Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 9 x 20 import lathe plus tooling for sale, $1250, Monterey CA

So I've finely put up my 9x20 lathe for sale.

This is a link to the CraigsList add that has pictures, you all know what
these lathes look like but there is a shot of the bed and of all the
tooling.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/749804641.html

Here's the text of the add.

This lathe is located in Monterey and must be picked up. You need to be able
to lift one end to help load it.

It is the 9x20 import lathe sold by Enco, Jet, Grizzly, Harbor Freight etc.
It was manufactured in 1988 and is in excellent shape.

It comes with it's original parts manual, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck (which is
pretty useless), face plate, steady rest, compound tool holder and optional
cabinet stand and work light.

I have replaced the compound with a VERY stout 4 way mounted directly on the
crossslide, trust me you'll never put the compound back on.

There is a reversible ratchet wrench for the tailstock, which is worth it's
weight in gold if you do a lot of tailstock work.

It comes with a broad array of tooling.

A real 5" 4 jaw chuck.
Five 3/8" shank indexable TT style tool holders that fit the 4 way.
One TT style indexable boring bar.
Three 1/2" shank 3/16 square tool holders that fit the original compound.
One Jacobs drill chuck for the tail stock.
One Live center for the tailstock.
One MT#2 dead center for the tailstock.
Two MT#3 dead centers for the spindle.
One MT3# to MT2# adaptor.
One MT2# to MT#2 extension.

It also comes with a brand new spare half-nut and spare drive belts.

I'm selling this because I bought a bigger lathe and need the room.

Dave August
831-372-3277

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks very nicely maintained.

On 2008-07-10, Dave August wrote:
[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is Iggy,

I hate to sell , I've had for 15 years and built my 4-4-0 with it....but I
never use it now that I have the 5914 and figured someone else should have
fun with it..

Besides, I need the room for the 2-10-2 :-)

--.- Dave

"Ignoramus16954" wrote in message
Looks very nicely maintained.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-10, Dave August wrote:
It is Iggy,

I hate to sell , I've had for 15 years and built my 4-4-0 with it....but I
never use it now that I have the 5914 and figured someone else should have
fun with it..

Besides, I need the room for the 2-10-2 :-)

What is 2-10-2, a steam engine wheel arrangement?

"Ignoramus16954" wrote in message
Looks very nicely maintained.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-10, Dave August wrote:
So I've finely put up my 9x20 lathe for sale.

[ ... ]

It is the 9x20 import lathe sold by Enco, Jet, Grizzly, Harbor Freight etc.
It was manufactured in 1988 and is in excellent shape.

It comes with it's original parts manual, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck (which is
pretty useless), face plate, steady rest, compound tool holder and optional
cabinet stand and work light.

I have replaced the compound with a VERY stout 4 way mounted directly on the
crossslide, trust me you'll never put the compound back on.

Hmm ... have you ever done any threading on this machine? I
would want a compound when threading to allow the flank angle infeed
instead of straight in infeed.

And the photos don't seem to include the compound, which I do
include in the list of parts, and which is not on the cross-slide. Nor
do they include the "useless" 4-jaw chuck, face plate, and steady rest.

Not that it really matters to me -- I don't think that I'm
anywhere close enough to pick it up, even if I wanted it. But it might
matter to those who are close enough.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don,

As stated, the compound, "useless" 4 jaw, steady rest and face plate are
included, just not pictured, those are "standard equipment" with the machine
and I figured anyone who was interested in this lathe knew what they looked
like from the Enco/Jet/Grizzly web sites.. I was more interested in
picturing all the extra tooling.

I have threaded on this machine and trust me, that compound is such a piece
of s!@# you are better off plunging straight in off that "stout" 4 way than
trying to use the compound.

--.- Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep a 2-10-2 is a wheel arrangment...

I'm doing a model of Sugar Pine Lumber Companys SPL #5 "The Mighty Minaret"
a 2-10-2T. It's a saddle tanker of great proportions, used it to haul 100
car log trains down from the the mountains in Madera county California to a
lumber mill in the central valley.

--.- Dave

What is 2-10-2, a steam engine wheel arrangement?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:41:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

So I've finely put up my 9x20 lathe for sale.

This is a link to the CraigsList add that has pictures, you all know what
these lathes look like but there is a shot of the bed and of all the
tooling.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/749804641.html

Newp, it's too big (I wanted a mini-mill, remember?) and too pricy
(handyman work is practically non-existent right now, despite Shrub's
stimulus package. The only call I received this week was to estimate
repairing of a plain pine casket which got dropped. Fun! Now I wait
weeks/months for the freight company to ponder it.)

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So I've finely put up my 9x20 lathe for sale.

This is a link to the CraigsList add that has pictures, you all know what
these lathes look like but there is a shot of the bed and of all the
tooling.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/tls/749804641.html

Newp, it's too big (I wanted a mini-mill, remember?) and too pricy
(handyman work is practically non-existent right now, despite Shrub's
stimulus package. The only call I received this week was to estimate
repairing of a plain pine casket which got dropped. Fun! Now I wait
weeks/months for the freight company to ponder it.)

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:10:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

What parts of "small", "mini-mill", and "vertical" did you miss?
(Wull, OK, I didn't say "vertical" this time, but still...

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

What parts of "small", "mini-mill", and "vertical" did you miss?
(Wull, OK, I didn't say "vertical" this time, but still...

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================

What the hell can you make on a "mini mill" other than doll house
furniture and maybe model train stuff????

Whats the point?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:45:47 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

What parts of "small", "mini-mill", and "vertical" did you miss?
(Wull, OK, I didn't say "vertical" this time, but still...

What the hell can you make on a "mini mill" other than doll house
furniture and maybe model train stuff????

Awww, you're just jealous 'cuz you have the gorgeous Gorton Grande.

Whats the point?

Everything I've ever needed to make has been small enough to do on a
mini-mill. Besides, I don't have the ROOM for anything larger.
There's a 14" wide path from door to door and a path only 2/3 of the
way from the house to the large gar^H^H^Hshop door. A fire marshall
would have a freakin' field day with me. (Shhhh!)

---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

What parts of "small", "mini-mill", and "vertical" did you miss?
(Wull, OK, I didn't say "vertical" this time, but still...

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
==================================

What the hell can you make on a "mini mill" other than doll house
furniture and maybe model train stuff????

Whats the point?

Derringers?

Mark Rand(running)
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:21:06 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

Also, it's not a mini-mill, which I want to pick up first.

Thanks for thinking of me, though, mon.

There is a Diamond Horizontal Miller, similar to a Burke, for $300 at
one of my secret surplus places, but its probably 600lbs on the base

What parts of "small", "mini-mill", and "vertical" did you miss?
(Wull, OK, I didn't say "vertical" this time, but still...

What the hell can you make on a "mini mill" other than doll house
furniture and maybe model train stuff????

Whats the point?

Derringers?

Ah, if it's pistol parts you're wanting, lad, I believe a mini-mill is
large enough to mill out a nice cylinder for a .50BMG revolver.

Got Wrists? wink

---