Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default math help

I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of room).
If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other side? (I
am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if roofing
metal or shingles would be cheaper. I can get metal for 3 dollars a
foot.

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 8:45*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:80401bcf-e992-
:

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Forgot to answer that part:

You can, but you need collar ties between the rim beams to hold the ridge
up (think "ceiling rafters"). *Remember that a ridge board doesn't hold
_anything_ up unless it's on center-posts, it is _held_up_ by the
rafters, which, if allowed to spread at the walls, will sag. *Ridge
boards are just convenient nailing surfaces for the rafter tops, and a
way to longitudinally brace the rafters at the same time.

For that small a job, I'd be tempted to make up my own trusses with
gusset-glue-n-nail. *They're not code anywhere anymore, but simple to
make, and plenty strong enough for a simple pole barn.

By the time you get a ridge board and all those collar ties in place,
you'd have spent more than for trusses.

LLoyd

How would i go about making my own trusses like that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

[...]

If you're going to have a slab in the barn, it's extra-easy. You just
build a jig on the floor, and assemble them one-at-a-time; then stack 'em
up outside until you get them all built.

Standard truss designs for that short a span are all over the web. A
quick search will turn up several. If that doesn't satisfy, get a book,
or buy ONE truss from a truss yard that has some leftovers, and copy it.

Or just buy unclaimed trusses of WHATEVER length they happen to have
lying around, and re-plan your barn size accordingly. That's a popular
option with pole barn builders, and leftovers can usually be had cheaply.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 10:16*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

:

[...]

LLoyd- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately, I dont have the money for a slab right now, I have to
stick with gravel.

I am open to changing the dimensions, but I live in a smaller town and
dont thing I could find some "unused" trusses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trusses typically have been too cheap to build your own, on a building that
size.
I'd price them before you commit to making your own.

"stryped" wrote in message
I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of room).
If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other side? (I
am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if roofing
metal or shingles would be cheaper. I can get metal for 3 dollars a
foot.

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon" wrote in message
Trusses typically have been too cheap to build your own, on a building
that size.
I'd price them before you commit to making your own.

Be sure to factor in the delivery costs if they have to be trucked in.

If they have to be trucked in from more than 50 miles away, the delivery fee
may get a bit stiff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote in message
"Jon" wrote in message
Trusses typically have been too cheap to build your own, on a building
that size.
I'd price them before you commit to making your own.

Be sure to factor in the delivery costs if they have to be trucked in.

If they have to be trucked in from more than 50 miles away, the delivery
fee may get a bit stiff.

you don't say where in the world you are, but you might look on your
craigslist. here's one from today near me

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mat/775000139.html

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 12:16*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"RAM³" wrote in message

"Jon" wrote in message
Trusses typically have been too cheap to build your own, on a building
that size.
I'd price them before you commit to making your own.

Be sure to factor in the delivery costs if they have to be trucked in.

If they have to be trucked in from more than 50 miles away, the delivery
fee may get a bit stiff.

you don't say where in the world you are, but you might look on your
craigslist. here's one from today near me

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mat/775000139.html

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

I live near Nashville Tennessee

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
For that small a job, I'd be tempted to make up my own trusses with
gusset-glue-n-nail. They're not code anywhere anymore, but simple to
make, and plenty strong enough for a simple pole barn.

How would i go about making my own trusses like that?

I set up a place in an old "wagon sheed" with a flat level
spot at each place where a splice plate was to go and pre-cut
all the 1/2 " plywood peices (one on each side of the joints)
Nailed and glued the joints as I made them. Am pretty sure it was
a W truss. (probably lots of refrences to truss design on the web)
I did use one foot overhang on the truss ends but none on the gable
ends.

...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Never use 2x4 for anything in a rafter. They are to light to hold the load.

2x6 is the smallest I would consider. 2x12 is more like the wood for that
size.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of room).
If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other side? (I
am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if roofing
metal or shingles would be cheaper. I can get metal for 3 dollars a
foot.

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin, that is really quite a small span for trusses. It would
be extremely unusual to see anything other than 2x4s.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Never use 2x4 for anything in a rafter. They are to light to
hold the load.

