Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default math help

"Martin H. Eastburn" fired this volley in
:

Never use 2x4 for anything in a rafter. They are to light to hold the
load.

2x6 is the smallest I would consider. 2x12 is more like the wood for
that size.

For flying rafters on that small a span, I'd recommend 2x6, but for hand-
built trusses, 2x4 lumber is much more than adequate.

Although I don't approve, code permits mobile home trusses to be 2x2 up
to 14' span. That at least gives you an idea of the strength of a "W"
truss design relative to the lumber size.

LLoyd