Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Old troy bilt tiller update

Update:

Took spark plug out. The piston is not moving. WIth the tiller in
gear, pulling the recoil starter, the tiller will move. (Meaning I
guess the crank is not snapped in half or soemthing.

I plan on taking the engine out tonight.

By the way, I have a 3.5 horse engine layign around. It was attached
ot a pump at one time. Think this would work? It would probably be
underpowered.

Could I weld the current rod?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
By the way, I have a 3.5 horse engine layign around. It was attached
ot a pump at one time. Think this would work? It would probably be
underpowered.

It would likely be inadequate, even if it fit.

Could I weld the current rod?

The rods that I have broken had disintegrated bottom ends. Yours likely
broke from seizing on the crank journal - it's toast. But a rod
shouldn't be that expensive to replace - get your model number and
Google "Tecumseh parts".

Then tear it down. If there's many other parts broken (unlikely), the
replacement costs can add up quickly. But you have to tear it down to know.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The rods that I have broken had disintegrated bottom ends. Yours likely
broke from seizing on the crank journal - it's toast. But a rod shouldn't
be that expensive to replace - get your model number and Google "Tecumseh
parts".

Then tear it down. If there's many other parts broken (unlikely), the
replacement costs can add up quickly. But you have to tear it down to
know.

I've tried and "lernt the hard way", Tecumseh is a maintenance free product.
When it breaks throw it away. get another. Not made well enough to fix. I
spent 2/3 the cost of a new one on a rebuild, plus three evenings, and then
the damn thing only lasted maybe another 100 hours. Now, Kohler engines are
made to rebuild; I've had good success there.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 11:05*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
The rods that I have broken had disintegrated bottom ends. *Yours likely
broke from seizing on the crank journal - it's toast. *But a rod shouldn't
be that expensive to replace - get your model number and Google "Tecumseh
parts".

Then tear it down. *If there's many other parts broken (unlikely), the
replacement costs can add up quickly. *But you have to tear it down to
know.

I've tried and "lernt the hard way", Tecumseh is a maintenance free product.
When it breaks throw it away. get another. Not made well enough to fix. I
spent 2/3 the cost of a new one on a rebuild, plus three evenings, and then
the damn thing only lasted maybe another 100 hours. Now, Kohler engines are
made to rebuild; I've had good success there.

Karl

Even this engine? Supposedly it is a heavy duty engine that is cast
iron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Consult your local power equipment dealer. They can get you the parts
you need. There is a short block available for most engines like
this. All you do is transfer parts to the new block.

You could have the local power equipment shop do that for you as well.

As long as you can write a check, this is not a problem.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
Update:

Took spark plug out. The piston is not moving. WIth the tiller in
gear, pulling the recoil starter, the tiller will move. (Meaning I
guess the crank is not snapped in half or soemthing.

I plan on taking the engine out tonight.

By the way, I have a 3.5 horse engine layign around. It was attached
ot a pump at one time. Think this would work? It would probably be
underpowered.

Could I weld the current rod?

You could just do the easy thing and install a Kohler on it. TB used
Kohler, B&S, Tecumseh, and a few even had Clintons on them. Shouldn't be
difficult to find one for it.

The catch with the Tecumseh is that the parts can be hard to get for
some engines.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York