Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Homelite ST175 String trimmer parts?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:03:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:25:35 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 10:13:35 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 18:52:59 -0400, "Tom Gardner"

Does it have a bent tube and flex shaft or a gear box? The flex shaft ones are
rated for homeowner use only.

Bent, with flex shaft. I just tossed one last April.

Its a bent flex shaft. Shrug...I have no need of an industrial string
trimmer, there is so little vegitation here that Ive managed for years
with a B&D electric trimmer, but the cord is a pain in the ass to deal
with over long distances and getting hung in the cactus.

Ive another gas trimmer, a Mitsubishi...chuckle but finding a new gas
tank for it..is impossible.

Gunner

Your best solution might be a weed whip if they still make 'em. This
scythe-like implement is the manual ancestor of the weedwhacker.
They're incredibly effective if sharp, once one learns the technique.
It's all in the wrist. It's actually less fatiguing than hanging onto
the weight and vibration of a gas weedeater, and they're very quiet.
They don't do as good a job on borders as a weedwhacker, though, as
when holding it sideways to route out a groove while driving sand and
green **** into the shins of your jeans.

I have one of those, passed down to me from my father. They work quite
well and it's very easy vent your frustrations while using them.

I got bored of using it, though. It's quite tiring to repeatedly yell
"FORE" before each stroke and each backstroke.

I found a better use for it up here in Oregon. I taped the sharp edges
off and used it to toss the debris out of my gutters before blowing
them clean. I just wish it was a foot and a half longer.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.