Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default math help

Martin, that is really quite a small span for trusses. It would
be extremely unusual to see anything other than 2x4s.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Never use 2x4 for anything in a rafter. They are to light to
hold the load.

2x6 is the smallest I would consider. 2x12 is more like the
wood for that
size.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at
consolidated dot net
TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's
Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

stryped wrote:
I am wanting to build a 24x30 pole barn garage. (Runnign out of
room).
If I use a 5/12 pitch roof, what is the length of the other
side? (I
am trying to determine the survae area of the roof to see if
roofing
metal or shingles would be cheaper. I can get metal for 3
dollars a
foot.

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4
ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Thanks!

Usenet News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
100,000 Newsgroups