped[_2_] Metalworking 10 July 22nd 08 02:18 PM
Old troy bilt tiller update stryped[_2_] Metalworking 5 July 15th 08 05:18 AM
Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do. stryped[_2_] Metalworking 20 July 14th 08 05:16 PM
Troy Bilt won't start Steve Home Repair 21 July 6th 07 12:59 PM
Should take better care of my Troy-bilt tiller (long). ** Frank ** Home Repair 2 May 30th 07 03:03 AM