Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Old troy bilt tiller update

The rods that I have broken had disintegrated bottom ends. Yours likely
broke from seizing on the crank journal - it's toast. But a rod shouldn't
be that expensive to replace - get your model number and Google "Tecumseh
parts".

Then tear it down. If there's many other parts broken (unlikely), the
replacement costs can add up quickly. But you have to tear it down to
know.

I've tried and "lernt the hard way", Tecumseh is a maintenance free product.
When it breaks throw it away. get another. Not made well enough to fix. I
spent 2/3 the cost of a new one on a rebuild, plus three evenings, and then
the damn thing only lasted maybe another 100 hours. Now, Kohler engines are
made to rebuild; I've had good success there.

Karl