Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Homelite ST175 String trimmer parts?

On the way home yesterday, stopped at a yard sale and purchased a
rather good looking Homelite ST-175 (17") string trimmer for $3.
It has a cracked fuel tank and Im looking for a replacement

Trimmer model ST-175, (20541B on lable on shaft)

According to the 'net..the fuel tank appears to be part# A01441

Any good (cheap) sources for one?

Trimmer is complete, with good compression.and in good cosmetic
condition. Good spark.

It appears to have had something dropped on the tank at the top, so
its worth repairing

Thanks

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

Home Depot is a source to order parts from, but they'd be full-boat retail. Ask
any yard service guy. However, Homelite is crap, I went through a few until I
started buying Echo. We use them to keep the shop's grounds in order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:59:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Here in the desert..a string trimmer lasts for years, as we have
little but dry grass to trim back, and that not very much of.

This one is marked Made in USA...so figured it was better than
nothing.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check Homelite's site. $8.00

--
Bruce

We use the word "politics" to precisely describe our crazy process: "Poli"
in Latin means "many" and "tics" means "bloodsucking creatures".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Not on the subject, but did you ever get that welder engine apart?
Kinda lost track of that one.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:23:39 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Nope...#1 is frozen into the cylinder pretty well. Kroil passes
through the other three..but not this one.

Pulled the pan, tapped from the bottom, pulled the rod cap..tapped
from the bottom...still no movememt. Im going to have to pull the rod
caps on all of them, try to get the rods free of the crank, and turn
the crank enough to get #1 free from the crank, then smack the ****
out of it with a BFH. ...or bust out the piston with a hammer and
chisel.

I cant even pull the engine without freeing the crank, cause the genny
bolts that connect the welder to the flywheel are accessable through a
single small porthole..and one has to turn the crank to get access to
each individual bolt.

Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before
long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a
hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil
and cover it back up again.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought a weed eater Saturday for$2, it is so old it has two main
bearings (model 1400). The Homelite I got 5 years ago for $2 because
it was "leaking oil"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Sounds like FUN to me. If you take all the rod caps off you "should" be
able to turn the crank and free the gen. I'm just wondering what kind
of moron would design something like that?

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before
long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a
hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil
and cover it back up again.

Gunner

Here's a strange idea. Make a 1/2" thick plate with a 1/2" nipple in it. Bolt
it on the offending cylinder with some type of gasket. Hook up a hydraulic pump
to the nipple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Gonna have to ask the folks at Miller about that...shrug

Guy who sold it to me offered to go through the engine, hell of a
machinist with a vERY well equipped shop and a bunch of his guys are
motorheads...but Ive got to bring it to them.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:32:14 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before
long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a
hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil
and cover it back up again.

Gunner

Here's a strange idea. Make a 1/2" thick plate with a 1/2" nipple in it. Bolt
it on the offending cylinder with some type of gasket. Hook up a hydraulic pump
to the nipple.

Actually...not a bad idea

Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first
though.....

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before
long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a
hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil
and cover it back up again.

Gunner

Here's a strange idea. Make a 1/2" thick plate with a 1/2" nipple in it. Bolt
it on the offending cylinder with some type of gasket. Hook up a hydraulic pump
to the nipple.

Actually...not a bad idea

Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first
though.....

And used quite a bit. Using a standard grease gun for a pump and a plate
with a zerk on it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:26:36 -0400, "Steve W." wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 01:32:14 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote...

Its kinda on the back burner at the moment..Ill get back to it before
long. Everytime I go by it..I smack the top of the piston with a
hammer and a chunk of wook a couple times, pour in some fresh Kroil
and cover it back up again.

Here's a strange idea. Make a 1/2" thick plate with a 1/2" nipple in it. Bolt
it on the offending cylinder with some type of gasket. Hook up a hydraulic pump
to the nipple.

Actually...not a bad idea

Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first
though.....

Well, that would be the place to start - if you can't save the
block, worrying about the piston is secondary.

And used quite a bit. Using a standard grease gun for a pump and a plate
with a zerk on it.

Could even use grease as the working medium if you have a big bucket
- cartridges would be a waste. That, or a porta-power hand pump, or
an air-over-hydraulic pump...

Just make sure it's well bled when you apply 3000 PSI, or once that
piston starts moving it might not stop - you start with a one-piece
crankshaft, and end with a two-piece crank and a new round crater in
the driveway... ;-)

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A grease gun sounds like a lot of work, we need horsepower here! Besides, we
can talk Gunner into video recording the whole thing!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

....out of the mouth of...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Actually...not a bad idea

Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first
though.....

