Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O Greg O is offline

Default Troy Bilt Tiller HH60 engine replacement?

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an old troy bilt tiller about 1981, that broke a rod. It is the
HH60 engine. I have chaecked everywhere and no replacement rod is
available. It is discontinued. I believe it is a 6 horse engine.

I am wanting to get it running before next spring cheaply. I have a
new Harbor Freight store that opened up and has a 6.5 horse engine for
sale for 139.99. Can anyone help me determine if it will work? I think
there is a similar engine oline at their website.

I belive my shaft is 3/4 inch and 2 5/16 long. But the literature says
I think (not sure) it is a 2 9/16 bolt pattern. I cant seem to
determine that. WOudl it be hard to get that thing to work?

Also, on a tiller, is it possible to use the engines with the throttle
control on the engine?

Keep in mind why the rod broke! My bet is 25 years on a roto tiller the
crankshaft rod pin is worn undersize, and the cylinder bore is worn out of
spec, as well as valves and guides too. Also the carburetor throttle shaft
wears to. If you attempt to rebuild this engine look it over well. Most
times they are junk at this point.
As far as mounting another engine, my guess is you have the larger rear tine
Troy Built tiller, not just any engine will bolt up to this frame because of
the drive configuration. You should be able to find an engine without too
much trouble though.
Here is a 6.5 B&S that should work.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...PN=121332-0036

Put the model of your tiller in here and engine that will fit will show up.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...rand=Troy-Bilt

Greg