2x6 is the smallest I would consider. 2x12 is more like the
wood for that
size.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at
consolidated dot net
TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's
Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of
room).
If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other
side? (I
am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if
roofing
metal or shingles would be cheaper. I can get metal for 3
dollars a
foot.

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4
ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Thanks!

Usenet News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" fired this volley in
:

Never use 2x4 for anything in a rafter. They are to light to hold the
load.

2x6 is the smallest I would consider. 2x12 is more like the wood for
that size.

For flying rafters on that small a span, I'd recommend 2x6, but for hand-
built trusses, 2x4 lumber is much more than adequate.

Although I don't approve, code permits mobile home trusses to be 2x2 up
to 14' span. That at least gives you an idea of the strength of a "W"
truss design relative to the lumber size.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 4:52*pm, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
[...]

I built one about 30 years ago. Built my own trusses just as Lloyd said.
Used SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) on 2 ft centers used that Onduline
stuff for the sides and roof. Had to replace it a few years ago.
this time used V grove steel. Posts are 4 x 6 on 10 ft ctrs.
Square is a pair of 2 x 10. Forget what the spacing of the purlins
is and its in PA while I'm in NM so cant go out and look. :-)
* * ...lew...- Hide quoted text -

What exactly is Onduline and is it cheaper to use than metal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

What exactly is Onduline and is it cheaper to use than metal?

I was (not sure it even exists any lomger) a sheet material with
ripple corrogations like the old style galvanize made out of a
heavy "tar like" stuff with some sort of fibre reinforcing and a
color coat on the one side. At the time is was being touted as
longer lived and more resistant to damage than the other products.
It wasent realy too bad, easier to handle, cut, and nail but it
did deterioate over the 20 years or so it was on. I wouldn't
recomend it, if it's still available.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

24 feet by 30 feet - that isn't small.
Our small 'yard barn' is 12x24 and the 2x4's that the former owner put in
have broken at every knot and hard grain. I'm going in to double width
and triple in most cases - these until I can replace the roof and rafters.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

DanG wrote:
Martin, that is really quite a small span for trusses. It would
be extremely unusual to see anything other than 2x4s.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

I have six little houses that are built this way with about a 10 foot
stretch between the ridge and the wall.

They sag so much that I made steel trusses to jack they back to being flat.

I am for building your own trusses, you will have a much stronger roof that
way.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
24 feet by 30 feet - that isn't small.
Our small 'yard barn' is 12x24 and the 2x4's that the former owner put in
have broken at every knot and hard grain. I'm going in to double width
and triple in most cases - these until I can replace the roof and rafters.

Martin

I wonder what grade of 2 x 4s he used? If they were the typical
"whitewood" from the "home supply" places I'm not too supprised.
Trusses should be made from SYP (southern yellow pine) graded
for the application. My pole barn (as mentioned before) is 24 x
40 an is still very much in excelent condx. after about 30 yrs.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might have yellow pine studs - hard as rock now.

Yes - tons of pine around here - in the middle of East Texas Piney woods.
I suspect they are just junk 2x4 and not clear wood (knots are not in studs).

I look at houses - I don't see 2x4 on houses.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
24 feet by 30 feet - that isn't small.
Our small 'yard barn' is 12x24 and the 2x4's that the former owner put in
have broken at every knot and hard grain. I'm going in to double width
and triple in most cases - these until I can replace the roof and
rafters.

Martin

I wonder what grade of 2 x 4s he used? If they were the typical
"whitewood" from the "home supply" places I'm not too supprised.
Trusses should be made from SYP (southern yellow pine) graded
for the application. My pole barn (as mentioned before) is 24 x
40 an is still very much in excelent condx. after about 30 yrs.
...lew...

So what math did YOU do today? Huh? Tim Williams Electronic Schematics 75 August 7th 08 04:22 AM
Let's try to do the math Ignoramus5114 Metalworking 6 October 21st 07 07:08 AM
What Math Conversions Do You Need? javawizard Home Repair 16 October 20th 07 04:18 AM
math and metalworking mj Metalworking 74 February 1st 06 07:08 PM
I need a little bit of math help. Modat22 Metalworking 11 May 4th 05 04:16 PM