And used quite a bit. Using a standard grease gun for a pump and a plate with
a zerk on it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

A grease gun sounds like a lot of work, we need horsepower here! Besides, we
can talk Gunner into video recording the whole thing!

AAHH now I see your plan,

Gunner, Could you practice saying "Hey y'all watch this"....

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:28:45 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Actually...not a bad idea

Id have to pull some of the busted head bolts and replace em first
though.....

And used quite a bit. Using a standard grease gun for a pump and a plate with
a zerk on it.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

A grease gun sounds like a lot of work, we need horsepower here! Besides, we
can talk Gunner into video recording the whole thing!

AAHH now I see your plan,

Gunner, Could you practice saying "Hey y'all watch this"....

Only if someone holds my beer...er Monster

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Unless the stuck piston is at the bottom of its stroke, in which case trying
to drive it down would not be effective, it may be possible to rotate the
crankshaft enough to swing the rod to the side and thus be able to rotate
the crank enough to get the attaching bolts out. Removing the rod bolts will
get you some extra clearance. It is possible but somewhat hazardous to cut
the connecting rod out of the way with a torch or possibly a small abrasive
wheel. Sacrifice the piston and/or rod to save the block. Hydraulic forcing
has some potential to crack the block.

It is not unusual to be unable to disconnect an engine without rotating it
to reach the connecting bolts.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Its stuck at nearly the bottom. Only a couple degrees off of it.

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:13:35 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

That COULD be part of the problem. If that cyl is very near the bottom
you may be hammering against the crank and it's not going to go
anywhere. Perhaps if you could get that one rod off the crank, you
might be able to hammer on the bolt ends (with nuts installed, of
course) and drive the piston UP. Just a thought.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

That's what caught my eye about the Weed eater 1400 I splurged ($2)
for on Saturday - A horizontally mounted cylinder, 3" dia. x 4 1/2"
long with the gas cap centered topside. The only way to describe it is
"CUTE" - see:
http://flymo-partner.motoruf.de/FIPL...ETE/WE1400.PDF

part no.4 on page 1
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I stuck a hardwood dowel into the bottom of the piston and did my best
to smack it upwards, though with limited clearance of the machine
base..couldnt put a lot of Smack into it. I didnt beat on the exposed
skirts of course....G

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I stuck a hardwood dowel into the bottom of the piston and did my best
to smack it upwards, though with limited clearance of the machine
base..couldnt put a lot of Smack into it. I didnt beat on the exposed
skirts of course....G

Gunner

Since you can get to the bottom of the piston here is another thing to
try. Make up a piece that will allow you to put even pressure on the
piston. Now take a small hydraulic jack and put it in there. What I
usually do when I try this is to put the jack on the ground or arrange
it in such a way that the weight of the engine will be held by the jack
lifting on the piston. Jack it up so there is some pressure on the
piston. Now use a weed burner to heat the block. Then let it set. they
usually break loose in a couple days. Then jack the piston out.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

Gunner

Your best solution might be a weed whip if they still make 'em. This
scythe-like implement is the manual ancestor of the weedwhacker.
They're incredibly effective if sharp, once one learns the technique.
It's all in the wrist. It's actually less fatiguing than hanging onto
the weight and vibration of a gas weedeater, and they're very quiet.
They don't do as good a job on borders as a weedwhacker, though, as
when holding it sideways to route out a groove while driving sand and
green **** into the shins of your jeans.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

No, it's just a challenge. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome.

For the "Less Fab Time" option, an anodized aluminum quart fuel
bottle for a backpacking stove. Get an extra cap and drill a hole for
the fuel pickup hose, epoxy in a chink of brass tubing, all you need
to fab are the mounting straps.

Or weld up your own tank from a chunk of large thin-wall tubing and
weld plugs on the ends & mount tabs to bolt it to the trimmer. Gas
Cap would be a brass garden hose cap and gasket. For the fill neck
you weld a 3/4" NPT tank bung to the tank, then screw in a brass 3/4"
NPT Male to 3/4" GHT Male adapter, and a good coating of Permatex #2
on the threads.

Of course, you know about the weighted gas pickup hose dongle trick
- a round or square plate and gasket, three or four holes on the
perimeter for 6/32 screws to clamp it down to the tank body, with a
chunk of tube brazed in a hole for the double barb - inside end for
the pickup and outside for the fuel line.

Goop the screws and gasket with a bit of the Permatex #2.

