woodworker88

Default Lathe Tooling?

Our robotics team just acquired an old Craftsman 12" lathe and it came
with limited tooling. If anyone in the SF Bay Area has old tooling
they are going to throw out, we are interested in taking it.
Specifically, we are looking for some old carbide tipped or carbide
insert tools, but we can also use regular tooling and toolposts. We
are open to buying used tooling, but we would like the option of seeing
it in person rather than buying sight unseen. Thanks,
woodworker88
Los Altos High School Eagle Strike Robotics Team
www.lahsrobotics.org

Jerry Foster

I have no idea of what you have, but what you "need" is an experienced lathe
operator who can give you some guidance. Lathe "tooling" (depending on what
you already have) is not all that expensive, especially if you buy a few HSS
tool blanks and grind them as needed.

I would suggest you visit the folks at West Valley Live Steam (meets 4th
Friday evening at SLAC) or South Bay Metal Workers (meets 2nd Tuesday
evening in Cupertino) where you could find people who have spent a lot of
hours bent over a lathe who would be more than willing to share their rather
considerable expertise with you.

I am a member of both groups and would be happy to introduce you.

Jerry
"woodworker88" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our robotics team just acquired an old Craftsman 12" lathe and it came
with limited tooling. If anyone in the SF Bay Area has old tooling
they are going to throw out, we are interested in taking it.
Specifically, we are looking for some old carbide tipped or carbide
insert tools, but we can also use regular tooling and toolposts. We
are open to buying used tooling, but we would like the option of seeing
it in person rather than buying sight unseen. Thanks,
woodworker88
Los Altos High School Eagle Strike Robotics Team
www.lahsrobotics.org

Chuck Sherwood

In article . com,
they are going to throw out, we are interested in taking it.

I hate to break it to you, but lathe "tooling" is frequently
worth more than the lathe and considerably easier to sell as
well. Search ebay for craftsman/atlas lathe to get an idea
of the current prices. I sold 2 craftsmans lathes a while
back and had numerous offers to buy the accessories which
I turned down because I knew it would make selling the machines
difficult.

If all you need is misc carbide toolbits, I suggest you
visit enco or msc web sites.
www.use-enco.com
www.mscdirect.com
Brian Lawson

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:13:11 GMT, "Jerry Foster"
wrote:

I have no idea of what you have, but what you "need" is an experienced lathe
operator who can give you some guidance. Lathe "tooling" (depending on what
you already have) is not all that expensive, especially if you buy a few HSS
tool blanks and grind them as needed.

I would suggest you visit the folks at West Valley Live Steam (meets 4th
Friday evening at SLAC) or South Bay Metal Workers (meets 2nd Tuesday
evening in Cupertino) where you could find people who have spent a lot of
hours bent over a lathe who would be more than willing to share their rather
considerable expertise with you.

I am a member of both groups and would be happy to introduce you.

Jerry
"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey Jerry,

I took it to be a 12" Craftsman WOOD-turning lathe from the OP's
description. Your suggestion has great merit in any case!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
woodworker88

Thanks, guys.
I'll start looking around for some stuff.
BTW, I wish I had a 12 " wood lathe.

Brian Lawson

On 26 Aug 2005 07:09:11 -0700, "woodworker88"
wrote:

Thanks, guys.
I'll start looking around for some stuff.
BTW, I wish I had a 12 " wood lathe.

Whoops...sorry if I mis-understood. Indeed, take up Jerry's
suggestion.

Garage sales are good places if you live in a town where there
are/were lots of metal-workers.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Ken Sterling

Our robotics team just acquired an old Craftsman 12" lathe and it came
with limited tooling. If anyone in the SF Bay Area has old tooling
they are going to throw out, we are interested in taking it.
Specifically, we are looking for some old carbide tipped or carbide
insert tools, but we can also use regular tooling and toolposts. We
are open to buying used tooling, but we would like the option of seeing
it in person rather than buying sight unseen. Thanks,
woodworker88
Los Altos High School Eagle Strike Robotics Team
www.lahsrobotics.org

I very well may get flamed for this, but I would concentrate on HSS
tooling rather than carbide, as the 12" Craftsman lathe can do better
work with the HSS. A quick-change toolpost with toolholders would be
a good way to go. The old lantern toolpost works, but is a bit of a
pain and timewaster. The quick-change is to much nicer to use and is
quite a bit more rigid (which permits nicer work). Check e-bay, and
your local "scandel sales" papers in your area. There is stuff out
there - and some can be had for a song, but you just gotta look a bit.
HTH
Ken.

woodworker88

I happen to agree about the quick change toolpost, and if I can find
the tooling I will pick it up even if we haven't got the actual
toolpost yet.