Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default math help

On Jul 30, 10:16*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley :

On Jul 30, 8:45*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in
:

Also, instead of purchasing trusses, could I just make a 2x4 ridge
board and run 2x4 rafters down from that?

Forgot to answer that part:

You can, but you need collar ties between the rim beams to hold the
ridge up (think "ceiling rafters"). *Remember that a ridge board
doesn't hold _anything_ up unless it's on center-posts, it is
_held_up_ by the rafters, which, if allowed to spread at the walls,
will sag. *Ridge boards are just convenient nailing surfaces for the
rafter tops, and a way to longitudinally brace the rafters at the
same time.

For that small a job, I'd be tempted to make up my own trusses with
gusset-glue-n-nail. *They're not code anywhere anymore, but simple to
make, and plenty strong enough for a simple pole barn.

By the time you get a ridge board and all those collar ties in place,
you'd have spent more than for trusses.

LLoyd

How would i go about making my own trusses like that?

If you're going to have a slab in the barn, it's extra-easy. *You just
build a jig on the floor, and assemble them one-at-a-time; then stack 'em
up outside until you get them all built.

Standard truss designs for that short a span are all over the web. *A
quick search will turn up several. *If that doesn't satisfy, get a book,
or buy ONE truss from a truss yard that has some leftovers, and copy it.

Or just buy unclaimed trusses of WHATEVER length they happen to have
lying around, and re-plan your barn size accordingly. *That's a popular
option with pole barn builders, and leftovers can usually be had cheaply.

LLoyd- Hide quoted text -

Unfortunately, I dont have the money for a slab right now, I have to
stick with gravel.

I am open to changing the dimensions, but I live in a smaller town and
dont thing I could find some "unused" trusses.