You could use this pickup plate trick on the campstove bottle if you
curve it to match the bottle wall OD, and put Rivnuts in the tank wall
for the screws.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats doable..might have some around here..thin wall tubing about 3"

Of course, you know about the weighted gas pickup hose dongle trick
- a round or square plate and gasket, three or four holes on the
perimeter for 6/32 screws to clamp it down to the tank body, with a
chunk of tube brazed in a hole for the double barb - inside end for
the pickup and outside for the fuel line.

Goop the screws and gasket with a bit of the Permatex #2.

You could use this pickup plate trick on the campstove bottle if you
curve it to match the bottle wall OD, and put Rivnuts in the tank wall
for the screws.

-- Bruce --

So...so much to do..so little time.

In the past..I have used an old steel military canteen with a modified
cap for a fuel tank for a small engine. Priming was problematic
though....

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft
ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

Gunner

Your best solution might be a weed whip if they still make 'em.

Also called a "grass whip":
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-seymou...e-30--pi-12745
29.html

Good out in the open, not so good for trimming close to things. Hard to
find one with good steel in the blade, so many are permanently dull and
thus hard to use. Older units are better, and cheap at flea markets.
Simple enough to home-brew one.

Joe Gwinn

This
scythe-like implement is the manual ancestor of the weedwhacker.
They're incredibly effective if sharp, once one learns the technique.
It's all in the wrist. It's actually less fatiguing than hanging onto
the weight and vibration of a gas weedeater, and they're very quiet.
They don't do as good a job on borders as a weedwhacker, though, as
when holding it sideways to route out a groove while driving sand and
green **** into the shins of your jeans.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:03:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

I have one of those, passed down to me from my father. They work quite
well and it's very easy vent your frustrations while using them.

I got bored of using it, though. It's quite tiring to repeatedly yell
"FORE" before each stroke and each backstroke.

I found a better use for it up here in Oregon. I taped the sharp edges
off and used it to toss the debris out of my gutters before blowing
them clean. I just wish it was a foot and a half longer.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

I found a better use for it up here in Oregon. I taped the sharp

edges
off and used it to toss the debris out of my gutters before blowing
them clean. I just wish it was a foot and a half longer.

FAR better uses are found in La Florida. Them thangs's called "snake
sticks" 'round these parts.

Y'kin trim yer grass, and pin a Massagua with the same tool. Got me
'bout a 18-inch-er a couple of months ago -- right up by the front
porch.

(No, you don't cut the snake in two with 'em, you pin 'em, and pick
'em up fer study and/or lunch!)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:44:59 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Its been at least 25 yrs since Ive seen one of those things. Not gonna
be fun trimming between the cactus.

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

I guess that a cutting torch or C-4 are your only alternatives now.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:24:47 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Its been at least 25 yrs since Ive seen one of those things. Not gonna
be fun trimming between the cactus.

For 'tween-cacti trimming, you need one of the HF 93918 floor
scrapers, mon. It's 6" wide and 4' long, so it makes a dainty and
lovely shovel.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:15:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:24:47 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Its been at least 25 yrs since Ive seen one of those things. Not gonna
be fun trimming between the cactus.

For 'tween-cacti trimming, you need one of the HF 93918 floor
scrapers, mon. It's 6" wide and 4' long, so it makes a dainty and
lovely shovel.

I dont want to dig anything up..just wack it off

Ive shade cloth under the dirt in the cactus gardens, so much of the
weeds etc dont grow between the plants, but up through and around the
cacti

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

om...

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Im gonna try to move the con rods off the crank when I get some time.
If I can do this...Ill smack the piston with a BFH and a block of
wood. At the worst..if I can turn the crank, I can turn the genset to
get the bolts out and pull the engine..then take it to the seller and
let HIM fix it. He offered....

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:8qr4b49gfibo6vs9fglhpdl4u8kk9u3uj6@4ax. com...

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

That sounds like the most logical plan to me.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:51:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:24:47 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Its been at least 25 yrs since Ive seen one of those things. Not gonna
be fun trimming between the cactus.

For 'tween-cacti trimming, you need one of the HF 93918 floor
scrapers, mon. It's 6" wide and 4' long, so it makes a dainty and
lovely shovel.

I dont want to dig anything up..just wack it off

Ive shade cloth under the dirt in the cactus gardens, so much of the
weeds etc dont grow between the plants, but up through and around the
cacti

I tend to slide the shovel about an inch down in a flat skimming
motion. That takes some of the root, too. Then rake it back over the
weed mass and it rolls out. Bag it and dump it.